Is skylake worth it?

Is the new skylake i5 6600k worth the cost of ddr4 and the new mobos?

Or should I just go with the i5 4690k with cheaper ram and mobos.

Is it really that much performance increase?

Short answer: no.

This question has probably been asked fifty times in the last 24 hours...

HAF 912  •  i5-2500k  •  16GB DDR3  •  980Ti  •  2x 480GB Intel 730  •  3x Dell U2715H 

lol, my Sandy Bridge chip still does everything I need it to. If your current core PC parts are still fine, you're good I think. Now, if you're planning to build a new type of PC, maybe. A compact itx i7 Skylake build would be pretty badass.

Skylake on the i5 doesn't make too much sense IMO. If you are getting DDR4 and stuff, your workload usual should require an i7. Get Z97.

ddr4 is pointless either way imho.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

DDR4 is pointless, the improvement of 5% is almost nothing. Doesnt compesantes to upgrade, the only reason to buy a Skylake is if your CPU is bad for what you need, and you need a new CPU anyway, but not just buying a Skylake because of the new one .

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD