weird trace on the PCI bracket of my GPU

xt_hydra

hi.. i recently had some problem with my ancient motherboard configuration

(wich i think i booted too much because after a while it refused to complete the boot process(but now its fine))

and so i took out my GPU to take a quick look at the bracket to see some colors difference.. like somekind of burnt traces

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...hoto0031j.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...oto0032et.jpg/

if someone is wondering if i had some power outage.. it happened 2-3 this year..i didnt really care much.. so.. lol

*/EDIT*/

oh and i use HDMI... cuz i have a TV

*/EDIT*/

do someone know what might have caused that?

*/EDIT//2*/

guys i think i might have a serious problem.. i switched from an MSI 990 FXA-GD80 to a 970A-GD45

and i noticed a serious lag issue when i killed diablo at inferno (diablo 3)

then i opened "open hardware monitor"

to see the worst glitch of my life!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/uuuhok.jpg/

i think my FSB almost exploded or something because of an electrical discharge

but as we can see only my CPU got the discharge to 70 celcius

it lasted 3 second

/*EDIT//2*/

that looks brutal. I would loved to have seen if the bracket was glowing red ;P :D

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

that looks brutal. I would loved to have seen if the bracket was glowing red ;P :D

are you kidding?

because i'm not even sure if thats a reaction overtime

i'm seriously wondering what happened.. i mean.. my XFX 6870 is still working just fine

are you kidding?

because i'm not even sure if thats a reaction overtime

i'm seriously wondering what happened.. i mean.. my XFX 6870 is still working just fine

Yes, I was kidding.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

dude that card looks like you spilled some motor oil over it, or someone touched it with oily hands, because oils leave this kind of residue on stuff, it looks like rainbow.

try taking your card out and clean it with a dry cloth, try smelling it and see...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

I think it is a problem with your power supply, somehow it is delivering "Dirty power" to your rig. Try borrowing a power supply and try it out with yoir rig. If the problem still persist, try using a UPS.

Those are heat stains, typically caused by.. well, heat. Usually it needs to get pretty hot in order to look like that (have a look at motorbike exhausts) but that hasn't happened, otherwise your monitor cables would've molten as well.

Also I don't understand your original post.. What glitch are you talking about? And what lasted 3 seconds?

Ladies and gentleman we have a new world record........ It is a staggering 16.15 ghz overclock........!!! Jk. Something is seriously wtong?

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Run a burn test like fur-mark or do a constant loop of unigine heaven and monitor the gpu temps. If you have an infared thermometer just check the key points in your system to see how the temps match to the software values. Also, get a multimeter and check the voltage going to all the points in your system under load because if you have "dirty power" getting thrown around by the PSU you'll see varying voltages by at least 10% from the norm. My money is that there have been short circuits in your system from the outages and the GPU has been damaged. As for the "burn marks" on the bracket, I would suspect a short-circuit.

Cas's spec's(800D):
3570k @ 4.7GHz
H100 Push/Pull SP120's
GTX 680 @ 1345MHZ w/ DWOOD Brack & Antec 620
16GB 1866MHz Dominator Platinum
ASRock z77 Extreme 6
128GB Vertex 4
2 x 1TB WD Caviar Blue
B/W sleeved Corsair HX1000

Did you happen to touch your thermal grease and then touch the GPU? Because that's an oil stain.

If heat cause that something would have melted in the vicinity.

What PSU are you using?

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

There's no way that's an oil stain. Oil only gives a rainbow effect when combined with water (washing away motor oil with a hose) and thermal grease isn't even an oily substance.

Usually heat stains like that form when something is subjected to a large amount of heat (motorcycle exhausts) however they can also form when subjected to relatively small amounts of heat for long periods of time (like when gaming in this case)

So why specifically this graphics card might you ask? Well, if the stainless steel used by this card has low-chromium content and rough surface finish then it's more prone to discoloration, so that's probably what has happened.

My money is that there have been short circuits in your system from the outages and the GPU has been damaged.

That's complete nonsense though, why would there be short circuits due to power outages?

Well' date=' if the stainless steel used by this card has low-chromium content and rough surface finish then it's more prone to discoloration, so that's probably what has happened.[/quote']

if i compare the bracket from 6000 series to 7000

the 7000 is black.. so it might be a know problem with some cables... maybe but.. my

6870 doesnt have a rough texture.. its just look slithly less shiny.. so is that what you meant by low-chromium?

ill try to put oil on my wireless bracket.. it look slightly more shiny

well anyway i updated my BIOS(6 months old).. it might have been a bug between the OS and the BIOS

PSU :: XION 1000 watt

1000P14F

2X12 VOLT (20 AMP) && 4X12 VOLT (30 AMP) = 900 watt

UPS? well that would be useful.. i live in an appartement with quite some computers

i remember running the stock BIOS version of my board without support for NB-PCI frequency and it was overheating my GPU in diablo 3