Thoughts on IR Blasters in Phones

ShaithEatery

So my contract is about a week from being up, which means I can get pretty much any flagship smartphone for a reasonable amount of money, and this whole year leading up to this has me more undecided on a clear choice of phone to get than ever before, mainly because the one feature that I've gotten so used to using and appreciate is the IR Blaster on my HTC One M7, and not too many phones that are compelling to me have this feature.  And now with the announcements of both the OnePlus 2 and the new Moto X Pure both seemingly not having one, I'm curious if I'm the only one who actually uses this feature on a daily basis.  I use Smart Remote to control my TV, Logitech z5500 speakers, and even a little off-brand optical audio switcher that I was able to record the IR codes from the crappy remote that it came with.  I can even search for any model of TV or other device with this app and download the IR codes on the fly (helped a lot when my friend bought a used CRT TV for older console gaming and it didn't have a remote with it, just looked up the model number and changed inputs for him right then and there).

So I'm curious, who all uses the IR Blaster on their phone regularly if you have one?  And if you are shopping for a new phone, is this something you look for in the specs specifically like I have been?  I find it extremely useful and awesome that I can do this with my phone, but it seems that I'm in the minority with the lack of comments about it on these newly announced phones.

There's an easy workaround being a bluetooth/wifi module that receives the signal and then transmits it directly to the device (either through IR or through some other connector). The advantage of this being that you can keep the equipment (in reference to dvd players/amplifiers/processors/etc...) hidden away (although there are also IR extenders). 

Anyway, I personally rarely ever use TVs (pretty much everything I do is on my desktop/laptop/phone) so I don't have any need for an IR blaster. As such, they're worthless to me and just ruin the aesthetics of the device (not that I really care about having a small black window-like port on my phone anyway). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Its useful but not a make or break feature

I still use my iPaq h2210 as my home remote

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I used mine daily on the galaxy s4 for turning on my tv and receiver and it is sorely missed now that I have a nexus 6.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

There's an easy workaround being a bluetooth/wifi module that receives the signal and then transmits it directly to the device (either through IR or through some other connector). The advantage of this being that you can keep the equipment (in reference to dvd players/amplifiers/processors/etc...) hidden away (although there are also IR extenders). 

Anyway, I personally rarely ever use TVs (pretty much everything I do is on my desktop/laptop/phone) so I don't have any need for an IR blaster. As such, they're worthless to me and just ruin the aesthetics of the device (not that I really care about having a small black window-like port on my phone anyway). 

I assume you're talking about devices like the Logitech Harmony Home Hub?  From what I understand you have to use their app to control devices and such, so while it's definitely a possible workaround and can make your home theater look cleaner by hiding devices away, I'd rather use software that I know works and is extremely flexible.  Though if I end up getting something without an IR Blaster, this will be my only option unless you know of any other devices that do this you could recommend. 

I assume you're talking about devices like the Logitech Harmony Home Hub?  From what I understand you have to use their app to control devices and such, so while it's definitely a possible workaround and can make your home theater look cleaner by hiding devices away, I'd rather use software that I know works and is extremely flexible.  Though if I end up getting something without an IR Blaster, this will be my only option unless you know of any other devices that do this you could recommend. 

I haven't personally used Logitech's Harmony software, but I know multiple people who use/have used Logitech Harmony remotes (not hubs) in the past -- and those were always the go-to choice for home media centers. So it's probably not too far fetched to assume that the Home Hub app is pretty good (if not overly complicated). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

And I still remember the days when IR was used to transfer data between phones :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile