Render Blender

RexLee

I have a

PC: i5 530, gtx 550ti, 4gb ram, 128gb ssd + 500gb hard drive

Macbook air(haswell): i7 (1.7ghz turbo boost up to 3.3ghz), intel hd 5000, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd.

Even though my pc's gpu is better, but my air's cpu is better so which would render faster?

The PC of course XD laptop CPUs are not nearly as powerful as desktop ones ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

The PC of course XD laptop CPUs are not nearly as powerful as desktop ones ;)

yep, Just cause the cpu on your desktop is older the laptop(especially Macbook airs and similar slim laptops) will not have anywhere near the render power of a desktop CPU not to mention in all the rendering software I've encountered it loved the GPU as well.

Think of the desktop as a jeep and the laptop as an all electric smart car

yep, Just cause the cpu on your desktop is older the laptop(especially Macbook airs and similar slim laptops) will not have anywhere near the render power of a desktop CPU not to mention in all the rendering software I've encountered it loved the GPU as well.

Think of the desktop as a jeep and the laptop as an all electric smart car

more like a bicycle ^^

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

To be honest, neither would really render 'fast'. The desktop would be marginally faster, however you only have 4gb of ram - maybe 70-80% of which would be taken up by your OS and modelling package leaving next to nothing left for your render. Especially if you're rendering off any simulations (such as for global illumination and photon emission or fluids) you'll need many, many more gigs. Once you run out of memory it will probably start to use your hard drive and slow down even more.

It also depends on the renderer you're using. If it only utalises the CPU such as Mental Ray, your GPU will only be of use for rendering the viewport as you're working on the model. The vice versa applies for others (it will only use one or the other regardless).

If you're wanting good, high quality, high resolution renders, without having to think really carefully about polygon count and total texture resolution, you'll need a much better rig i'm afraid. 

4930k @ 4.5GHz - EVGA 780ti Superclocked ACX - ASUS x79 Deluxe - 32GB Tactical Tracer @ 2133

Thanks.Um....If anyone could answer this it would be helpful.I was using a plane and a particle system (hair) on the plane, but when I generate the stuff to the plane it generates on both sides.Can anyone help me? (I've just started learning blender not long ago so it would help to be more specific.) 

Let me restate the problem.I looked more closely at the plane and it wasn't generating on both sides it was just some buildings were half sunken to the other side any setting to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

Let me restate the problem.I looked more closely at the plane and it wasn't generating on both sides it was just some buildings were half sunken to the other side any setting to fix this?

It sounds like you may have set your origin point to the middle of the building object on some of them. Either that or you modeled the building without moving it to be above the origin point. ctrl-shift-alt-c opens the origin point menu.

I'm going to guess that you are doing the particle generated city tutorial on youtube by Andrew Price? (just a hunch I had)

He who dies with the most tools wins.