The Battle - Mac vs. PC - A Challenge

I just loled, if you like mac so much create a hackntoch and diss the stupid so called "extras" I prefer my laptops to have a little weight or else I drop them since I am a baka, I don't like the look or the physical feel of mac laptops so I don't care for them, I'm not particularly fond of the OS either though so to me it's a waste of cash, to someone not really tech savvy or using it for basic entertainment may spend their money on a mac I don't care, to me it's just a personal preference. I like linux (backtrack / ubuntu) for the power and windows for being the default config I'm used to (haven't gotten into windows 8 yet since modding it like a damn maniac is something I'm too lazy to do and the default layout plain simply ticks me off) 

And as I said in previous posts I'm a cheapskate, I buy the most powerful machines for the lowliest cost possible and don't care much for fancy features.

also the fact that people say that macs are virus free makes me LOL every single time.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

I can list off things that I prefer about the other one as well.... I was just saying internal components and price wise... I would go with the XMG.

...I prefer the GMG because of the matt finish plastic so scratches and scuffs won't look as bad

...I really don't like the macbook air mousepad...

...I like my laptops to be hearty, like seriously, I almost dropped my mates air SO LIGHT D: I was like ahhhh noooo... and saved it XD

...Also I like those types of keyboards, the low profile keys mac has, I really don't enjoy...

It's all opinion mate, anyone can make anything sound bad or good, like we, just did. Raw performance, the XMG is better price to performance wise.

Well, that's alright. I never said, that Apple offer laptops everybody, but rather I said, that they only offer very few models.

- I have had several Macbooks in the last 7(?) years and never had any problems with scratches. The aluminium is actually quite resistant.

- Even the smallest Macbook Air (the 11" model) has a full-sized keyboard though (expect the F-Keys).

The challenge though was not, to find a laptop you like better, but rather one that is comparable to those listed macs in features, performance, quality, etc. and cheaper ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I just loled, if you like mac so much create a hackntoch and diss the stupid so called "extras" I prefer my laptops to have a little weight or else I drop them since I am a baka,

I have a hackmac (see signature) basically  only build for Adobe Lightroom (and very little gaming) ;)

Also if you carry a laptop around all they with you, I can tell you, that a few 100gramm less can make a huge difference.

Well, that's alright. I never said, that Apple offer laptops everybody, but rather I said, that they only offer very few models.

- I have had several Macbooks in the last 7(?) years and never had any problems with scratches. The aluminium is actually quite resistant.

- Even the smallest Macbook Air (the 11" model) has a full-sized keyboard though (expect the F-Keys).

The challenge though was not, to find a laptop you like better, but rather one that is comparable to those listed macs in features, performance, quality, etc. and cheaper ;)

Ok, I only out did it in Cheaper and performance, sorry XD

How about this one?!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Touchscreen-Ultrabook-Graphite/dp/B00CA10JSK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1375735321&sr=8-3&keywords=lenovo+U410

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I just burned a legal windows 8.1 preview iso to my cd and i got a free code from microsoft site. What did i pay? 0!!!! What would you pay for mac os? 30 DOLLARS! FOR THAT YOU CAN BUY RAM FOR YOUR BUILD OR A NICE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD , NOW TELL ME WHY?!!!!

I just burned a legal windows 8.1 preview iso to my cd and i got a free code from microsoft site. What did i pay? 0!!!! What would you pay for mac os? 30 DOLLARS! FOR THAT YOU CAN BUY RAM FOR YOUR BUILD OR A NICE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD , NOW TELL ME WHY?!!!!

You can just use the Code for the preview, you still need to buy Windows 8.1 when it ends.(Unless you already own Windows 8)

Seems like a good deal, though I don't know to much about the IdeaPad-Line

As for a comparison to the Macbook Air the Idepad ...

... weighs 500g more

... is quite a bit larger

... has a worse screen

... is worse built quality wise

Again, if you don't care for those points, than please ignore them and don't buy a mac.

I'm too lazy to spec it out but a $1500 desktop can probably shatter that iMac.  Part of it is Apple, part of it is that all-in-ones in general are overpriced.

Prices are more competitive on the notebook side, for sure.  The aluminum construction could very well justify the extra cost.

IMO the 2880x1800 screen is only really useful when you actually get more real estate for your application.  I don't care if it's sharper, if everything is the same size then there's no real benefit.

All in all, I don't think Macbooks are bad.  I just see no real advantage over Windows-based notebooks.  I used OS X for a while to get a feel for it, and I don't find it any more functional or easy to use than Windows.  And I can't justify spending extra on the hardware just for an aluminum body (I don't like the finish anyway; I much prefer a brushed finish like you see on the Zenbooks) and a good touchpad (I use a mouse regardless of touchpad quality).  Yes, you can install Windows on a Mac, but that requires Bootcamp, and do I really trust Apple to provide quality drivers to run a competitor's operating system on its hardware?  No.

And if I want that UNIX feel, I'll just go download Linux Mint.

I do like that the Macbooks have absolutely redonkulous battery life.  But again, if you were to install Windows, all those optimizations go down the drain, and you just get a hunk of aluminum that runs really hot.  I never really find myself needing to use my laptop for a long time away from an outlet anyway.

Anyway, there's my rambling.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I've had problems with scratches, although the only ones that were's caused by stupidity are pretty light.

Seems like a good deal, though I don't know to much about the IdeaPad-Line

As for a comparison to the Macbook Air the Idepad ...

... weighs 500g more

... is quite a bit larger

... has a worse screen

... is worse built quality wise

Again, if you don't care for those points, than please ignore them and don't buy a mac.

haha cool :) honestly though, the build quality feels the same to me but yes, the other features you have stated I completely agree.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

You can get the Developer of Mavericks for free...

OS X comes free with every Mac. Updates are currently $19.00.

BTW.

I got multiple free legal licenses for

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012, ...

IMO you can't just pit Mac directly against 'PC', because you won't find a 'PC' with exactly the same features as a Mac.

I have a hackmac (see signature) basically  only build for Adobe Lightroom (and very little gaming) ;)

Also if you carry a laptop around all they with you, I can tell you, that a few 100gramm less can make a huge difference.

I just carry the laptop in my rucksack besides I prefer my 17" second hand HP core 2 duo with 4 GB ram 2x 500 GB hard drives I got for $ 140 over a mac any day, it's an old pavilion dv  7 with the 9600 GT gfx card, it's old but does what I need it for.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Well i have both Mac and PC, if you think on price/performance I would say PC wins without a question, but I like the mobolity of the MAC, I use the mac for university, but I also have a PC a home to do gaming and all, I like the MAC for mobility and light weight, I used to have a 17" HP and man that was heavy, and to carry around not worthed the money I pay, my MAC was almost the same price, and if i check the performance they were very similar, but when comes to weight it was very different.

I like both and each one has its pro and cons, and each person will have a different opinion on them

Everyday Rig: CPU: Intel i7 3930k (stock), Graphics Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080 Advance Edition, Ram: 32Gb 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance, Storage: 128Gb Samsung 830, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX Noctua F12 iPPC 2000RPM and Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM, Windows 10 Pro, Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 80Gold, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Keyboard: Corsair K65 Cherry Red,  Mouse: Razer Mamba TE

I've had problems with scratches, although the only ones that were's caused by stupidity are pretty light.

I just sold a 3 years old Macbook Pro a few months ago. When I cleaned and completely checked it before selling it, I didn't find a single scratch. And no, this wasn't a notebook sitting on a desk at home. I had it with me like almost every single day of it's lifespan.

I just sold a 3 years old Macbook Pro a few months ago. When I cleaned and completely checked it before selling it, I didn't find a single scratch. And no, this wasn't a notebook sitting on a desk at home. I had it with me like almost every single day of it's lifespan.

Lucky you then, I have one on the right of my trackpad, I don't even wear a watch or anything metal.

IMO you can't just pit Mac directly against 'PC', because you won't find a 'PC' with exactly the same features as a Mac.

I never said exactly the same. It also can be better ;)

I know for a fact, that it is pretty hard to find a laptop around 2kg with a quad core processor and dedicated graphics. I know that, because I was looking for one for a long time. Then I decided to ditch the idea of a powerful, yet portable laptop and build my mITX system and buy a small and portable laptop.

There is the Sony S15 and the Asus U500VZ/UX51. But both are noway near to the retina macbook (the sony much less, the asus a bit more)

The Asus ...

... has a significantly worse screen (sRGB coverage, contrast, black value, brightness)

... almost as good built quality

... lacks the ability (and these is a huge one) to connect a 1440p or 1600p screen.

... worse battery life

... some other minor things

... is not cheap either

It only uses Laptop graphics, the rest of the components are standard desktop hardware ;)

That was what I was referring to, but yes. The fact remains that laptop parts, particularly the GPUs and CPUs, are significantly more expensive and lower-performing than their desktop counterparts. This is a classic example of how you pay more for worse with Apple products.

I'm a bit confused as to what Windspeed was trying to get at with this, because (as he points out himself) he is comparing devices with Quadros and Firepros to devices with a Geforce. It's like comparing Apples to Oranges (no pun intended). Sure, it doesn't excuse the differential in some cases but the fact remains that Quadro parts are vastly more expensive than their Geforce counterparts, and are designed for completely different workloads... Why not compare the Macbook to something with Geforce graphics? Even comparing them to Alienwares would have been a closer match :huh:

With build quality, Macs are pretty good but I wouldn't buy one. I don't like their OS and I don't like how I can't open them up and add in additional storage by myself without voiding the warranty.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

I'm a bit confused as to what Windspeed was trying to get at with this, because (as he points out himself) he is comparing devices with Quadros and Firepros to devices with a Geforce. It's like comparing Apples to Oranges (no pun intended). Sure, it doesn't excuse the differential in some cases but the fact remains that Quadro parts are vastly more expensive than their Geforce counterparts, and are designed for completely different workloads... Why not compare the Macbook to something with Geforce graphics? Even comparing them to Alienwares would have been a closer match :huh:

I think I noted it on the post but on benchmarks all of those graphics solutions came out fairly evenly with the GeForce based card actually performing better in some cases. Also I was looking at those laptops based on CPU power and RAM as they were the two things I needed most; cores & RAM.

I think I noted it on the post but on benchmarks all of those graphics solutions came out fairly evenly with the GeForce based card actually performing better in some cases. Also I was looking at those laptops based on CPU power and RAM as they were the two things I needed most; cores & RAM.

Fair enough, I mean the CPUs are all the same and they're similar in every other respect, but the fact that the benchmarks were all similar is somewhat irrelevant. All that means is that they perform the same, the fact remains that the quadro parts are significantly more expensive. From a price:performance standpoint it would have been more helpful to compare models which also use Geforce. Maybe not for your personal use-case, but generally.

I guess it's a good demonstration that there are overpriced PCs too, but it certainly doesn't show that the Macbook isn't.

It really varies depending on which device but many times, yes, especially for the way I use my PCs.