i7-4790k strange behavior (boosts to 4.4Ghz on 4 cores)

I would like to share some strange behavior and solution for intel turbo boost high overclock which result in high temperatures.

intel's specifications showing the following boost specs :

1-2 core load = 4.4Ghz

3 core load = 4.3Ghz

4 core load = 4.2Ghz

For some reason which I will be happy if someone can provide a reasonable explanation why it happened ! , the cpu reached 4.4 Ghz on 4 core 100% utilization rather than 4.2Ghz.

As a result of that the CPU temps reached 85 C.

I went into the bios disabled the "intel turbo boost" restarted the PC and re-enabled it -> now it will boost to 4.2Ghz on 4 core load, the temps now are up to 73 C.

Is that normal !?

I'm worried that it won't role back to the previous behavior and shorten the life of my CPU !

CPU: i7-4790k || Mobo: MSI Gaming 5 Z97|| Ram: GSkill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X r9 390x || Case: CoolerMaster cm storm scout 2 || Storage: samsung evo 850 500GB , WD Black 3TB , WD Green 2TB , WD 1TB external (backups/Media) , Seagate 1TB external (Backups) || PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ GOLD || Displays: Samsung C24FG70 , Dell U2414H || Keyboard: Logitech G810 || Mouse: Logitech G502 proteus spectrum || Headset: Logitech G633

I believe that means it is a better CPU, than the average CPU when they were rated.

Along as it beats the Box specification it should be fine. 

I would like to share some strange behavior and solution for intel turbo boost high overclock which result in high temperatures.

intel's specifications showing the following boost specs :

1-2 core load = 4.4Ghz

3 core load = 4.3Ghz

4 core load = 4.2Ghz

For some reason which I will be happy if someone can provide a reasonable explanation why it happened ! , the cpu reached 4.4 Ghz on 4 core 100% utilization rather than 4.2Ghz.

As a result of that the CPU temps reached 85 C.

I went into the bios disabled the "intel turbo boost" restarted the PC and re-enabled it -> now it will boost to 4.2Ghz on 4 core load, the temps now are up to 73 C.

Is that normal !?

I'm worried that it won't role back to the previous behavior and shorten the life of my CPU !

as long as it doesn't hit 90 (thats when the chip degrades) your fine. If you have any overclocks disable them, Also what are your idle temps an what about a CPU cooler?

oh and if you have some thermal paste, try re-applying that

I have never seen ITB clock higher than it supposed to, which app you were using to monitor core speeds?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Mine is always at 4.4 Ghz.  I think it's an Asus thing to presume that 4.4 Ghz is a "safe" overclock no matter what.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I believe that means it is a better CPU, than the average CPU when they were rated.

Along as it beats the Box specification it should be fine. 

No, it's a trick board manufacturers use to win the benchmarks. They just add 2 multipliers to the boost table.

It's usually called "enhanced boost" or something along those lines. It's also usually unknown to those board manufacturers how good the chip is, so they add a voltage that will guarantee the succes of the overclock. Usually something like 200mv. Disabling it helps with thermals significantly.

I would recommend you find it, and disable it OP. It's always a bad feature. If you want to overclock, do it manually.

as long as it doesn't hit 90 (thats when the chip degrades) your fine. If you have any overclocks disable them, Also what are your idle temps an what about a CPU cooler?

oh and if you have some thermal paste, try re-applying that

Idle temps are 29-33

CPU: i7-4790k || Mobo: MSI Gaming 5 Z97|| Ram: GSkill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X r9 390x || Case: CoolerMaster cm storm scout 2 || Storage: samsung evo 850 500GB , WD Black 3TB , WD Green 2TB , WD 1TB external (backups/Media) , Seagate 1TB external (Backups) || PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W 80+ GOLD || Displays: Samsung C24FG70 , Dell U2414H || Keyboard: Logitech G810 || Mouse: Logitech G502 proteus spectrum || Headset: Logitech G633

I have never seen ITB clock higher than it supposed to, which app you were using to monitor core speeds?

CPUID HWMONITOR

Idle temps are 29-33

Idle temps are normal, Are you running it in Prime95? or something like AIDA

Idle temps are normal, Are you running it in Prime95? or something like AIDA

Yes, Prime95

Yes, Prime95

Is voltage fixed or set to auto? Prime will run more voltage through your chip if its set to auto. Fixed, it wont. Thats why the temps are so high, Try running AIDA's stress test, its more realistic, your temps will definitely go down

That's happening because some motherboard brands do that when you enable XMP for your memory. They will make the highest boost clock apply to as many cores as possible, many motherboard makers might also raise the core voltage which I really don't like happening.

I know my Asus motherboard does that whenever XMP is enabled, it also gives me a warning when I enable XMP saying that I need a good cooling solution.

SNIP

OP please remember to follow your thread or else you won't be notified when someone posts in them :D