Switching from i5-3450 to i5-4690k

Hi guys, it's my first time posting something but i need an advice.

By watching all linus videos and other videos on the internet i started liking building, changing components and doing creative things on the pc.

Right now my setup is this :

CPU : I5-3450 3,1Ghz ( stock CPU Cooler)

GPU : Asus AMD Radeon r9 290 OC DirectCU 2

MOBO : MSI Z77a G43 Socket 1155

RAM : 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1600Mhz

Power Supply : XFX ProSeries 550W

Case : Corsair Carbide 300r

Since, except the GPU, the pc it's like 3 years old, built it when i knew nothing about pc, i wanted to change things and go with an i5-4690k a CPU liquid cooler and go overlocking.

I know that since my current CPU is a 1155 socket and the one i want buy is a 1150 I need to buy a new mobo.

And probably I should change the power supply too.

My question is, is it convinient to change my current CPU, mobo and power supply just to buy a new generation CPU and go overclocking? will there be enough benefits to justify the money spent?

Or should i just buy an old, maybe new if I find one,  i5-3570k instead?

Thanks and sorry fot the long post ( I don't have a potato  :D ).

Get a 3570K and a decent cooler and overclock

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

The upgrade wouldn't really be worthwhile. By the time you get a new cpu and mobo, that's close to $500 for not much more power. Is there a specific reason you are upgrading other than (the very acceplable) "because I can"?

When in doubt, re-format.

Hi guys, it's my first time posting something but i need an advice.

By watching all linus videos and other videos on the internet i started liking building, changing components and doing creative things on the pc.

Right now my setup is this :

CPU : I5-3450 3,1Ghz ( stock CPU Cooler)

GPU : Asus AMD Radeon r9 290 OC DirectCU 2

MOBO : MSI Z77a G43 Socket 1155

RAM : 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1600Mhz

Power Supply : XFX ProSeries 550W

Case : Corsair Carbide 300r

Since, except the GPU, the pc it's like 3 years old, built it when i knew nothing about pc, i wanted to change things and go with an i5-4690k a CPU liquid cooler and go overlocking.

I know that since my current CPU is a 1155 socket and the one i want buy is a 1150 I need to buy a new mobo.

And probably I should change the power supply too.

My question is, is it convinient to change my current CPU, mobo and power supply just to buy a new generation CPU and go overclocking? will there be enough benefits to justify the money spent?

Or should i just buy an old, maybe new if I find one,  i5-3570k instead?

Thanks and sorry fot the long post ( I don't have a potato  :D ).

IMO it's always good to upgrade platforms when you upgrade. I don't see why upgrede the PSU, it's more than enough. The odd thing is skylake was just released, so, maybe wait a bit for prices to stabilize and go full on skylake might be the better choice. Since your PSU is fine you can put that money on DDR4 memory, a mobo, a 6600K and an AIO,  altho your case doesn't support dual rads and i don't really recomend single rad AIOs, the performance it's just not there. Maybe a big heatsink, like the CRYORIG R1 Ultimate, performs as good as 240mm rad AIOs and fits in your case

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Not worth it. There will be a very small preformance improvement at a large cost increase. Gaming performance will not increase

The upgrade wouldn't really be worthwhile. By the time you get a new cpu and mobo, that's close to $500 for not much more power. Is there a specific reason you are upgrading other than (the very acceplable) "because I can"?

Mhhh not really, just wanted to give my pc some fresh components and try overclocking.

IMO it's always good to upgrade platforms when you upgrade. I don't see why upgrede the PSU, it's more than enough. The odd thing is skylake was just released, so, maybe wait a bit for prices to stabilize and go full on skylake might be the better choice. Since your PSU is fine you can put that money on DDR4 memory, a mobo, a 6600K and an AIO,  altho your case doesn't support dual rads and i don't really recomend single rad AIOs, the performance it's just not there. Maybe a big heatsink, like the CRYORIG R1 Ultimate, performs as good as 240mm rad AIOs and fits in your case

Yeah, I saw some info and price on the internet but right now the only motherboards available are too expensive and it will take time for the price too get affordable to me.

its not going to be worth the upgrade. and skylake is coming soon so you may as well upgrade to that

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Bro your rig is perfect, but overclock the 3450.

Can you overclock an i5-3450? Thought it had like a locked multiplier or something. can't go over turbo boost max speed of 3,5 ( if I'm not wrong).

Not worth it. There will be a very small preformance improvement at a large cost increase. Gaming performance will not increase

Oh cmon, an i5-3450 is significantly slower than a 4690K running an overclock. Even at a lousy 4.2ghz overclock it's 40% faster. The question isn't "can you notice", it's "will the OP notice". That depends on the games he plays, and the GPU. But a 40% faster CPU is definitely noticeable...

Also, those saying "get an i5-3570K and overclock" that board has a weak 4+1 VRM and POS mosfets. And this isn't Haswell with it's FIVR's so it does matter...

Can you overclock an i5-3450? Thought it had like a locked multiplier or something. can't go over turbo boost max speed of 3,5 ( if I'm not wrong).

You can overclock the baseclock, but i wouldn't recommend it.

You CAN overclock the bclk but its not worth it due to the things that it can mess up for basically non-existant gains.

When in doubt, re-format.

The multiplier is not locked you can set it to a maximum of 39 so you can get a 3.9 GHz overclock without touching the base clock.

Ooooook based on what i read i think i'm gonna wait for the prices of the skylake Cpus and Motherboards to get affordable to me...

I know I will have to give my PC a full upgrade( the new 1151 socket motherboards will not have support for DDR3 rams am I right?).

Thank you for the tips!

Ooooook based on what i read i think i'm gonna wait for the prices of the skylake Cpus and Motherboards to get affordable to me...

I know I will have to give my PC a full upgrade( the new 1151 socket motherboards will not have support for DDR3 rams am I right?).

Thank you for the tips!

Nope skylake has a DDR4 memory controller so your going to have to go get new ram as well.

Yeah, I saw some info and price on the internet but right now the only motherboards available are too expensive and it will take time for the price too get affordable to me.

That's what i meant with waiting for prices to stabilize. Z170 mobos are being sold higher than they should right now, in maybe a couple weeks they will go down, and you should be able to get a decent gaming mobo for 100-120 bucks, that's always been the case, but platform changes need to settle down before they become affordable.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10