UKs first UHD TV Station Launched - BT Sports UHD £15 per month

Master Disaster

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2015/07/20/bt-sport-ultra-hd-unveiled-how-to-watch-the-premier-league-and-champions-league-live-in-4k

Just in time for the start of a new Premier League season, BT has launched its BT Sport Ultra HD channel, giving UK viewers their first taste of live 4K UHD TV action to date.

The new channel will rollout slowly, with the FA Community Shield matchup between Arsenal and Chelsea on 2 August set to be the first fixture shown in 4K UHD. A further two Premier League contests, including the season's opening game pitting a new-look Manchester United against Tottenham Hotspur on 8 August, will be shown that month, as will the Silverstone MotoGP.

After that, the Aviva Premiership rugby and FA Cup are scheduled to hit the new BT Sport UHD channel, as is the UEFA Champions League - a huge win for BT, as it only just secured the rights to Europe's most prestigious football competition. BT hasn't put a strict timeline on when 4K will out to these other competitions, only that it'll happen at some point this season.

So I guess owning a UHD TV is no longer pointless. Had to happen at some point.

Are there any UHD channels elsewhere in the world?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

How is the bandwith usage with such channels?

I think it's a online only channel tbh, you must have the BT TV box to receive it. Can't imagine it being easy to watch, my 50Mbps fibre line struggles with 4K YouTube.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I think it's a online only channel tbh, you must have the BT TV box to receive it. Can't imagine it being easy to watch, my 50Mbps fibre line struggles with 4K YouTube.

really? my 50 mpbs copper line have no problems with even 60fps 4k

Ain't your fiber that's the problem.

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

CPU bottleneck likely

Lol, 4770K, 16GB Ram & twin 970s. My system is not the issue.

I stream 4k on 39MB with no issues. You actually checked to ensure you're getting 50mb?

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I stream 4k on 39MB with no issues. You actually checked to ensure you're getting 50mb?

I get 41Mbps on Speedtest.net

If you've genuinely got issues streaming 4k and ISP is ok, I would think something aint right, maybe codecs or browser settings, obviously PC specs are fine

As for the original topic, I'm tempted but £45 installation + £15 a month for possibly 3 hours of content per week (2 premier league games a week?) is way too much money. May aswell just pay for the UHD Netflix, theres a lot more content there for £8.99

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Lol, 4770K, 16GB Ram & twin 970s. My system is not the issue.

How is 4K video playback if you let the video buffer first?

If you've genuinely got issues streaming 4k and ISP is ok, I would think something aint right, maybe codecs or browser settings, obviously PC specs are fine

As for the original topic, I'm tempted but £45 installation + £15 a month for possibly 3 hours of content per week (2 premier league games a week?) is way too much money. May aswell just pay for the UHD Netflix, theres a lot more content there for £8.99

Agreed, the only downside to using netflix uhd over uhd tv channel is that the tv version probably have better quality.

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

Agreed, the only downside to using netflix uhd over uhd tv channel is that the tv version probably have better quality.

I use the built in app on my Samsung TV, definitely the easiest way

Ryzen Ram Guide

Also it's worth noting that this channel doesn't run at 24 fps, but if fact runs at 50 fps.

Personally I think I will pass on this, waiting on sky to release their own uhd.

Also it's worth noting that this channel doesn't run at 24 fps, but if fact runs at 50 fps.

Personally I think I will pass on this, waiting on sky to release their own uhd.

50 fps for sports is highly desirable. That's full-speed standard in the PAL regions. Not sure how closely Europe sticks to the PAL standard anymore, but it used to be 50 Hz refresh rates because of the electrical grids being used, or something like that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Why did I see UHD and think UHF lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why did I see UHD and think UHF lol

UHF remote controls are pretty awesome... so.. that's something? :P

Seriously, I remember way back when we had Satellite TV when I was a kid (StarChoice, if anyone remembers them), they gave you one UHF remote, which basically worked anywhere in the house, and one IR remote, which was a piece of shit.

You could literally put the Satellite receiver in a different room, run a Cable Splitter from the output of the Satellite Box to two (or more) TV's, and get TV to multiple rooms without paying for a second box. You then just keep the UHF remote in the secondary room, and you can still change channels even with the TV box being on another floor.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

50 fps for sports is highly desirable. That's full-speed standard in the PAL regions. Not sure how closely Europe sticks to the PAL standard anymore, but it used to be 50 Hz refresh rates because of the electrical grids being used, or something like that.

In the UK pretty much all broadcasts (originating here) are still 25fps interlaced, so 50hz. The vast majority of TVs can support 60hz tho, I'm really not entirely sure why they've kept that standard tbh. Especially considering 1080i60 is widely used too,for all the American stuff on our networks.

I have the channel and it looks dank, the first game was in Wembley stadium with shit shadows though.

They say your line needs to support 44mbit in order to order the channel, that's because it's a live broadcast so you need overhead because there can't be any buffering, the actual stream is like 25-30mbit using HVEC, and your TV needs to support HDCP 2.2 so if you bought a 4K TV when they first came out your SOL.

I have 60mbit personally so I'm lucky in a way I've heard loads of complaints from people with 30-40mbits that can't order it.

Just waiting on g.fast 500mbits rollout starting from 2016.