Windows 10? Worth the upgrade?

So windows just came out and all of my friends have it and that stuff but yeah heres the deal.

I have alot of things installed on my computer and i don't want to do clean install or something like that.I wanted to an upgrade but that can make my programs not to work..right?

So since i have the worst internet on the planet and everything on my computer took me over a month to download. What should i do. And yeah btw another question is it worth the upgrade anyway?

I would say wait, I upgraded and my VPN is not working.. :( this is common in the first months of a new OS:

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

I'd say wait a couple of weeks, maybe a month, make a backup of everything you don't want to lose (just in case) then do it, there are still a few bugs that might need to be fixed. (just look at the recent topics box over the past week).

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

For me it was worth the upgrade. Just because I hated the way Windows 8(.1) worked. If you're fine with your current operating system then leave it as it is. If you feel like upgrading is something you want to spend time on.

1. Backup all documents, pictures, movies and all other personal files

2. clean install (please don't upgrade!! you'll end up reinstalling most of your software anyway)

3. reïnstall your software (<-- when I did this, I thought it would take a long time but that really is less hard then I thought. though If you need to download 60GB of GTA5 on poor internet I wouldn't do it.

I did the same type of install, kept all files and programs. Anyway, I'm still discovering programs that either no longer work or have serious issues.

So my say is if your internet is as bad as you say wait a little longer yet.

I chose to do the one where you only keep personal files, and it works fine. Overall, I like it, but there are definitely some minor things I don't like. Example: In the start menu, you used to be able to hover over a program and it would allow you to launch it with recently used files, but you can't seem to do that anymore.

If you are a gamer I highly recommend Windows 10. After upgrading, while, I didn't significantly notice any increase in FPS, I did however notice a much more stable consistency in the frames. This applied to all games, Battlefield 4, Total War: Atilla, Assassins Creed Unity, just to name a few.

I also really like the clean look of the OS. They did a good job on it. While learning where everything is after using Windows 7 for so many years took a few days, I am very content with it.

Have yet to install any Visual C++ or Video Editing software on it yet, but I can't imagine it'll be any worse.

My System Specs: (For Context)

CPU-Z TXT Report
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1            ID = 0
    Name            Intel Core i7 3770K
    Codename        Ivy Bridge
    Specification        Intel® Core i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
    Package (platform ID)    Socket 1155 LGA (0x1)
    Turbo Mode        supported, enabled
Chipset

Northbridge            Intel Ivy Bridge rev. 09
Southbridge            Intel Z77 rev. 04
Graphic Interface        PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width        x8
PCI-E Max Link Width        x16
Memory Type            DDR3
Memory Size            16 GBytes
Channels            Dual
Memory Frequency        798.1 MHz (1:6)

DIMM #                1
    Memory type        DDR3
    Module format        UDIMM
    Manufacturer (ID)    Kingston (7F980000000000000000)
    Size            8192 MBytes
    Max bandwidth        PC3-12800J (800 MHz)
    Part number        KHX1600C10D3/8G   

DIMM #                2
    Memory type        DDR3
    Module format        UDIMM
    Manufacturer (ID)    Kingston (7F980000000000000000)
    Size            8192 MBytes
    Max bandwidth        PC3-12800J (800 MHz)
    Part number        KHX1600C10D3/8G   

Mainboard Model        DZ77GA-70K (0x00000273 - 0x1831A958)

DMI

DMI BIOS        
    vendor            Intel Corp.
    version            GAZ7711H.86A.0039.2012.0426.1522
    date            04/26/2012
    ROM size        8256 KB

Storage

Drive    0
    Type            Fixed
    Name            Seagate FA GoFlex Desk
    Capacity        1863.0 GB
    SMART Support        Yes

Drive    1
    Type            Fixed
    Name            HGST HTS721010A9E630
    Capacity        931.5 GB
    SMART Support        Yes

Drive    2
    Type            Fixed
    Name            Hitachi HDS721050DLE630
    Capacity        465.8 GB
    SMART Support        Yes

Display Adapters

Display adapter 0    
    Name            AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    Board Manufacturer    Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD)
    Memory size        4095 MB

Monitor 0    
    Model            24GM77 (LG Electronics (GoldStar))
    ID            GSM5A90
    Serial            410KCZPBX741

Software

Windows Version            Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0)   (Build 10240)
DirectX Version            12.0

If you already use 8.1, 10 will be a small step. 7 to 10 is a bigger jump. So far my upgrade has run great, but I hate the color scheme if the UI. Just looks flat and dead. All my programs run fine. I did uninstall nvidia drivers and update those. Only drivers i updated too, all hardware working flawlessly.

So windows just came out and all of my friends have it and that stuff but yeah heres the deal.

I have alot of things installed on my computer and i don't want to do clean install or something like that.I wanted to an upgrade but that can make my programs not to work..right?

So since i have the worst internet on the planet and everything on my computer took me over a month to download. What should i do. And yeah btw another question is it worth the upgrade anyway?

Based on my own experience, your programs should be fine for the most part but you will need to install Windows 10 versions of your device drivers. Some devices may not have Windows 10 compatible drivers out yet, so make sure you check the manufacturers' websites before you upgrade. For example, it seems Creative hasn't exactly knocked themselves out to get Windows 10 drivers out for most of their sound card lineup.

So far I like Windows 10, though, and in my opinion it is worth the upgrade as long as all of your stuff is going to work. You do have a year to take the free upgrade, if you have any lingering doubts.

If you already use 8.1, 10 will be a small step. 7 to 10 is a bigger jump.

In my opinion 7 to 10 felt like less of a change due to greater similarity in the UI. Having the Start menu and Windows key function more like I expected them to made 7–10 easier for me to adjust to than 7–8. Just my opinion, anyway.

Heres the deal if you want win 10 its barely released, you will experience some minor issues along the way depends on your PC.

You need to aknowledge the monstruos data collection and privacy issues in win10, if you agree with such things then upgrading wont be a problem.

Win10 will use cortana for search in windows, you dont have the old calculator and photo viewer and the new ones arent that great, and neither is the start menu, if you are used to win7 start menu you will have to adjust you can do as much as you could with old style start menu.

You cant pin programs to start menu, they can be pinned only as live tiles which is annoying cause they are too big, especially if you have a small screen like a laptop.

Some apps still dont work, like the Mail app i cant get it to sync emails.

If you have ten's of programs and games installed i doubt they will all work, most of them should but i bet you will have to reinstall quite a couple of them, and make sure there are drivers for your hardware already avaible, like motherboard chipset, network drivers, audio and gpu, and optionally mouse/keyboard driver/macro/utility if you use such peripherals.

If you know what you are doing and aknowledge the issues you might have or disklike with windows 10 then it is worth it yes, the experience is better than win8.

In short the issues as stated above in this order:

-A few possible program/driver compatibility issues(i only had one audio driver which i managed to manually mod and install).

-Massive privacy and data collection issues, especially if you use Cortana/Apps and microsoft account, make sure to disable all of it in privacy options and DONT use express settings.

-The interface in unfinished like start menu and the new settings panel.

-You might have to buy win10 if you upgrade your hardware(unconfirmed), if its a laptop then it doesnt matter.

I had 0 issues upgrading from win 7 to 10. 

I have ~30 apps installed and 12 games, they all work fine.

You'll have issues if any of your apps are in different language than the OS. It will warn you before the update if any of them are not compatible.

After the update you can also roll back to win 7/8, without loosing any data.

IMO its not really different from win 7, maybe just a little bit better... I don't really use much of the "new" features.

The Data Collection issues have been wildly overstated. Yes, Windows 10 does collect marketing data, but so doesn't every web browser, Steam, Origin, and a whole host of other programs. On top of that, when you install Windows 10, if you do an advanced setup, you can choose to option out of all those Data Collection items. I even double checked the entire system service list, startup dialog, and the Windows Features list with the idea that it may still collect data even though I told it not too. However, I could not find anything service, that collected such information besides the Windows Error Reporting service; which if you are a tech enthusiast I believe is important because you are helping to improve Windows 10 by sending these errors for metadata to Microsoft.

I think the public outrage about Data Collection is ridiculous. I mean, your phones (unless you turn it off) collect your location, searches and more, and send that information to different companies. Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram also collect such information clearly outlined in their Terms of Service. If you are one of those people who agreed to that said TOS, and then were outraged at the idea that they do such things, then you screwed your own goose, thats how I see it.

This is the information age, and it should be no stranger to anyone (especially since this has been going on since the dawn of the internet) that companies might, and most likely will collect information that both A.) Help them market to you individually, and B.) create metadata so that they can market to wider audiences. Companies did this WAY before internet even existed, the only difference is they hired analysts to do it for them. Now, instead of devoting an entire floor of your office building to such a task, you can devote a few offices because you need less of these employees.