The Phantom - Full case window mod and sprayed meshes.

BikerMat

Backstory:

Originally my computer was built about a year ago by a relative as I didn't have the know how to do it myself, and so recently I decided I wanted to add to it in a few ways. I was only wanting to change the fans to Corsair SP120s, add an NZXT Hue for better lighting and a Corsair H100i, just to make it look a bit nicer.

But the window on the Phantom 410 was rather restricting and I really wanted to see my two 670's in their lit up glory - So I decided to also cut my own window into the panel and, once again for looks, spray paint

the case's meshes to match the power & reset LED's.

Parts list:

375 x 355mm Clear perspex sheet

2m U-Channel trim

Double sided foam tape

Blue spray paint

5x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition fans

Corsair H100i closed loop CPU cooler

NZXT Hue lighting system

8 Pin CPU power extension

Arcti-clean thermal compound remover

Anti static wristband

So far everything has been ordered and except for the anti-static wristband, arrived. So the window and sprayed meshes are done, but I'm going to hold off on starting the other stuff as I've not done it before. Here's the progress:

Front and top meshes out of the case.

post-21630-0-60063000-1375550708_thumb.j

Sprayed and back in their places.

post-21630-0-33333800-1375550720_thumb.j

Full view of the case, window wasn't started yet.

post-21630-0-51895700-1375550861_thumb.j

Cut the panel to fit the new window, I was originally going to cut a square but this fit better with the case.

post-21630-0-08244600-1375550742_thumb.j

The U-channel trim had to be superglued in because it kept popping out. And I used double sided foam tape to attach the window.

post-21630-0-30456400-1375550769_thumb.j

Window is in and on the case, it's a much tighter fit as some of the foam tape overlaps the perspex, but none of that is visible from the outside. GPU cables were unplugged as I couldn't be bothered moving them and it was only a test fit, they are now plugged back in and snug up against the perspex without being squished. Though it's not perfect and there are a few noticeable marks from leaked superglue and the trim not being the best fit, it's a better result than I thought I'd get.

post-21630-0-29695300-1375550778_thumb.j

post-21630-0-90776300-1375550787_thumb.j

For those of you wondering why there is a microwave in the last picture, we have an open plan downstairs, and due to lack of room in my bedroom, my desk is sandwiched between the end of the kitchen and the corner of our L-shaped sofa.

I'll update when the wristband arrives and I can start with the other components, estimated delivery for the 8th though :(.

Clean up those cables, sleeve your own and it will look fantastic. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

looks good man, but I agree with AraSarkisyan, do some cable management and it will look amazing

NZXT Tempest 210, 4770k @ 4.6ghz, Phanteks PH-TC14CS, 660ti DirectCUII @ 1180mhz, Asrock extreme 3, 8gb gskill sniper, ocz zt series 650w, wd blue 1tb, CM storm Quickfire w/ mx blues, Team scorpion X-Luca http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42301-the-mean-green-machine/?p=550606

Really like the overall case. Blue and white always look good in my opinion. Frost blue ;D

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

NZXT really should've offered that window option. Well done

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I was thinking about spraying my mesh for my 410, how did you take it off? just a little pressure?

I was thinking about spraying my mesh for my 410, how did you take it off? just a little pressure?

I know on the front mesh there is about 9 screws not sure on the top, but probably similar.

Presuming you have the top and front panels off - The top mesh + trim are just unscrewed and if you look at the first picture, those tiny legs are bent through gaps in the black trim. Same for the front except there are these annoying "Snap into place things" that also hold the mesh and trim on. I did accidentally break two of those snap into place things when removing the mesh and trim but because they're are also held on by screws, it doesn't matter too much if you break them.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

The wristband arrived today and I got everything put together.

Everything to go in the case, missed out the CPU power extension as this was taken after I started.

post-21630-0-64673500-1376760994.jpg

The fans, GPUs  and sound card where taken out to clean the case.

post-21630-0-48045700-1376760983.jpg

Not the best picture but this is the Soundblaster ZX without it's cover, taped over the LED's.

post-21630-0-55606100-1376761005.jpg

H100i and the fans are in, this is the cabling before I tidied it back up.

post-21630-0-61636100-1376761013.jpg

All done, somehow the tape came off the soundcard LED's but I'll fix that later and get some night time picture's to show the lighting a bit better.

post-21630-0-43849400-1376761030.jpgpost-21630-0-73430900-1376761040.jpg

Fixed my last post, images weren't showing / showing in the wrong places.

If I were you I would try to take out the red leds on the sound card.

It should be quite easy but I'm guessing he's worried in case he needs the warranty.

It should be quite easy but I'm guessing he's worried in case he needs the warranty.

well if he took off the cover I would imagine the warranty has already been voided.

well if he took off the cover I would imagine the warranty has already been voided.

Yeah, but that's much easier to do and undo (as in screw the cover back on) without causing anything they could notice..

Great looking build. Quick question though: Where did you purchase the rubber U-channel you used for the window?

Intel i5 3570K - ASRock Extreme4 - Corsair Vengeance 8Gb RAM - ASUS GTX 660 Ti - Samsung 840 250Gb SSD (OS-Games) - WD 750Gb HDD (Storage) - Corsair TX650W PSU - Corsair 300R