Windows 10 search not working

Timmie

Hey there,

Yesterday like many I upgraded to windows 10.

The search function was working just fine. Now a day later, it stopped working.

Multiple machines, all the same problem.

What i've tried so far:

Reindex, restart windows search service and let windows search for issues.

Non of this worked. I don't seem to be the only one with this issue.

Does anyone know a solution or has suggestions to solve this issue?

Thank you for any input.

Edit: I did an upgrade from windows 8.1.

Did you do a upgrade install or a clean install?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Hey there,

Yesterday like many I upgraded to windows 10.

The search function was working just fine. Now a day later, it stopped working.

Multiple machines, all the same problem.

What i've tried so far:

Reindex, restart windows search service and let windows search for issues.

Non of this worked. I don't seem to be the only one with this issue.

Does anyone know a solution or has suggestions to solve this issue?

Thank you for any input.

That's funny. My search works perfectly even though I completely disabled indexing. Have you tried terminating the Indexing service and logging off/on to see if it springs into action again? When it was active on my laptop it was visibly slowing down system performance, crushing through everything at a ridiculous 20MB/s

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Did you do a upgrade install or a clean install?

I have done an upgrade. Edited my first post with this information as well.

That's funny. My search works perfectly even though I completely disabled indexing. Have you tried terminating the Indexing service and logging off/on to see if it springs into action again? When it was active on my laptop it was visibly slowing down system performance, crushing through everything at a ridiculous 20MB/s

This does not work sadly.

I have done an upgrade. Edited my first post with this information as well.

Do a clean install.  This is the kind of problems people have when they do upgrade installs.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Works just fine for me <_<

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Umm I had this same problem in Windows Insider preview build 10240 (RTM) and  deleting my user account and making another one fixed it

I don't think it's an upgrade problem rather a rare bug

I have this exact same problem. It was fine on windows 8.1, then I decided to fresh install windows 8.1 and it mucked it up. I thought windows 10 would address this issue but it hasn't.

I've rebuild my index numerous times, stop windows services, restarted, clean fresh installed windows 10. NOTHING WORKS!

Its more frustrating because i wanted it to just index my second hard drive and it takes a while for it to complete. However it still doesn't work.

Also windows search now won't even show basic setting when searched for example Sound,Network, Device manager. 

Side note: sometimes it'll work out of no where but the majority of the time it doesn't. 

THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING!

Edit: Also what I found out is that when command prompt sfc /scanow I get this error 

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

Edit 2:
I have tried dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth but it doesn't fix the issue, I get this back.

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Edit3:

I fixed the sfc /scannow situation by entering these commands into comman prompt I found this worked for me:

Open an elevated command prompt, right click and select open as administrator.

While still in the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter. 

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

While still in the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter.

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

Exit command prompt and do a restart after you have restarted Open elevated command prompt. 

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Edit4: I don't know if these things were/are related to each other they are just problems I encountered at the same time. Windows search still isn't working correctly. :(

Edit5: While using the search to search for sound, It doesn't show the sound setting, however if i click the 'Mystuff' icon it brings up more search options including settings related to sound. So it seems its not prioritising the search results correctly.

Edit6: I seem to have encountered more errors during sfc /scannow. I'm giving up slowly.

Edit7: I had no choice but to reset windows 10 by holding shift when clicking shutdown in the start menu, this allowed me to reset and install windows 10 (not a clean install). This fixed my problem with gettting the search bar to work correctly. Now i'm to scared to index my second hard drive because I feel it will f*ck it up again.

Edited by Princewhoknows