Solus Project [short review]

gluconolactone

Solus Project

This review will be short and from the prespective of someone who hasn't tried that many linux distributions, and is not that deep into the ecosystem. Therefore, I am not familiar with many of the technicalities and as such I will only provide thoughts as to how this distro could serve an average user.

Installation

The installation process did not go as smoothly as I would have expected it to. Coming from the seamless Ubuntu install experience this seemed a little bit more “rugged” per se. Firstly when I arrived at the partitioning screen and the installer redirected me to Gparted, it wouldn't automatically refresh to show me the partitions that I have just formatted, and I would have to exit the installer and restart it. The installer also crashed a couple of times, but in the end all went smoothly – sort of.

In UEFI mode, I would be taken directly to Windows rather than a boot menu, and Solus only showed up when I booted using Legacy BIOS.

Looks

Sure, it's a linux distro, if you don't like how it looks, you can always change it. But in my opinion, Solus looked great out of the box, I only had to change a few settings such as the default icon pack and wallpaper, mind you without installing anything 3rd party, as some choices of themes and icon packs do come pre-installed.

OsubXZ.png

There was a sense of uniformity to the OS, as all the applications followed a specific design language, which I felt was a problem plaguing other linux distros.

Applications

While Solus already has support for the essential apps such as Firefox and LibreOffice (in fact I wrote this on LibreOffice Writer), it lacks support for apps such as Steam, which is very important for many users. This is because Solus is supposedly built from scratch and as such it does not support the same apps that for example Ubuntu and its derivatives support.

yQ3jcg.png

Performance

For the short amount of time I used Solus, it felt snappy. While there were some hickups and slow downs here and there, it was nothing major and didn't severely affect workflow. Being a beta build there is also a lot of room for improvement.

LcLrad.png

Final Thoughts

Solus is a well-polished distribution that performs well and looks good (subjectively) while doing it, despite its beta status. The developers have scheduled a release date of the final version on the 1st of October of this year. I would presume it is targeted at average users who would simply like to perform all tasks in the simple GUI without having to get their hands dirty in the terminal.

“The OS will keep out of your way, but do its job when it’s supposed to. How a desktop OS should be, and not having to worry about all the implementation details (sudo whatnow?)”

- Project Founder.

NOTE: I will update this thread if I find anything else that is noteworthy.

It looks good, i downloaded it to try in a VM

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

snip

Remember to follow ur topics :)

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

It looks good, i downloaded it to try in a VM

Let me know how that goes for you.

Update: Like I said it is a beta and it shows in some places. For example, I am currently unable to connect a printer to the laptop I have this distro installed on, this is the error message:

S3uYOM.png

This actually reminded me I needed to throw this in a VM and test it out. It seems to run alright; however it seems extremely buggy: having to click drop downs multiple times or even click back and re-enter info again sometimes. I do like the look of it though.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

This actually reminded me I needed to throw this in a VM and test it out. It seems to run alright; however it seems extremely buggy: having to click drop downs multiple times or even click back and re-enter info again sometimes. I do like the look of it though.

It is kind of buggy. I would really wait till October  1st for the final release before using it day to day as a main OS.