Should I switch to Linux? I've used Windows all my life but now for some reason I feel as I should switch to Linux. 

If you've ever been frustrated not working properly in Windows, good luck with Linux.

If you are a software writer and are prepared to put considerable time in to things which are seemingly broken, you'll enjoy it.

The "flaws" when using Windows are never serious enough to make me want to switch camp after spending some time with it at a previous job.

Do you mostly game?

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

You wanna play the lastest AAA games? good luck.

You want a simple interface? good luck.

You need to use Rufus? good luck.

Adobe Photoshop? good luck.

Video editing? good luck.

Drivers? WHAHAHAHA GOOD LUCK!

glhf

Gaming - No

Software design- yes

Everything else - yes, but will be a pain to set-up

If you don't want windows try OS X first you can at least get apps

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I've moved this to Operating Systems and Software.

I think an answer a bit more nuanced than "good luck" is in order here....

Whether you should switch to Linux is entirely up to you. If you've never used it before, expect a learning curve. There will be new stuff and there will be hurdles to overcome. That said, if you choose one of the simpler OSes, like Ubuntu or (even simpler) ElementaryOS, you can get up and running in about an hour for your day-to-day office stuff.

What is your main use case? If you're a hardcore gamer, I'd advise you to wait. Gaming on Linux is slowly but surely becoming more of a thing, but it's not there yet. If you use your computer to browse the web, do homework, code, tinker, or whatever else that's not gaming or professional-grade media editing, Linux might be a perfect candidate.

Even if you don't switch full-time, it's always a good idea to try it out next to Windows. Dabble a bit in something else. Learning new stuff is never a bad idea :)

Should you need any help with specifics, create a thread and tag guys like me or @alpenwasser (amongst many, many others).

PS: to all the people saying it's THAT hard: my grandmother runs Linux. Not kidding.

Try a Linux Distro in a VM first, will let you get an idea of how a bunch of distros feel and if you like them.

Look at some of the more Windows orientated ones, and mess with that. Make sure to get familiar with the terminal.

And don't be too put off by what people have said. There are tonnes of Linux distros that are just as easy to use as Windows. Hell, my 80+ year old grandpa swapped to Ubuntu for a few years when his PC was struggling with windows.

Most things in Linux are easy enough to do, its only if you decide to use one the harder distros with more customisation that you might hit issues.

I'd actually argue that a lot of common stuff in Windows is easier in Linux.

Installing a program is just a case of typing the name in after the package manager, and then its done.

Upgrading the entire OS and all programs in one command? Sure.

Remove a program, all unneeded dependencies and clean up? Easy.

The only restriction here is that most/all of what I said is done via command line, which is obviously a different direction to Windows.

And I guess the only other down side here is all of what I said is great, but when it doesn't work it can be a pain, but that depends on the distro again.

Ubuntu I've spent ages trawling through random forum posts.

Arch I've fixed every time just using the Wiki or 5 mins on the forums.

Guess what I'm saying is, is that Linux does have a bunch of advantages, and each version has a bunch of differences.

Try a bunch, find one that fits and see if it fits well enough to replace Windows for ya. Or if it can't do that, maybe you dualboot, or have it on a secondary media pc etcetc.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Well after reading all these comment. I've decided to um...FUCK THAT SHIT!

Haha lol. Yea linux is fine. Ubuntu and Mint are the main newbie distros (I use ubuntu personally). If your into media creation then these apps will be what you want:

Gimp - - bitmap graphics

Inkscape - vecotr graphics

kdenlive - Very good video editor

Ubuntu Tweak will let use customise all of the colours, fonts, themes etc

Clementine Music Player is a realy nice player, but its always nice to have vlc player.

Games are as supported as windows but there are a few AAA on there through steam and there are other ways to play games such as play on linux. A quick google will let you know if it can be played on linux.

Video drivers aren't that bad, unless to start messing around with things. I have never had any issuse with AMD or Nvidia.

Startup Disk Creator for creating ISO images works great - never had any problems with it.

Ubuntu's interface is very nice (I realy like it) and Mint has a simular inferface to winodws 7, but both are simple to use.

If your in it for the long run, deffo learn how to use the command line. it realy is the best tool you can have on any system.

But you can create a live cd or usb pen and try it out for yourself before commiting to it. Try before you buy type of thing.

And if you want a standalone media player (htpc thing) then kodi is the app for you. Linux is a great and there is lots of fun to be had.

All who like unity must die...horribly

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

Actually, Unity mostly works these days. I still don't like it, but it does what it does and does so quite well... usually :P

It destroys low ram pcs...

Well,Linux is not that bad.I gave a shot to Xubuntu(ubuntu with XFCE desktop environment) on my netbook and I am starting to use it more often than Windows.It can do everything that Windows can except gaming(only if you are not getting WINE).And Linux is waay faster than Windows.

All who like unity must die...horribly

Thank God. I'm not the only one.

All Ubuntu users need to be taken out back and shot.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

Thank God. I'm not the only one.

All Ubuntu users need to be taken out back and shot.

Nah only those who like unity...not all Ubuntu users use unity like me

True true. But if you're getting rid of unity... Might as well install Debian. ;)

/me pats his Debian shirt.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

Linux works fine when there are no hardware issues.

Someone has posted in here exclaiming about the fact that their Nan uses Linux. I'm feel safe in assuming she is not a gamer or a power user and is just a casual browser. If there are no actual hardware conflicts, of course Linux is fine. I used to use Ubuntu on an old netbook for browsing because it made the best of the strangled hardware; except the wifi card never worked.

The issue I have with Linux is that, if something doesn't work, for someone like me who is not a developer or a coder, it is pretty much tough luck. If I have an issue with Windows, I either already know how to resolve the issue, or I can request further support from professional vendors or from a forum such as this one.

To say all Linux users need to be shot is rubbish, but I also know that it is a joke ;) Horses for courses guys, Linux isn't for me, but I do recognise the appeal.

The issue I have with Linux is that, if something doesn't work, for someone like me who is not a developer or a coder, it is pretty much tough luck. If I have an issue with Windows, I either already know how to resolve the issue, or I can request further support from professional vendors or from a forum such as this one.

If you have an issue with linux, you can get help from forums just as much ;)

If you have an issue with linux, you can get help from forums just as much ;)

Asking for a driver to be written for a specific device is beyond the remit with which I am happy to work, personally.

that shouldn't be necessary these days, unless you have very obscure hardware.

This sort of thing: https://gist.github.com/BeauBouchard/c496fcd231c3d06fced5

Nope. If I was JUST browsing, like I said, I'd have it on a machine like I used to with the old netbook. I don't keep hardware which can only browse, so it just isn't for me.

This sort of thing: https://gist.github.com/BeauBouchard/c496fcd231c3d06fced5

Nope. If I was JUST browsing, like I said, I'd have it on a machine like I used to with the old netbook. I don't keep hardware which can only browse, so it just isn't for me.

I think we're talking about different things here. What does that gist have to do with device driver rewrites?