Second pass at a no-budget build

russemerson
After digesting the replies I received on my first proposed system, I've re-thought and recalibrated, and here's what I've come up with so far, with commentary.  (Note: cooling will come later, this is just the nuts-and-bolts, so to speak.)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Micro Center) 

5930K was deemed to be not useful.  

Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 

It's actually less expensive than the 2133, so I've already pulled the trigger on it.

Storage: Samsung SM951 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($196.99 @ Mac Mall) 

Boot drive, key applications.

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($169.99 @ Micro Center) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($169.99 @ Micro Center) 

Raid 10, Frequently accessed data and less important applications.

5 drives in s/w RAID, one spare.  Bulk storage for myself and my family.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($678.95 @ B&H) 

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($678.95 @ B&H) 

Because e-peen.  Will initially be driving the triple 1920x1080 screens I have now, but upgrades to 1440p are planned.

Total: $3959.15

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-18 00:01 EDT-0400

All of the above will be going into a CaseLabs SMA8, which I have already acquired... and man, is it gorgeous.  It's powder-coated white, but the exterior is going to be painted olive drab.  I'll never need to buy another case ever again.  Until I build a NAS, that is.

So, whattya think?  Tweaks?  Suggestions?

When you flirt with Death, you run the risk that Death has something more serious in mind.

CCIE #4206

Wait if you have no budget, why not a 5960X? Why not 3 Titan X cards? Why not a 750 series Intel SSD? Why not etc?

Let me take a crack at this. Gimme a minute or two.

Steam_Sale.gif  I would get a 750 pci ssd. Maybe high cap drives? 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

maybe a badass SLI bridge? and also an aftermarket cooler or a custom loop.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Wait if you have no budget, why not a 5960X? Why not 3 Titan X cards? Why not a 750 series Intel SSD? Why not etc?

Just because I have no budget doesn't mean I'm going to throw dollars away;  I just don't think those things are even close to necessary for me.

Realistically, the GPUs are probably more than I need, but hey, if I'm going to live a little bit "on the edge" that seems to me to be the place for it.

When you flirt with Death, you run the risk that Death has something more serious in mind.

CCIE #4206

can I pay you to get to put it together?

Your joking. If not i could build it for you

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

Just because I have no budget doesn't mean I'm going to throw dollars away;  I just don't think those things are even close to necessary for me.

Realistically, the GPUs are probably more than I need, but hey, if I'm going to live a little bit "on the edge" that seems to me to be the place for it.

Well then, I guess you won't be needing this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($1009.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-E WS SSI CEB LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($476.02 @ Mwave) 
Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB PCI-E Solid State Drive  ($900.00 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($999.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card (3-Way SLI)  ($999.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair 900D ATX Full Tower Case  ($339.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $7451.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-18 00:23 EDT-0400

I was gonna put in a Xeon E5-2699 v3 but that's 4 grand, so...

That case isn't the only thing "Magnum" right now

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

I was asking if I could build OP's rig for them.

Opps misread

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

can I pay you to get to put it together?

if you have the money to make him build it.. why not build it yourself. NOW

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

if you have the money to make him build it.. why not build it yourself. NOW

I never said that I would pay the full price of the machine. maybe like 7$ because that is literally all I have. I do have a spare 64GB 3930k rig to sell though.

Why no Skylake?

i7-6700k?

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

I never said that I would pay the full price of the machine. maybe like 7$ because that is literally all I have. I do have a spare 64GB 3930k rig to sell though.

I don't even have a spare rig, let alone one that's that caliber.

I was asking if I could build OP's rig for them.

I'm a hobbyist by nature, so building the system is going to be a labor of... well, extreme like, if not actual love.

I've already begun prepping the case for paint.  And I do expect to post a build log at some point.

CCIE #4206

I don't even have a spare rig, let alone one that's that caliber.

lol. I had the opportunity to buy two PCs with an asrock extreme9, 3930k, two SSDs, a gtx570, 1,000w derp PSU, corsair case, and of course 64GB ram. I paid only 600 bucks to snag BOTH machines. I used it as an opportunity to make money as well as upgrade xD but one of the ram sets has gone cactus, but it seems that they will RMA it for me even though I have no proof of purchase :D

I'm a hobbyist by nature, so building the system is going to be a labor of... well, extreme like, if not actual love.

I've already begun prepping the case for paint.  And I do expect to post a build log at some point.

Black spraypaint does WONDERS to the insides of stainless cases. my cosmos case looks BEAUTIFUL. The cables? Oh shut up. I havent had time lol

You Gotta go skylake

Skylake or go home

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

I'd get an 400GB Intel 750 PCI-E SSD as boot instead, then a 1 TB 850 Pro for the rest. As for the bulk storage I'd really recommend just doing a FreeNas build at that point, you don't need to Raid on the board/a Raid card as ZFS is just software.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Black spraypaint does WONDERS to the insides of stainless cases. my cosmos case looks BEAUTIFUL. The cables? Oh shut up. I havent had time lol

Cables?  Did someone mention cables?

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of thinking about this build.

CCIE #4206