AMD Possibly Abandoning FX Processors

Missioncode

This is trash journalism, but sadly it's not an entirely ridiculous idea. It could happen that AMD does focus almost entirely on the APU's at some point, but I don't think it will be for a while yet and I don't think they are doing bad enough in the performance market to give it up entirely. 

if only amd would make optron mainstream(in cost), now they d be able to sell dual socket mobos, with 2 hexacore(?idk where they re at server side) cpu in one go...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

if only amd would make optron mainstream(in cost), now they d be able to sell dual socket mobos, with 2 hexacore(?idk where they re at server side) cpu in one go...

true  :wub: i want my "dual" Opteron 12 cores motherboard :D (for having 24 cores total)

amd was failing anyway big time beside the consoles deal
i say they ditch the gpu or cpu dept. they need to focus on 1 thing like nvidia and intel
i know intel have ssd and such and nvidia have tegra nad shield but really amd needs to decide or its gonna end up like RIM

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

has ane ayone already commented that the end of  dedicated CPU doesnt mean the end of high end chips? A 4770k is an APU rather intel wants to call it that or not, just because AMD may no longer make a chip that doesn't have a graphics core on it doesn't mean we aren't going to see enthusiast class chips anymore.

has ane ayone already commented that the end of  dedicated CPU doesnt mean the end of high end chips? A 4770k is an APU rather intel wants to call it that or not, just because AMD may no longer make a chip that doesn't have a graphics core on it doesn't mean we aren't going to see enthusiast class chips anymore.

^+1

We're probably going to see enthusiast class chips with powerful gpus, APUs with 7870 equivalent graphics? O_o

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

^+1

We're probably going to see enthusiast class chips with powerful gpus, APUs with 7870 equivalent graphics? O_o

In that case will everyone have to run a massive cooler? all I can think of is massive heatsinks and overly complex cooling solutions, a reason for having a separate card is that most GPUs have a thermal limit which makes a CPU cringe.

Makes me wonder what would happen if you Frankensteined a 7990 to an 8350 :P one part of me says hell yes, the other side  says that chip would be about 2 inch x 2 inch in size and probably need a cooler the size of an air conditioning unit to get the proper dissipation.

In that case will everyone have to run a massive cooler? all I can think of is massive heatsinks and overly complex cooling solutions, a reason for having a separate card is that most GPUs have a thermal limit which makes a CPU cringe.

Makes me wonder what would happen if you Frankensteined a 7990 to an 8350 :P one part of me says hell yes, the other side  says that chip would be about 2 inch x 2 inch in size and probably need a cooler the size of an air conditioning unit to get the proper dissipation.

XD watercooling would be standard

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Phenom III incoming.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

No, AMD will continue with CPU's, but it could be other way around. APU's with GPU parts disabled (due to the damage, or well, you know). That will give them more flexibility maybe. Also, they might move to another socket, but they also could keep AM3+ socket a bit longer (have on mind that is a socket/platform from early 2009.).

No matter how it goes in future, i bet they will not give up on high end market.

They are hopefully going to continue their more cores scheme, and release some consumer level 12 and 16 core chips at an affordable cost. 

The APU chip still doesn't excite me as a consumer...be it intel or AMD. Integrated video has never ever had the performance I wanted. Even on a small form factor level.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Its nice that AMD are doing this but it would be nice to have a powerful chip that doesn't consume a lot of power. Like intel's chips.

Mainly why I am changing to an Intel i7 next time I upgrade. This 8150 chugs too much juice and its costing me and arm and a leg!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

there FX series cpu's are usually tests for something

Character artist in the Games industry.

i think AMD will abandon FX processors. And come out with a 8350 (or successor) with GPU on it...and integrate that into their APU lineup

AMD has already pushed pretty hard for their CPUs... but with Intel so far ahead (in market share), I wouldn't have a heart attack if they ditched the high end CPU market. VERY VERY VERY unlikely though.

Hope that this doesn't happen because their performance in their cpus have a great price to performance ratio and it is a great if you are on a tight budget and want a good cpu.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

i'm smelling a 12 core phenom being refined and they need to kill some old lineups to make it happen 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

I say this is just a rumor. For all we know is it could be for hype or complete garbage. I think the CPU's are going to continue, but under a new name. In a different article about the APU line (http://www.techpowerup.com/188684/amd-confirms-kaveri-will-be-available-in-2014.html), they state that the new cores will have the Steamroller micro-architecture. This could help lead into the new high performance chips coming out. AMD still has a plan for micro-architecture that are coming in a few years. I don't think the high performance chips are leaving, but I do think AMD needs to look back and see what made them great in the past and get back to that page.