Is AMD Supertiling Or Scissor Frame Rendering (SFR) still a thing?

Go to solution Solved by QueenDemetria,

Basicly is AMD Supertiling or scissor frame rendering still a thing? or is it long dead and burried till DX12?

I'm pretty sure ATI abandoned it, last time I heard of SFR is with the X1900 series. It caused problems like screen tearing due to the varying FPS of each GPU(since the top GPU does less work than the bottom GPU).

#neverforget

bc-big.jpg

Basicly is AMD Supertiling or scissor frame rendering still a thing? or is it long dead and burried till DX12?

I'm pretty sure ATI abandoned it, last time I heard of SFR is with the X1900 series. It caused problems like screen tearing due to the varying FPS of each GPU(since the top GPU does less work than the bottom GPU).

#neverforget

bc-big.jpg

OLD SKOOL AS FUCK..

Respect earnt!

My SuperSex PC! (buyng stage)  i5 6600K/ CM Hyper 212 EVO/ 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 generic/ ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming/ Samsung EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/ Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7.2k RPM/ Gainward GTX 980 Ti Phoenix Golden Sample 6GB/ Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX/ Silverstone Strider 1KW ST-1000P/ DELL U2715h 1440p/ LOG G110/ LOG G302

It's called Split-Frame Rendering, and DX12 can support it, but it remains to be seen whether devs will take advantage of it. Apparently XDMA can transfer enough data across the PCI/e interface (or maybe it's called the PCB... my brain is slower today I don't feel well xD) for SFR to work, but with SLI bridges and crossfire bridges you can't transfer enough data.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

It's called Split-Frame Rendering, and DX12 can support it, but it remains to be seen whether devs will take advantage of it. Apparently XDMA can transfer enough data across the PCI/e interface (or maybe it's called the PCB... my brain is slower today I don't feel well xD) for SFR to work, but with SLI bridges and crossfire bridges you can't transfer enough data.

Sorry, but wrong.

Split frame rendering is Nvidia thing Scissors thingy is AMD http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Graphics/Crossfire2.shtml

Scissor Frame Rendering (SFR)

Scissor frame rendering or SFR is very similar to the original method of SLI and Nvidia's Split Frame Rendering. SFR is the basic cut the screen in half and send half to the one graphics card and half to the other. There are some differences however between the original voodoo 2 SLI, Nvidia's Split Frame Rendering and ATI's Scissor Frame Rendering.

Also super tiling is AMD and nvidia even does not have anything similar.

And yes DX12 is based on Split frame rendering (nvidia one) also its confusing because both of their "ahort versions" are SFR

I've only ever heard of split frame rendering, and it was used in a few mantle games I believe.

Sorry, but wrong.

Split frame rendering is Nvidia thing Scissors thingy is AMD http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Graphics/Crossfire2.shtml

Scissor Frame Rendering (SFR)

Scissor frame rendering or SFR is very similar to the original method of SLI and Nvidia's Split Frame Rendering. SFR is the basic cut the screen in half and send half to the one graphics card and half to the other. There are some differences however between the original voodoo 2 SLI, Nvidia's Split Frame Rendering and ATI's Scissor Frame Rendering.

Also super tiling is AMD and nvidia even does not have anything similar.

And yes DX12 is based on Split frame rendering (nvidia one) also its confusing because both of their "ahort versions" are SFR

I love when someone shows me knowledge I don't know <3 <3 <3

But the point still stands: AMD is the only card maker that has cards that can potentially support SFR with DX12, due to how the memory data needs to be transferred.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I've only ever heard of split frame rendering, and it was used in a few mantle games I believe.

Actually it propably was never used (not sure) but that there was Support for possibility of it, because of mantle, also you have never heard of it because split frame rendering was more popular and scissors frame rendering sounds retarded :)

Actually it propably was never used (not sure) but that there was Support for possibility of it, because of mantle, also you have never heard of it because split frame rendering was more popular and scissors frame rendering sounds retarded :)

They use split frame rendering here :

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/192906-investigating-amd-mantles-superb-multi-gpu-scaling-in-civilization-beyond-earth

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8643/civilization-beyond-earth-crossfire-with-mantle-sfr-not-actually-broken

http://techreport.com/blog/27258/civ-beyond-earth-with-mantle-aims-to-end-multi-gpu-microstuttering

Your info seems a bit dated as it's from 2005.