setting up raid 1 storage drive have this pop up help!

Ykno

setting up a raid 1 storage drive what do i need to press?

Untitled_zpshftqapkp.png

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Most of the time on modern systems GPT is the better option. MBR is useful in legacy systems. If you want a more correct answer than that you'll need to provide some specifications (of the system and the RAID volume you're creating).

Most of the time on modern systems GPT is the better option. MBR is useful in legacy systems. If you want a more correct answer than that you'll need to provide some specifications (of the system and the RAID volume you're creating).

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4690K

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait

PSU: XFX XTR 650W Gold

RAM: HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2)

Operating System: Windows 10

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB

Storage: WD Green 2TB

Storage: WD Green 2TB​

OS is installed on SSD

and want my storage and programs and stuff installed on the Raid HDD

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4690K

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait

PSU: XFX XTR 650W Gold

RAM: HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2)

Operating System: Windows 10

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB

Storage: WD Green 2TB

Storage: WD Green 2TB​

OS is installed on SSD

and want my storage and programs and stuff installed on the Raid HDD

Are the two Green drives in the RAID array?

If so, you might be asking for trouble. Most of the Green Drives do not like to be in RAID / should not be in RAID.

But your disk needs to be initialized in GPT (It's just better in GPT for larger disks)

Are the two Green drives in the RAID array?

If so, you might be asking for trouble. Most of the Green Drives do not like to be in RAID / should not be in RAID.

But your disk needs to be initialized in GPT (It's just better in GPT for larger disks)

Totally agree.

GPT is the correct choice, but running Greens in a RAID is typically a bad idea. If you do continue with this, what I would suggest is that before you trust any of your data on the array, at least put it under some form of stress to see how it copes. You could run, for example, CrystalDiskMark on the array with varying sizes and run numbers (e.g. 5 runs at 8GiB, 5 at 100MiB, repeat a number of times) and see how it copes. Raw performance numbers aren't the problem, but Green drives aren't designed to be used in RAID volumes, so they lack some features commonly found on drives intended to be used in RAID arrays.

Totally agree.

GPT is the correct choice, but running Greens in a RAID is typically a bad idea. If you do continue with this, what I would suggest is that before you trust any of your data on the array, at least put it under some form of stress to see how it copes. You could run, for example, CrystalDiskMark on the array with varying sizes and run numbers (e.g. 5 runs at 8GiB, 5 at 100MiB, repeat a number of times) and see how it copes. Raw performance numbers aren't the problem, but Green drives aren't designed to be used in RAID volumes, so they lack some features commonly found on drives intended to be used in RAID arrays.

ah okay well I'm not bothered about running a raid I just had 2 the same drive lay about

Totally agree.

how do I use that to test?

how do I use that to test?

After downloading, run it (if you're running Windows 10 32-bit run "DiskMark32.exe", if you're using 64-bit run "DiskMark64.exe"). Change the target drive (in the top right corner) to the drive letter of the array volume (e.g. "D:/ ..."). Then on the drop-down box on the left hand side (which I think is "3" by default), change that to "5". The next drop-down to the right change to "1GiB", then click the green "All" button on the top left to start the benchmark run.

Depending on the settings it'll normally take a few minutes to run (the larger the test size and the more runs the longer it'll last) and you can monitor the progress of a run (by looking at the title bar of the application, which will let you know what test is running or being prepared) and the performance numbers which will appear after each test.

After downloading, run it (if you're running Windows 10 32-bit run "DiskMark32.exe", if you're using 64-bit run "DiskMark64.exe"). Change the target drive (in the top right corner) to the drive letter of the array volume (e.g. "D:/ ..."). Then on the drop-down box on the left hand side (which I think is "3" by default), change that to "5". The next drop-down to the right change to "1GiB", then click the green "All" button on the top left to start the benchmark run.

Depending on the settings it'll normally take a few minutes to run (the larger the test size and the more runs the longer it'll last) and you can monitor the progress of a run (by looking at the title bar of the application, which will let you know what test is running or being prepared) and the performance numbers which will appear after each test.

here's what I got

Untitled_zpsilxebp8a.png

here's what I got

Untitled_zpsilxebp8a.png

Seems about right for a Green drive. I would say don't bother with the RAID and just keep them as two separate drives.

okay cool ill rip[ them out then and chuck them back in my nas which is set up for storage with no raid and put my 2th Seagate barracuda back in my pc

Seems about right for a Green drive. I would say don't bother with the RAID and just keep them as two separate drives.

what drive would you say is a good raid drive? no expensive either?

what drive would you say is a good raid drive? no expensive either?

The Western Digital Red Drives are a good choice. Or HGST NAS drives.

~snip~

Hey there Ykno,

As the guys pointed out, WD Green drives are not designed to run in RAID arrays as they might corrupt the data or even drop out of the array. I would also recommend using NAS/RAID-class drives because they have additional features such as TLER and can perform much safer and smoother in such environments with much lower chances of data corruption or drive dropouts. Like @scottyseng I would also suggest that you check out WD Red: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Ykno,

As the guys pointed out, WD Green drives are not designed to run in RAID arrays as they might corrupt the data or even drop out of the array. I would also recommend using NAS/RAID-class drives because they have additional features such as TLER and can perform much safer and smoother in such environments with much lower chances of data corruption or drive dropouts. Like @scottyseng I would also suggest that you check out WD Red: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

Captain_WD.

can u keep eye on this post mate as i have some drives in a nas at home that came with it when i brought it second hand want you to see if they would work (the wd greens came out of it as well so) ill give u details of what nas it is as well when i get home around 6 30 uk time 

can u keep eye on this post mate as i have some drives in a nas at home that came with it when i brought it second hand want you to see if they would work (the wd greens came out of it as well so) ill give u details of what nas it is as well when i get home around 6 30 uk time 

Sure thing :) 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/