I Type Faster On Chiclet Keyboards

Go to solution Solved by Shikarikato,

I have a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with red switches. I have had for at least 4 months

Took me more than half a year to get used to blues.

Hi Guys,

I just conducted a test using my Macbook pro and a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with cherry mc blues. There's no other way to say it, but I can type waaay faster and prefer typing on a chiclet keyboard. While I love typing on Cherry mx blues and reds, the numbers do not lie. 

I've heard that touch typists can type way faster on blues because they don't bottom out. Is this true? Also, am I doing something wrong, typing-wise to make me slower on a lower quality keyboard?

bchampion96

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Yes. Blues actuate about half way down. So they can type faster by "touch typing" on the keys.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes it's true. Also, are you used tot he layout on your mech. keyboards? If you aren't that's probably what's causing it. When i first switched to blues from membrane i was faster on membrane cause i hadn't been used to the layout yet but now i can't go back.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I am the same. i am WAY faster on chiclet keyboards. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Yes it's true. Also, are you used tot he layout on your mech. keyboards? If you aren't that's probably what's causing it. When i first switched to blues from membrane i was faster on membrane cause i hadn't been used to the layout yet but now i can't go back.

Yeah, I am used to the layout. The Quickfire Rapid and the Macbook pro keyboard are very similar in layout if not identical. I'm also slower on reds I think because I need to be more careful about accidental keypresses

Yes. Blues actuate about half way down. So they can type faster by "touch typing" on the keys.

Do you think it's worth learning to touch type like that?

I find I'm quite faster on a chiclet keyboard as well, although I've had little to no experience on a mech keyboard.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I am fastest on my cherry Mx reds.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Uhh if you try a mechanical keyboard for 30 seconds and compare it to something you've been using for the past few months, you have to be retarded to believe one is superior to the other due to one improperly set up test.

IE: I type like garbage (60-80WPM) on my Browns if I were to grab my Brown KB right now but I type 120WPM+ on my Blues.

Uhh if you try a mechanical keyboard for 30 seconds and compare it to something you've been using for the past few months, you have to be retarded to believe one is superior to the other due to one improperly set up test.

IE: I type like garbage (60-80WPM) on my Browns if I were to grab my Brown KB right now but I type 120WPM+ on my Blues.

I have a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with red switches. I have had for at least 4 months

Do you think it's worth learning to touch type like that?

You'll type faster, but it's got a learning curve to it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thats not uncommon as theres less travel also I dont know how long yove hand the mechanical but you may not have adjusted to it yet. Also the mechanical is much more ergonomic and is much less jarring on your hands.

From all the answers, it looks like I'll just have to plug at it for a while. Thanks for the replies guys!

I am fastest on my cherry Mx reds.

^^^ This.....but it takes hella discipline and practice to do it well without too many mistakes.  Most people are sloppier than they give themselves credit for. The Catholic penguins taught me how to type on an old school mechanical typewriter.  The Shift Key was a B*TCH with the weak-hand pinky and all the keys in general were much tougher to nail down.  Took a while down to dial down my force over the years since my departure from that purgatorium.  I've gotten very use to Browns but now I'm on another learning curve because I switched up to Clears, 15g more of force but I like them better.

I'm killer on my K70 MX Reds but I make more mistakes.  Found that I'm more accurate with Brown, and just as fast because of less backspacing but if I kept on with the Reds I would get to my fastest ever speeds possible.

post-17816-0-40835700-1375526772.jpg

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

^^^ This.....but it takes hella discipline and practice to do it well without too many mistakes.  Most people are sloppier than they give themselves credit for. The Catholic penguins taught me how to type on an old school mechanical typewriter.  The Shift Key was a B*TCH with the weak-hand pinky and all the keys in general were much tougher to nail down.  Took a while down to dial down my force over the years since my departure from that purgatorium.  I've gotten very use to Browns but now I'm on another learning curve because I switched up to Clears, 15g more of force but I like them better.

I'm killer on my K70 MX Reds but I make more mistakes.  Found that I'm more accurate with Brown, and just as fast because of less backspacing but if I kept on with the Reds I would get to my fastest ever speeds possible.

^^ 

That is pretty friggin cool

I'm faster on chicklet than MX blues and reds but no greens. it's all a matter of who you are.

If you prefer the shorter travel distance of the chiclet keys, why not try putting O-rings on your QuickFire Rapid's keys?  That may make it easier for you to type if you tend to bottom out the keys.

But learning not to bottom out is also a good thing.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

really? you must not type all that much then... I dont see one month being uncommon for people who arnt heavy users of their keyboard but 6+ months seems like a awfully long time.

If you prefer the shorter travel distance of the chiclet keys, why not try putting O-rings on your QuickFire Rapid's keys?  That may make it easier for you to type if you tend to bottom out the keys.

The proper size oring barely reduces the travel distance by only fractions of  a mm. There is a lower profile mechanical switch made by cherry call the ML but your not going to see it on any "gaming" keyboard, especially since the MX have proliferated the market.

I just bought some :D Have to wait until I'm back in england to try them though :/

I just bought some :D Have to wait until I'm back in england to try them though :/

Where did you get them from?

Where did you get them from?

wasdkeyboards ones from amazon

wasdkeyboards ones from amazon

nice he makes the best one in y opinion. Did you get the blue or red?

nice he makes the best one in y opinion. Did you get the blue or red?

Red. I got them because even reds are really loud for me. I didnt want too much key travel reduction and they were the thinnest 

Red. I got them because even reds are really loud for me. I didnt want too much key travel reduction and they were the thinnest 

Theyll have a smaller travel reduction but wont quite as much i dont think youll be disappointed though.