(HP a6317c) Not Turning On At All

Russell450

Alright, so my PC is showing no signs of life at all. So, first off, I ordered Arctic Silver 5 and a Corsair CX430M for this machine because we had a power outage and the PSU died (capacitor blown; able to be seen through fan vent) and we left it sit there for over a year and it was already a few years old, so I took off the heatsink and the thermal compound was all crusty.

Anyways, I applied the AS5 today and installed the CX430M, made sure the CX430M's switch was on "I" and pressed the power button. So, I opened the case back up, and made sure the power, reset, HDD, etc was plugged in properly and reseated it. Didn't work. Then, I took out the PSU and used a paperclip to test it. It passed the test; the PSU fan started spinning immediately.  

So, I tried it again, with just the 24-pin connector and 4-pin CPU connector, but with RAM installed. Still no. Then, I took out the RAM. Nope. Disconnected the front panel USB and headphone/mic...nope. I even tried splitting the last 4 pins from the 24 pin connector because the last PSU (OEM-Bestec) had only a 20-pin connector on a 24 pin board. Nope. 

So, I need help obviously and that's why I'm here.

Specs:

Asus IPIBL-LB (Benica) Mobo

2x 512 GB Samsung DDR3 RAM

2x 1 GB Hynix DDR3 RAM

Intel Pentium CPU (if you need specifics for that, tell me)

1 Seagate Barracuda HDD

1 Optical Drive

1 HP Media Bay Drive (I keep disconnected)

1 56K Modem (I don't have the cover, so can't keep it uninstalled without a hole... so I keep it installed)

I hope you can help... I would like to recover photos without having to buy a SATA to USB adapter (I only have laptops at the moment)

I swear so many people have that profile pic....

OT: It's possible that your motherboard could have gotten fried by the power surge of the old PSU blowing up.

"Rawr XD"

Alright, so my PC is showing no signs of life at all. So, first off, I ordered Arctic Silver 5 and a Corsair CX430M for this machine because we had a power outage and the PSU died (capacitor blown; able to be seen through fan vent) and we left it sit there for over a year and it was already a few years old, so I took off the heatsink and the thermal compound was all crusty.

Anyways, I applied the AS5 today and installed the CX430M, made sure the CX430M's switch was on "I" and pressed the power button. So, I opened the case back up, and made sure the power, reset, HDD, etc was plugged in properly and reseated it. Didn't work. Then, I took out the PSU and used a paperclip to test it. It passed the test; the PSU fan started spinning immediately.  

So, I tried it again, with just the 24-pin connector and 4-pin CPU connector, but with RAM installed. Still no. Then, I took out the RAM. Nope. Disconnected the front panel USB and headphone/mic...nope. I even tried splitting the last 4 pins from the 24 pin connector because the last PSU (OEM-Bestec) had only a 20-pin connector on a 24 pin board. Nope. 

So, I need help obviously and that's why I'm here.

Specs:

Asus IPIBL-LB (Benica) Mobo

2x 512 GB Samsung DDR3 RAM

2x 1 GB Hynix DDR3 RAM

Intel Pentium CPU (if you need specifics for that, tell me)

1 Seagate Barracuda HDD

1 Optical Drive

1 HP Media Bay Drive (I keep disconnected)

1 56K Modem (I don't have the cover, so can't keep it uninstalled without a hole... so I keep it installed)

I hope you can help... I would like to recover photos without having to buy a SATA to USB adapter (I only have laptops at the moment)

Your motherboard is donzo....

Your not going to miss it anyways.. strip it for parts, thats to say save the replacement PSU for a rainy day, and toss the case down a mountain. It's processing days are over.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

Although your PSU passed the test can you put it in another desktop to test it?

Of course, I have a family member with a functional desktop; I could try it with theirs.

Your motherboard is donzo....

Your not going to miss it anyways.. strip it for parts, thats to say save the replacement PSU for a rainy day, and toss the case down a mountain. It's processing days are over.

Yeah, I thought it would be the motherboard. I was thinking of replacing that. but since that motherboard still uses DDR3 RAM and a LGA778 Intel socket, I just thought of building an entire other PC. But how would I backup the hard drive? This HDD still has Vista (ew) and I want to upgrade it to Windows 7/8/8.1 (whichever is cheaper since they all upgrade to Win 10. 

I might just upgrade to a SSD and just move the files I want to the SSD, is there a better way? Thanks.

Yeah, I thought it would be the motherboard. I was thinking of replacing that. but since that motherboard still uses DDR3 RAM and a LGA778 Intel socket, I just thought of building an entire other PC. But how would I backup the hard drive? This HDD still has Vista (ew) and I want to upgrade it to Windows 7/8/8.1 (whichever is cheaper since they all upgrade to Win 10. 

I might just upgrade to a SSD and just move the files I want to the SSD, is there a better day? Thanks.

You can use a USB to SATA adapter that has one USB power port and back up in something like Macrium Reflect Free. http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1439098118&sr=1-1&keywords=sata+to+usb

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Of course, I have a family member with a functional desktop; I could try it with theirs.

I might just upgrade to a SSD and just move the files I want to the SSD, is there a better day? Thanks.

Vista isn't eligible for the upgrade. Your best bet is buying a key.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/