Display Port or DVI-D

Jordan1417
Go to solution Solved by Jordan1417,

No. They can both handle 1080p 144Hz, so there's really no difference, unless you have built-in speakers in your monitor and you want audio. Then you would need DisplayPort.

Use either, it wont matter, the only difference will be the DVI wont carry sound if that is something you need then switch to DisplayPort. 

Edit: I'm too slow at typing  <_< :D

you don't need displayport for 1080p. No way. You can use D-Sub (VGA) for that if you really wanted to.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'll just stick with the DVI-D.

So I recently got a 144hz 1080P display. It came with a DVI-D cord but, I was wondering if I would benefit from DisplayPort.

So I recently got a 144hz 1080P display. It came with a DVI-D cord but, I was wondering if I would benefit from DisplayPort.

No. They can both handle 1080p 144Hz, so there's really no difference, unless you have built-in speakers in your monitor and you want audio. Then you would need DisplayPort.

Use either, it wont matter, the only difference will be the DVI wont carry sound if that is something you need then switch to DisplayPort. 

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

you don't need displayport for 1080p. No way. You can use D-Sub (VGA) for that if you really wanted to.

Thanks everyone for the help! I'll just stick with the DVI-D.

Well, there can potentially be quality issues with D-Sub. Since it's an analog connection, it's incredibly susceptible to local EMI. Many people get the "ghosting" or "shadow" images on their screens, where it looks like the screen is slightly out of phase. That's caused by EMI along the VGA cable.

Digital signals are less susceptible, not to mention that DP and DVI tend to be better shielded to begin with.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)