Apprenticeships in gaming - or how to start a career in gaming?

I live in south east UK, aka 'the land of the queen'.

I have left "College" - NOT THE SAME AS UNIVERSITY. I currently have not got any job lined up...yet

---

Do companies in the gaming industry ever provide apprenticeships?

The only field I can find apprenticeships in is in traditional areas like the steel industry, etc.

Basically, in those apprenticeships, I'll be coding general purpose programs. Not that that's boring - I do love maths and coding, but I was hoping I might find an apprenticeship in gaming.

---

Also, would companies in either the gaming industry or IT companies involved in more general 'stuff' look down upon me if I start a career in one field and then switch?

So lets say if for a year or two I start making games, but then change to the other field or vice versa - obviously providing I go for an apprenticeship in the other field or have the necessary experience anyways.

---

Furthermore, last Q, how would you recommend I start a career in gaming? I am interested in making games on PCs, preferably on Steam.

I also do not mind creating in browser games (Applets I think they're called?) - only to get started though - unless I get involved in an awesome project/game of course.

I am also interested in making games for the 3ds - but from my understanding, Nintendo restrict indie devs or other devs from not making games for the 3ds unless they're involved in a well known company or something like that.

I'm also interested in making games on Android - simple games only, not "console quality". Because by principle, I am against mobile games because of the freemium route the android and ios marketplace have taken. Though I understand making mobile games could be a great way to get started.

---

So... any careers help?

Search for internships not apprenticeships

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

^

|Intel Core i5-4670K| |Gigabyte Z97P-D3| |Seagate 1TB SSHD| |Fractal Design Define S| |Corsair CS650M| |Asus PB278Q| |Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Bundle|

What qualification(s) did you gain from college? 

What qualification(s) did you gain from college? 

Physics, Maths, Computing, Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)

I have yet to get my grades though.

Physics, Maths, Computing, Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)

I have yet to get my grades though.

Have you not thought about University? Seeing as though you seem to have picked your subjects based on this career area. 

Search for internships not apprenticeships

For what reason do you say that?

more common and easier to get

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Depends on the specific country/region, but Apprenticeships are usually specifically limited to the traditional Trades industry (Plumbers, electricians, electrical engineers, etc). Internships are common for the IT/Engineering fields.

Besides, your country might use the terms interchangeably, so you should simply try replacing one term with the other and see what results you get.

First off, do you already know how to code? If so, what languages? What is your level of proficiency in each language? Have you made any games before?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Gaming and making games are two very different things. I really doubt you'd find any sort of internship/apprenticeship  teaching you how to play games. Also, the gaming industry isn't that nice in general. There are 2 major sides: the large companies similar to EA which will hire a team to do something. You won't have much control over what you make, and will be forced to meet deadlines possibly even meaning that an unfinished game is released. (you see the news). Alternatively there are the indie games, where you join/start your own team. You will have to work on another job at the same time to pay for things, and there's no guarantee that it will make as much as you hope.

You mentioned programming. Your best bet is to look into software engineering internships and get plenty of experience there, or alternatively there is a course that i'm doing at university (games programming at huddersfield uni) where 25% is games and you also learn about other things do do with software engineering. It's also a sandwich course which means you get help finding a placement for the third year (of which i'm currently just finishing a year in the silicon valley). One option for the placement is in the game studio at the university, but finding placements, especially in games, is very difficult (and you're probably not going to make much).

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Have you not thought about University? Seeing as though you seem to have picked your subjects based on this career area. 

1) Screw the debt

2) It's unecessary

3) Will take too long

4) I would rather learn by practically applying my knowledge and make products, especially games. Uni just seems too impractical. The only reason it exists is because going to Uni has become normalised.

I would be far wiser and better experienced IMO if I went down this path and started my career, as opposed to doing what everyone else does and then seeking an employer so that I can work the rest of my life to pay off the debt. Uni is more of a setback than a starter, under this government. Though I might go overseas if I decide to go Uni in a few years - there are several countries where Uni is free for foreign students. You still have to pay accomodation and all that jazz though.

Point being, I have more options this way and have the option to start my own company or work for myself in freelance. Plus, I am fundamentally against 'specifications' and exams and being fed knowledge. It's less enjoyable. Also, I don't learn that way either.

I'll just stop here - before this turns into yet another elaborate essay. ;)

EDIT: I'm not totally against courses and specifications, I'd just have to see the material being taught and how it is being assessed, before I make any negative or positive judgements about the course. I am thinking of going back to college for some gaming course, if necessary.

I live near Guildford btw!!

Edited by Alir

Depends on the specific country/region, but Apprenticeships are usually specifically limited to the traditional Trades industry (Plumbers, electricians, electrical engineers, etc). Internships are common for the IT/Engineering fields.

Besides, your country might use the terms interchangeably, so you should simply try replacing one term with the other and see what results you get.

First off, do you already know how to code? If so, what languages? What is your level of proficiency in each language? Have you made any games before?

Have I made any games before?

No

I have coded.

Minimal coding in python.

I intend to start C/C++ (though I think I'd be better off starting an internship soon in those languages so I can code there and at home - reinforces it all)

I have most experience in VB.NET mostly through my computing course.

1) Screw the debt

2) It's unecessary

3) Will take too long

4) I would rather learn by practically applying my knowledge and make products, especially games. Uni just seems too impractical. The only reason it exists is because going to Uni has become normalised.

I would be far wiser and better experienced IMO if I went down this path and started my career, as opposed to doing what everyone else does and then seeking an employer so that I can work the rest of my life to pay off the debt. Uni is more of a setback than a starter, under this government. Though I might go overseas if I decide to go Uni in a few years - there are several countries where Uni is free for foreign students. You still have to pay accomodation and all that jazz though.

Point being, I have more options this way and have the option to start my own company or work for myself in freelance. Plus, I am fundamentally against 'specifications' and exams and being fed knowledge. It's less enjoyable. Also, I don't learn that way either.

1. true

2. ehh, its unecessary for gifted people or people who dont work jobs you need it for

3. its not long at all

4. there are people with education that dont have jobs and you think someone will hire a person who dropped out.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1) Screw the debt

2) It's unecessary

3) Will take too long

1) You know how student loans work? You only start to pay it off once you're earning above a certain amount, think it's around 20K. Even then you pay it back in small amounts (about 50p a day..), and if you for some reason stop earning above the 20K or whatever it is, you stop paying it back. After a certain amount of years (few decades) if you haven't paid the loan off, it's wiped regardless of how much you've paid back .

2) In what way is it unnecessary? You'll get the training, experience and knowledge you need and that companies are looking for, and if you do an industrial placement you'll also get the experience. 

3) Yes, it takes a while, but if you really want something, you should be willing to do the necessary.

4) Depending on the degree you do, and the University you go to, a lot of them now are introducing more practical modules rather than just theoretical - using standards what the industry is using.

You're right in some ways, an Apprenticeship would give you real-world experience and get straight to the practical stuff; at the same time, doing a degree would allow you to cover all the areas (game level development, animation, programming, art, design etc.). 

1. true

2. ehh, its unecessary for gifted people or people who dont work jobs you need it for

3. its not long at all

4. there are people with education that dont have jobs and you think someone will hire a person who dropped out.

I might go to Uni, but that's not where I want to focus my attention for now. It's just a distraction.

I'd rather mature a bit first, especially in discipline, and then go to Uni - I'd get the most out of it.

I might go to Uni, but that's not where I want to focus my attention for now. It's just a distraction.

I'd rather mature a bit first, especially in discipline, and then go to Uni - I'd get the most out of it.

then the best way to get in is to make a project to show an employer. with just a word that you can no one will take you in.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1) You know how student loans work? You only start to pay it off once you're earning above a certain amount, think it's around 20K. Even then you pay it back in small amounts (about 50p a day..), and if you for some reason stop earning above the 20K or whatever it is, you stop paying it back. After a certain amount of years (few decades) if you haven't paid the loan off, it's wiped regardless of how much you've paid back .

2) In what way is it unnecessary? You'll get the training, experience and knowledge you need and that companies are looking for, and if you do an industrial placement you'll also get the experience. 

3) Yes, it takes a while, but if you really want something, you should be willing to do the necessary.

4) Depending on the degree you do, and the University you go to, a lot of them now are introducing more practical modules rather than just theoretical - using standards what the industry is using.

You're right in some ways, an Apprenticeship would give you real-world experience and get straight to the practical stuff; at the same time, doing a degree would allow you to cover all the areas (game level development, animation, programming, art, design etc.). 

21K I think the minimum was. If I'm correct, most people who get a degree won't even earn enough to pay it off - that's a very bad thing!

Why should I pay the government for education when education should be free in the first place? I would much rather give that 50p a day to a homeless person who needs it.

I'll stop before this turns political. lol

---

I haven't had the best of impressions during my life in the education system. It doesn't seem very effective to me, for someone who is trying to keep an open mind on projects. You're constantly being limited to what you can do on projects. Mostly, to satisfy the exam board who don't think practically and want to do a bunch of stuff which is unecessary in the real world, at least for what you want to do. Eg. I love programming and THAT is how I learn, but I didn't get that opportunity in college. Instead, the exam board were more obsessed with documentation which means absolutely nothing and makes no sense. You could get an A* and still learn nothing. You'd get that grade only because you documented it like hell. And at the end, you might not have even finished the project. As long as you make your program look like it works, you pass.

I don't say this because I got a bad grade in the project and am putting the blame elsewhere - I actually got a pretty good grade, I'm just saying it how it is.

So now, I would much rather do something practical.

So the best advice so far is to look for an internship in game design? I mean PROGRAMMING games, not game testing, unless game testing is a good way to get started?

Hi @Alir 

Im a .net developer here in the UK.  Been at it for 2 years and got my job through QA Apprenticeships.  The UK is looking more to apprenticeships to fill the technology skill gap that already exists here and is likely to increase over the next little while.

However I do not think an apprenticeship will be right for you, mainly because of your ambitions to enter the game industry.  By all means have a look around for apprenticeships but when I was looking I cant recall seeing much around in the games industry.  I think a degree is more necessary to get your foot in the door in the games industry it being such a competitive space.  So completing a sandwich university course like @squirrl recommended is a good shout, you get a degree and hopefully a year of good experience

If after that the games industry isnt for you you are unlikely to have any trouble transitioning into a more generic software development position.

EDIT:  You are right about most likely not being able to pay off uni debt especially if you live out at uni.  It was wrong of the government to increase tuition fees as they did what they effectively have done is implement a tax on uni grads until their debt is written off.  That would have been a better option IMO, rather than scaring young adults with huge amounts of debt.  We already have young people in this country topping themselves seeing no prosperous future for themselves imagine the impact a large amount of debt will have on their minds, might be enough to send a few over the edge.

Hi @Alir 

Im a .net developer here in the UK.  Been at it for 2 years and got my job through QA Apprenticeships.  The UK is looking more to apprenticeships to fill the technology skill gap that already exists here and is likely to increase over the next little while.

However I do not think an apprenticeship will be right for you, mainly because of your ambitions to enter the game industry.  By all means have a look around for apprenticeships but when I was looking I cant recall seeing much around in the games industry.  I think a degree is more necessary to get your foot in the door in the games industry it being such a competitive space.  So completing a sandwich university course like @squirrl recommended is a good shout, you get a degree and hopefully a year of good experience

If after that the games industry isnt for you you are unlikely to have any trouble transitioning into a more generic software development position.

Thanks.

I have looked into QA and will apply with then after I get my grades.

Worth noting, despite my annoyance with Computing (which I took initially, under the impression it would turn into my favourite subject), I mostly enjoyed maths - And I mean the part of maths which people usually hate such as Integration and Trig. For that reason, I don't think I'd necessarily feel dissatisfied with an apprenticeship. I might just enjoy it, but I would like to look around to see if I can start a career in game design instead.

actually uni may suit you better, alot of creative jobs require a portfolio to get hired, eg coding samples, artwork samples, design samples. university gives you 3 years too do this while also developing your self.  have a look at some game related courses.

what kind of thing do you want to do when making games, more creative or more technical? 

Thanks.

I have looked into QA and will apply with then after I get my grades.

No point delaying, most apprenticeships dont ask for A-Levels.  My employer just accepted me on predicted grades, and how personable I was.  Now is the peak time for apprenticeship recruitment it being end of school year (my own employer is in fact holding interviews for new apprentices).

No point delaying, most apprenticeships dont ask for A-Levels.  My employer just accepted me on predicted grades, and how personable I was.  Now is the peak time for apprenticeship recruitment it being end of school year (my own employer is in fact holding interviews for new apprentices).

My predicted grades are terrible, as they always are.

Long story short, after getting diagnosed with dyslexia 2 years after telling my college to test me, I was given a third year after getting undesireable grades. There isn't much education going on in the education system nowadays. I won't elaborate - don't have time

Employers always judge you based on predicted grades. If I show up with a U or E as predicted, I doubt they won't throw my application in the shredder, ruining my chances to apply after getting my grades.

actually uni may suit you better, alot of creative jobs require a portfolio to get hired, eg coding samples, artwork samples, design samples. university gives you 3 years too do this while also developing your self.  have a look at some game related courses.

what kind of thing do you want to do when making games, more creative or more technical? 

By creative, I assume you mean planning it and designing it (such as artwork and storyline)

And by technical, I assume you mean coding, etc.

Technical. I would like to code the games

By creative, I assume you mean planning it and designing it (such as artwork and storyline)

And by technical, I assume you mean coding, etc.

Technical. I would like to code the games

I think if you have a strong interest in coding, then you should simply start by coding. There are a million free tutorials online. Grab a language (C++ and C# are good ones to know, or Objective C if you wanna code iOS) and start going. Start with simple stuff and increase the complexity as you go.

Want to land an internship with zero experience? Good luck! Want to land an internship when you've got this sweet portfolio (even if it's not industry level good yet)? Much better chances!

Going to University or Technical College helps in several ways:

1. You learn the languages in a structured environment, where there is someone to ask for help if you hit a roadblock

2. You learn discipline. The working world is tough and unfair - better get used to it sooner or later

3. You get ACTUAL JOB EXPERIENCE in the form of Work Placement/Co-op Placement

Just make sure it's a college/university that does work placement, otherwise it's a lot less useful.

But if you don't want to go to University, then you should start learning a new language right now.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Any Btecs or A levels?

I'd go somewhere like LJMU to do Computer Game Design or something not too dissimilar

Apply next year, take a gap year and do something beneficial to your studies or get a job