[STILL UNSOLVED]I have an AMD A8-5500 APU, if I was to buy a GTX980 explain to me why it would bottleneck

CulDoes

@ , that's a deal, you convinced me to do this video. If that's what you've been led to believe then I fully understand why you think what you think. Maybe if my roommate lets me I'll also compare it to his i5-4690k+970 setup, but there's one issue, he's got a good gaming Z97 motherboard and much more expensive RAM sticks, what might make the comparison a little uneven, cause from what I've heard the FPS in game may vary depending on a motherboard you're using, also I'm not sure if it matters but my motherboard only has a PCI 2.0 x16 slot, which technically is more than enough but again, the results may vary. I guess I'll compare it anyway just to be sure the tests are done properly, I'll post it on this forum in the future ^^

Lol, the motherboard and quality of the RAM sticks makes utterly no difference at all to the performance of a computer unless its from the days of the Via Apollo Pro 133A chipset. And as for that PCIe slot, its another thing that shows the age of the FX line.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

@

This site did a comparison with the same sticks of RAM in multiple games changing frequencies and latencies, here's BF4 for example:

AvXnnJD.png

However it's very hard to believe for me that it's this big of a difference, I'd expect maybe 2-4 FPS difference between my 1866 CL10 Fury sticks and his 2400 CL10 g skills. In addition to that, are you sure that the quality of the motherboard doesn't affect performance? I mean the data flow between bridges and the CPU and the GPU might be affected by the quality of the build etc.

EDIT: their test rig included a i7-4790k and a GTX980 I believe, still weird though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

@

This site did a comparison with the same sticks of RAM in multiple games changing frequencies and latencies, here's BF4 for example:

AvXnnJD.png

However it's very hard to believe for me that it's this big of a difference, I'd expect maybe 2-4 FPS difference between my 1866 CL10 Fury sticks and his 2400 CL10 g skills. In addition to that, are you sure that the quality of the motherboard doesn't affect performance? I mean the data flow between bridges and the CPU and the GPU might be affected by the quality of the build etc.

EDIT: their test rig included a i7-4790k and a GTX980 I believe, still weird though.

Link please so I can see the rest of the article. And I've got an i7 4790K, GTX 970 (can't run be overclocked above stock), and 3 different sticks of RAM that I could use, with 1 lot being ultra low profile, and one single sided DDR3 1600.

PMSL

Link please so I can see the rest of the article. And I've got an i7 4790K, GTX 970 (can't run be overclocked above stock), and 3 different sticks of RAM that I could use, with 1 lot being ultra low profile, and one single sided DDR3 1600.

It's in Polish so all you can probably read are the graphs, but sure grab it: http://www.purepc.pl/pamieci_ram/jakie_pamieci_ram_wybrac_test_ddr3_13332400_mhz_w_grach?page=0,19

You can navigate through the bar below the chart, there are many different situations there from AIDA64 test and WinRAR to Watchdogs, Hitman and BF4.

Here's the best chart, most games shown and differences aren't so big: http://www.purepc.pl/pamieci_ram/jakie_pamieci_ram_wybrac_test_ddr3_13332400_mhz_w_grach?page=0,20

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

It's in Polish so all you can probably read are the graphs, but sure grab it: http://www.purepc.pl/pamieci_ram/jakie_pamieci_ram_wybrac_test_ddr3_13332400_mhz_w_grach?page=0,19

You can navigate through the bar below the chart, there are many different situations there from AIDA64 test and WinRAR to Watchdogs, Hitman and BF4.

Here's the best chart, most games shown and differences aren't so big: http://www.purepc.pl/pamieci_ram/jakie_pamieci_ram_wybrac_test_ddr3_13332400_mhz_w_grach?page=0,20

PMSL

@ yes I have watched it long time ago, and cause of it I always thought that RAM doesn't matter so I grabbed myself a 1600 CL10 Fury's and OC'd them to 1866 CL10 but apparrently it does? My god why are the results so different my head hurts.

@ yes I have watched it long time ago, and cause of it I always thought that RAM doesn't matter so I grabbed myself a 1600 CL10 Fury's and OC'd them to 1866 CL10 but apparrently it does? My god why are the results so different my head hurts.

Different systems, different installed software etc.

PMSL

Different systems, different installed software etc.

So I guess it might impact the performance and it's even hard to say by how much. Well but no excuses, I believe the FX-8350 won't be much worse cause I have not noticed any differences playing The Witcher 3 on his PC and him playing on mine. Never measured it though.

So I guess it might impact the performance and it's even hard to say by how much. Well but no excuses, I believe the FX-8350 won't be much worse cause I have not noticed any differences playing The Witcher 3 on his PC and him playing on mine. Never measured it though.

If you can do direct comparisons, since you've both got the same dGPU its more of a fair test as you can compare directly between the CPU.

PMSL

If you can do direct comparisons, since you've both got the same dGPU its more of a fair test as you can compare directly between the CPU.

I just realized I'm retarded. I can downclock his RAM to exact frequency and timings as I use to it being almost identical... Why didn't I think of this? Doesn't matter. Anyway I'll remember to send you the results when I'll do this.

Please read my question

It would bottleneck because as a CPU its extremely weak and can not 'feed' any decent graphics card. Also, you never use low end components with those that are high end.

PMSL

Your apu (cpu+integrated graphics) is very weak per core since it has to be used as a cpu and apu

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA

Your apu (cpu+integrated graphics) is very weak per core since it has to be used as a cpu and apu

Not quite, it is weak because the bulldozer line of architecture had bad single threaded performance due to low ipc. It has nothing to do with the fact that it has an igpu.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

All I would like to understand is why the CPU wouldn't be able to support a GTX980 or in general why a CPU wont support certain GPU's, I know about why the PSU can be an issue but why cant certain CPU's handle certain GPU's?

Edit: No-one below has actually answered the question, Explain to me why a CPU bottlenecks a GPU is it its threads, cores, clock speed what, how do you know just by reading specs that one wont support the other?!?!

Well good sir, the answer is quite simple. Your CPU is like the fat bitch in the group who keeps cockblocking the big diesel 980.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Well good sir, the answer is quite simple. Your CPU is like the fat bitch in the group who keeps cockblocking the big diesel 980.

but what makes it the fat bitch!!!!!

but what makes it the fat bitch!!!!!

the answer isnt that simple

this apu is ment to work on its own without a graphics card in most cases and tha CPU part of it is shit

it is a low end cpu 

the clock speeds are slow and the architecture isnt ment to work with powerful GPUs to reduce the price of this low budget oriented peace of hardware

the answer of your question is:

clock speeds

phisical size of CPU

architecture

you cant use a BMW in monster truck race