Nikon Showdown! Price point veiws

MzCatieB

So I am looking at getting a new Camera, I was looking at getting a DSLR but the cost of Lenses put me off for now, so I was looking at getting a Bridge Camera between the standard point and shoot and a DSLR.

I have found 2 good looking camera's at a very strong price point but I'm looking for opinions on them before committing.

The choices are:

Nikon COOLPIX L810

Nikon COOLPIX L310

Character artist in the Games industry.

Looking at each side-by-side the L310 is what I'd go for - higher burst rate + buffer size so you can experiment with some sports/action photography, image stabilisation. Yeah, it has less megapixels and a shorter optical zoom factor, however on a 1/2.3 sensor the higher megapixels will lead to more muddy dark areas in, for example, landscape photography. At 25x magnification on a camera the size of the L810, holding the camera still while depressing the shutter will be impossible, so the images will be blury, thus such a zoom range will be unusable unless you invest in a tripod. If I was buying cameras in your range however, I would definetely be looking at the Pentax Q, and here's why.

Small formfactor, interchangeable lenses (so you can start experimenting/understanding lens varieties should you become more interested in photography), similar price range to the cameras you listed, hotshoe, as well as complete manual control. Check it out - http://www.pentaximaging.com/hybrid/Q_Black

Looking at each side-by-side the L310 is what I'd go for - higher burst rate + buffer size so you can experiment with some sports/action photography, image stabilisation. Yeah, it has less megapixels and a shorter optical zoom factor, however on a 1/2.3 sensor the higher megapixels will lead to more muddy dark areas in, for example, landscape photography. At 25x magnification on a camera the size of the L810, holding the camera still while depressing the shutter will be impossible, so the images will be blury, thus such a zoom range will be unusable unless you invest in a tripod. If I was buying cameras in your range however, I would definetely be looking at the Pentax Q, and here's why.

Small formfactor, interchangeable lenses (so you can start experimenting/understanding lens varieties should you become more interested in photography), similar price range to the cameras you listed, hotshoe, as well as complete manual control. Check it out - http://www.pentaximaging.com/hybrid/Q_Black

well the main difference between the L310 and the L810 is that the L810 is able to do 3D photography. and its more to do with the Macro capability, not the long/ wide shots

Character artist in the Games industry.

If 3D photography is what you're interested in then you'll have to get the L810, there's no two ways about it. If you're interested in macro photography you will need to invest in a tripod - It simply wont be possible to get a clear enough photo hand held at those magnifications and distance. The extra 4x zoom on the L810 will give you stronger bokeh in your close/macro shots, which can be really evocative and beautiful, however you will suffer from the lack of image stabilisation and slower shutter speed in bursts. You will probably find hand held shots above, say, 12x magnification on each camera will be soft and blurred, however it will be much more severe on the L810 beyond these magnifications, due to its lack of image stabilization.

Mirorless is probably an option. The lenses for the Nikon1 system aren't too expensive and the old J1 can be found quite cheaply this days (I think :P)

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile