How Much Video Memory Is Needed For Higher Resolutions? (Techreport)

Rekx

actually maxwell manages memory much better then even R9 fury 

wgw938.jpg

As you can see, the color compression in Nvidia's Maxwell chips looks to be quite a bit more effective than the compression in Fury X. The Fury X still has a tremendous amount of memory bandwidth, of course, but we're more concerned about capacity. Assuming these GPUs store compressed data in a packed format that saves capacity as well as bandwidth, it's possible the Maxwell GPUs could be getting more out of each megabyte by using stronger compression.

Well, it's still more then GCN 1.0, maxwell I believe has more L2 cache for it's SM's and just overall much better memory optimizations as you mentioned. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

318bff04ba3ae5cb5e1def957544e673.png lol

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Why aren't they comparing a 2gb 960 with a 4gb 960 and a 4gb 290x with a 8gb 290x and comparable cards.

All those charts really show is your fps goes down at higher resolutions.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Why aren't they comparing a 2gb 960 with a 4gb 960 and a 4gb 290x with a 8gb 290x and comparable cards.

All those charts really show is your fps goes down at higher resolutions.

There is no need in observing the same cards with different amount of VRAM, just observing not so different cards (290x and 390x are basically the same there is a little difference in frequency) with different amount of VRAM is enough. You can clearly see what's going on when looking into 4 GB R9 290x vs 8 GB R9 390x benchmarks. Fps degradation should be the same on different cards with no memory bandwith limitation, until one of them runs out of VRAM. You can see this in this picture. When 4 GB is not enough for R9 290x it's performance becomes worse then expected.  If not 4 GB limit it's graph should have been at 8-9 FPS point at 33 Mpixel resolutions.

168vcsi.jpg

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Maybe at best.  It's definitely not cut and dried.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers