4K on 1080p monitor - Nvidia "Dynamic Super Resolutions"

Giganizer300PRO

An Nvidia driver update came out a few days ago and when I went to play GTA V I noticed the FPS icon was super small, like half the usual size. After going to game setting I noticed I was actually running in 4K. Other game settings were changed as well. I saw some changes in the game as well, for example when you change the radio station and  it blurs everything else, well now there was almost no blur.

I closed the game and went in to Geforce Experience and saw that my optimal settings were changed. The resolution was set to 3840x2160, which is, apparently, now the new recommended resolution. I only have a 1080p monitor so it was under the Dynamic Super Resolution tab, together with 2715x1527. I changed to 1080p and applied optimal settings.

What is this, some sort of down-scaled 4K? (scaling and stuff just confuses me)

Should I use 1080p or the higher resolutions?

If you can run the higher resolutions. DO IT. It makes everything a much sharper. but if you need to give in on texture quality. dont do it. its not worth it then

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

yeah DSR is basically downscaled resolution, much like AMD's virtual resolution. although it'll look great on a 1080p monitor, it won't match a true 4k monitor 

If the game is running fine at the higher res, then use that. However, I dont think that a 970 should automatically set itself to upscale GTAV.

Use whichever settings look better to YOU. Its all personal preference when it comes to these things.

When in doubt, re-format.

for most games DSR is a solid thing to use. It can mess with the sizes of some icons tho, depending on how their scaling is programmed. In Smite DSR makes all the UI elements tiny.

Git Gud.

SNIP

Basically it renders the game in 4k, and shows it on your 1080p screen - it effects works as a really amazing form of anti aliasing!!

Works great in games where your PC clearly has excess performance, and you want the game to look better but you have already maxxed it out

It can also be used to add AA to old games, or just for funsies :D

It can mess up menus and stuff though as the game still thinks its a 4k display

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

An Nvidia driver update came out a few days ago and when I went to play GTA V I noticed the FPS icon was super small, like half the usual size. After going to game setting I noticed I was actually running in 4K. Other game settings were changed as well. I saw some changes in the game as well, for example when you change the radio station and  it blurs everything else, well now there was almost no blur.

I closed the game and went in to Geforce Experience and saw that my optimal settings were changed. The resolution was set to 3840x2160, which is, apparently, now the new recommended resolution. I only have a 1080p monitor so it was under the Dynamic Super Resolution tab, together with 2715x1527. I changed to 1080p and applied optimal settings.

Should I use 1080p or the higher resolutions?

If you want to play at 4k on 1080p resolution . Then this is the only option but I suggest that you play at 1080p because the real resolution taste is at the 4k monitor 

DSR is great, I use all the time to play games in 5K@144hz  and 8K@60hz if I don't run out of vram and I can get decent +30FPS.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

The GPU renders stuff at 4k and it gets scaled to 1080p. The end result is an image at 1080p that looks like it's under an AA filter. You can use it to replace an AA level or two if your card can handle it. It can also make textures look better too.

Git Gud.

I would use DSR ,but i get too much latency on my crappy 80€ 2007 1080p AOC monitor :(

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I would use DSR ,but i get too much latency on my crappy 80€ 2007 1080p AOC monitor :(

lej ga slovenc haha

I love dsr, but you can disable it in nvidia control panel if you want.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

dsr is great if you have the extra horsepower but I've found the difference between 1440p dsr and 4k dsr isn't that much.

I don't like it. It needs too much power and causes moire artifacts or it blurs the textures.