John's G5 (now with vital voting)

Guest Johnny5g

hello before we begin, big thanks to @dadasmithywinkle for modding this, @FuzzyYellow for letting me copy his name, and last but not least @Kyuubixchidori for selling me this.
this is a build of bringing an older powermac G5 back to life with mordern day parts. i didn't mod this but a link of the modding will be down below. curently i don't have any parts but i really want you guys to recommend some parts for me. i recently got $750 for making a sell on a computer but i willing to go to $825. thanks for reading this and updates will come soon.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/292429-powermac-g5-modification-build-log/

post-241194-0-77679700-1439307800_thumb.

post-241194-0-34270400-1439307822_thumb.

post-241194-0-27409000-1439307836_thumb.

post-241194-0-77679700-1439307800_thumb.

post-241194-0-34270400-1439307822_thumb.

post-241194-0-27409000-1439307836_thumb.

i normally don't care for hackintoshs, but i think it shouldn't be deceptive. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

love g5 builds

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Hackintosh ftw

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I had a hackintosh for a year, but isn't worth the effort imo. It's great if you want to try OSX without having to buy a MAC, but the limited Hardware support and the fear that every update will break it, make it too inconvenient for me. I'm generally not a big fan of OSX on desktop machines. I love it on my MacBook, but it feels kinda wrong with a mouse.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

I had a hackintosh for a year, but isn't worth the effort imo. It's great if you want to try OSX without having to buy a MAC, but the limited Hardware support and the fear that every update will break it, make it too inconvenient for me. I'm generally not a big fan of OSX on desktop machines. I love it on my MacBook, but it feels kinda wrong with a mouse.

that's a pretty cute avatar.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

i do have a Mac and i love it. also i don't really care about the limited hardware suport.

the next update will come when i get a bigger c-clamp. also on a side note does anyone know a good scratch remover?

Why not both? I say you try to dual boot OSX and Windows 10, but that's just me.

Why not both? I say you try to dual boot OSX and Windows 10, but that's just me.

that is a good idea but for me the point of a hackintosh would be not to pay $100 and to use OS X on 2 computers.

Now with more voting :)

looks like normal pc is wining........

update 1.1:

the G5 has been under a c-clamp for close to 24 hours trying to get that bend fixed. in other news i am getting closer to getting the parts :)

That bend sucks :/ Wasnt there when I shipped it off.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Yeah. The c-clamp isn't going to work :(. But I found another way to do it :)

You'll have to pull it off and put a weight on it or something to over bend it back, and then stretch it onto the case. Then leave it, eventually it'll loosen back to it's proper shape

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You'll have to pull it off and put a weight on it or something to over bend it back, and then stretch it onto the case. Then leave it, eventually it'll loosen back to it's proper shape

well I am going to super glue and put a c-clamp on of a hour or too. What do you think?

well I am going to super glue and put a c-clamp on of a hour or too. What do you think?

I wouldn't super glue it. If you ever want to disassemble for painting, or modding again, or something else, you wouldn't be able to

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

I wouldn't super glue it. If you ever want to disassemble for painting, or modding again, or something else, you wouldn't be able to

ok thanks! But I won't want to :)

ok thanks! But I won't want to :)

You never know

DX just saw it. it wasn't there when I re-shipped it off, otherwise would of fixed it with my buddies machine shop/experience. Had UPS package it. so must of happened during second shipping. shame, hopefully Johnny fixes it up.

DX just saw it. it wasn't there when I re-shipped it off, otherwise would of fixed it with my buddies machine shop/experience. Had UPS package it. so must of happened during second shipping. shame, hopefully Johnny fixes it up.

thanks! i was thinking that it happened during shipping.

does anyone know a good scratch remover for this? also a good paint for this? thanks!

You never know

i am not good enough :(.

does anyone know a good scratch remover for this? also a good paint for this? thanks!

Should paint it black. Maybe a matte black, then a shiny black apple logo?