The Hangar - FSX Enthusiast Club

AlwaysFSX
1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Do they still burst in to flames?

Probably not.

But you never know. Same reason why pilots have simulator exercises every month or so.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

I used to have GE Aircraft Engines in Evendale Ohio as a customer, and the Carbine fiber ring in the Rohr Engine enclosure has very close tolerances to the blades, so any ice accumulation will begin to put friction drag on the engine. the Ring is heated, and there to contain a blade separation, but apparently the slower revolving forward compressor blades on this slowest spinning engine (therefore Quietest) is a new condition not experienced on previous engines. The fix is to increase the clearance. My concern is will that reduce the engines amazing fuel conservation, by allowing air to pass the Front compressor blades? New amazing technology always brings new challenges.    

I'm looking at the Woai stuff now. Thanks

5 minutes ago, salc00 said:

I used to have GE Aircraft Engines in Evendale Ohio as a customer, and the Carbine fiber ring in the Rohr Engine enclosure has very close tolerances to the blades, so any ice accumulation will begin to put friction drag on the engine. the Ring is heated, and there to contain a blade separation, but apparently the slower revolving forward compressor blades on this slowest spinning engine (therefore Quietest) is a new condition not experienced on previous engines. The fix is to increase the clearance. My concern is will that reduce the engines amazing fuel conservation, by allowing air to pass the Front compressor blades? New amazing technology always brings new challenges.    

Increasing the clearance increases the bypass ratio if I'm not wrong. Wouldn't that let the engine ingest a slightly larger volume of air?

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

The very front Compressor blade drives most of the air around the combustion part of the engine like a propeller on a turboprop engine. The tighter the blades are to the duct the more air that is compressed to force out the air giving the huge benefit of high by pass engines. Kind of like a piston in a cylinder of an engine, the tighter the clearance, the higher the compression, to a point of friction. That's the problem, when friction starts the performance goes down and the heat goes up. Or in this case, bad load on the spinning engine. 

1 minute ago, salc00 said:

The very front Compressor blade drives most of the air around the combustion part of the engine like a propeller on a turboprop engine. The tighter the blades are to the duct the more air that is compressed to force out the air giving the huge benefit of high by pass engines. Kind of like a piston in a cylinder of an engine, the tighter the clearance, the higher the compression, to a point of friction. That's the problem, when friction starts the performance goes down and the heat goes up. Or in this case, bad load on the spinning engine. 

And the heat will go up to a point that the engine catches fire. Not good.

Well there's always 2 sides to a coin. There's always a need to compromise on something.

On a side note, have you worked on the GE90 engines before?

~~~SnapDragon~~~

I was an engineer and pilot that worked for IBM and Sold GE, The French CATIA 3D CAD package used by GE to design all their engines. So I was involved with the facilitation of engine and engine accessory design to fit in the ROHR Engine enclosures to fit on all Boeing and Airbus aircraft. Now I'm an old ex-engineer and ex-pilot, using FSX to try and keep the dwindling spirit alive. It sucks getting old!

11 minutes ago, salc00 said:

I was an engineer and pilot that worked for IBM and Sold GE, The French CATIA 3D CAD package used by GE to design all their engines. So I was involved with the facilitation of engine and engine accessory design to fit in the ROHR Engine enclosures to fit on all Boeing and Airbus aircraft. Now I'm an old ex-engineer and ex-pilot, using FSX to try and keep the dwindling spirit alive. It sucks getting old!

Nice! Very nice to speak to an engineer who had a part in the engines. ^.^

~~~SnapDragon~~~

17 minutes ago, salc00 said:

That's awesome. :o

Has anyone tried the Steam Version? I can't see spending lots of money going that way vs Box version. It looks like everything costs more money, i.e. aircraft ,and the building volume of add ons.  Is it really exponentially great, to be worth all that money? The couple of comparisons out there I have seen shows at best more stability and maybe better response. For me, running on this Alienware 18 I haven't seen speed be an issue. All my Freeware Cargo aircraft and helicopters work great. I start most of my flights from Connecticut's Oxford Airport since it is just a couple of miles from home, and an airport I really used to fly out of.  So I Start my Cargo flights from there with cargo loads removed from the aircraft cfg file and boost thrust 20%. Then when flying out of major airports I put the cargo loads back into the Aircraft cfg file.  I will soon see if longer than 3 hour duration flights will precipitate unwanted flight endings. I think that would be the only incentive that would force me to go to FSX Steam.  

15 minutes ago, salc00 said:

Has anyone tried the Steam Version? I can't see spending lots of money going that way vs Box version. It looks like everything costs more money, i.e. aircraft ,and the building volume of add ons.  Is it really exponentially great, to be worth all that money? The couple of comparisons out there I have seen shows at best more stability and maybe better response. For me, running on this Alienware 18 I haven't seen speed be an issue. All my Freeware Cargo aircraft and helicopters work great. I start most of my flights from Connecticut's Oxford Airport since it is just a couple of miles from home, and an airport I really used to fly out of.  So I Start my Cargo flights from there with cargo loads removed from the aircraft cfg file and boost thrust 20%. Then when flying out of major airports I put the cargo loads back into the Aircraft cfg file.  I will soon see if longer than 3 hour duration flights will precipitate unwanted flight endings. I think that would be the only incentive that would force me to go to FSX Steam.  

I have Steam Edition, it's been a toooooon more stable for me than Gold has been. Nothing costs more than it would for the original version of FSX, you just have to pay for Steam edition with is another $5-20. Just avoid the "Steam sanctioned" addons and look at the typical payware market and you're good.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I have Steam Edition, it's been a toooooon more stable for me than Gold has been. Nothing costs more than it would for the original version of FSX, you just have to pay for Steam edition with is another $5-20. Just avoid the "Steam sanctioned" addons and look at the typical payware market and you're good.

I've also got the steam version, and it works just fine for me! (although I haven't put much time into it at all...)

I've been spending too much time flying/building RC planes, and quads, etc. as well as working on getting my pilot's license... No time anymore! Where has it all gone?

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Thanks for the good news on Steam. Just Flew 4 hours. So far so good. Stupid me. the reason I had no AI traffic was I had removed all the base aircraft because I wasn't flying any of them. Can't have AI traffic without the base airlines. Put them back in and now I can't find a parking spot. Guess i'll tone back the 100%. Thanks for the yes votes on Steam.

what add-ons are you guys using? I just got it on steam and I want make the graphics better and maybe get some pmdg aircrafts..

1 hour ago, V36 said:

what add-ons are you guys using? I just got it on steam and I want make the graphics better and maybe get some pmdg aircrafts..

REX 4, WoAI, SweetFX, and a livery pack for the default 737 and 747.

Addon support for the steam edition is improving. I believe all of PMDG's products are now compatible with it.

2 hours ago, V36 said:

REX, SweetFX, PMDG 777, PrecipitFX and some cheap sceneries

~~~SnapDragon~~~

If I move to Steam, will I be able to load all my aircraft as I have modified them to Steam? Do I have to go back to the Freeware as provided version? I can't really tell what "actual" aircraft comes in the base Steam Package other than a hand full mentioned in the advertising. Is that it with only the Beechcraft 350 Turboprop for commuter sized aircraft? I have almost every turboprop cargo aircraft from Freeware, that have operable cargo doors customized and loaded, up to the Lockheed L188 Electra. The only cargo jet I use is the Airbus A300 Beluga. 

Just now, salc00 said:

If I move to Steam, will I be able to load all my aircraft as I have modified them to Steam? Do I have to go back to the Freeware as provided version? I can't really tell what "actual" aircraft comes in the base Steam Package other than a hand full mentioned in the advertising. Is that it with only the Beechcraft 350 Turboprop for commuter sized aircraft? I have almost every turboprop cargo aircraft from Freeware, that have operable cargo doors customized and loaded, up to the Lockheed L188 Electra. The only cargo jet I use is the Airbus A300 Beluga. 

All the aircraft in Steam Edition are the same ones that were in FSX and Acceleration. Any addons are completely separate from Steam Edition.

On 4/24/2016 at 0:24 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

I just don't actively be around the scene for it. Sometimes quite odd just how large it actually is.

well steamspy lists FSX Steam edition owners alone at close to 600,000 and thats a release of the 2006 FSX release with a few extra bug fixes so not bad at all.

Just now, LewisBloom said:

well steamspy lists FSX Steam edition owners alone at close to 600,000 and thats a release of the 2006 FSX release with a few extra bug fixes so not bad at all.

I think the only reason people bought the Steam Edition is because GameSpy killed the server for us. :P

10 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I think the only reason people bought the Steam Edition is because GameSpy killed the server for us. :P

cant agree with that as the majority of MP is done via VATSIM, PilotEdge and IVAO anyway so by-passes any inbuilt client anyway. That and the majority of users are not MP users too.

thanks,

Lewis

If I change aircraft registration numbers on FSX base aircraft with non US registration numbers to US registration numbers, does that kill their AI flight plans? Some of the US aircraft, like the Dehavilland DHC8's, and Boeing 737-800 have multiple aircraft with the same N-- numbers. Does that mean only the first one actually has AI flight plans and none are there for the other like aircraft with different airline textures? Is this kind of stuff fixed in FSX Steam base aircraft?

Or Should I be asking, with FSX Steam and WOAI and Real World Aircraft does these kind of lousy stuff just go away??

also what yoke does everyone use? I was going to pick up a saitek but its been backordered