Xonar DX or Sound Blaster Z?

I have the Logitech Z506 5.1 speakers and I'm looking to get a a good sound card to get more out of the speakers.

I know Linus says get the most expensive Asus card within your budget, which would be the Xonar DX. However, one of my friends who is a big audiophile has recommended me the Sound Blaster Z.

So, I'd like the opinion of the guys on the forum, what sound card should I get?

Links to products mentioned

--------------------------------------

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/surround-sound-speakers-z506?crid=47

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sound-blaster-z.aspx#features

(Can't find link for Xonar DX, sorry for the inconvenience)

My Build: Intel Core i5 2500k @4.8GHz, MSI GTX560ti Hawk, Asus P8Z78V-Pro Gen/3, 8GB Mushkin 1866 RAM, Corsair H100, NZXT Tempest

I use the Sound Blaster Z. It works very well.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Unless I am mistaken they both use the cirrus logic dac with 114dB SNR.   The asus uses 5532 op amps which are older technology but still very good and the SB uses 4556 which are newer and preferred for output performance (can drive upto 600ohm as a buffer). 

Unless you have some pretty special headphones or listening room, I doubt you will be able to pick one over the other for sound quality.

If it were me and I was hell bent on an internal card I'd go the blaster for the output op amps, otherwise maybe look at USB dacs, they are the way of the future :)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have the Xonar DX its a good card but honestly you need to take a few things into consideration when looking at these two cards. The Creative card is much newer and it doesn't need a external power source to power the card. Also, the Creative card has a shielding on the top which will help against interference which the Xonar doesn't have. I love my Xonar card but I change cards pretty fast. I hate the floppy connector its very flimsy, and I hate that it doesn't have a shield to stop interference.

Put the money you'd spend on a sound card into your headphone/speaker budget or buy something external.

Put the money you'd spend on a sound card into your headphone/speaker budget or buy something external.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I think a good sound card is a nice thing to have. It definately at least for me adds to the experience much more so then the onboard audio.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I think a good sound card is a nice thing to have. It definately at least for me adds to the experience much more so then the onboard audio.

How so? 

Well, for me the sound quality was a bit less muffled then it was with the onboard audio. I also feel like the sound is a bit more vibrant and full. I have a ASTRO A40 which requires for the full quality the use of Dolby Digital Live which uses a S/PDIF pass through (optical) and with its amazing without and using onbaord its not as good. 

Thanks for all the feedback! Regarding headphones, my above mentioned audiophile friend recommended me Grado SR60i or SR80i. I listen mainly to jazz/blues music and some orchestral stuff, and he said these headphones were well suited for the job. However, I tend to enjoy listening out of speakers more, so a headphone purchase would not be for a while.

My Build: Intel Core i5 2500k @4.8GHz, MSI GTX560ti Hawk, Asus P8Z78V-Pro Gen/3, 8GB Mushkin 1866 RAM, Corsair H100, NZXT Tempest

Well, for me the sound quality was a bit less muffled then it was with the onboard audio. I also feel like the sound is a bit more vibrant and full.

so, LOUDER. I see.

I have a ASTRO A40 which requires for the full quality the use of Dolby Digital Live which uses a S/PDIF pass through (optical) and with its amazing without and using onbaord its not as good. 

Is this a specific game that uses this?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Well, for me the sound quality was a bit less muffled then it was with the onboard audio. I also feel like the sound is a bit more vibrant and full. 

I bet if you did a dB matched listening test you'd be surprised at how similar they sound.

Dolby Digital live is used in everything its software surround sound powered by the mixamp and the sound card. And not necessarily louder but a cleaner sound that I prefer. 

Dolby Digital live is used in everything its software surround sound powered by the mixamp and the sound card. And not necessarily louder but a cleaner sound that I prefer. 

Lol, we were comparing hardware this whole time while you were comparing software.....

Thanks internet, good night.

Lol, we were comparing hardware this whole time while you were comparing software.....

Thanks internet, good night.

I'm sorry I'm not following. You were asking about my experience. I have a Astro A40 they are Dolby Headphones they run best with a sound card and they also run on optical which requires a sound card and the surround sound id done BY the sound card so I'm failing to follow here what isn't being understood. Onboard isn't awful I would just say that it would be far from the truth if you couldn't tell the difference between onboard audio and a dedicated audio solution whether it was internal or external. If hes paying good money on speakers I can't see a reason to have an issue with your standard 80-100 dollar sound card. 

I'm sorry I'm not following. You were asking about my experience. I have a Astro A40 they are Dolby Headphones they run best with a sound card and they also run on optical which requires a sound card and the surround sound id done BY the sound card so I'm failing to follow here what isn't being understood. Onboard isn't awful I would just say that it would be far from the truth if you couldn't tell the difference between onboard audio and a dedicated audio solution whether it was internal or external. If hes paying good money on speakers I can't see a reason to have an issue with your standard 80-100 dollar sound card. 

Firstly, you're not hearing what a soundcard sounds like if you're outputting from an optical port.

Secondly, it sounds like you're saying that because a sound card has DDL it's better sounding than an on board solution. This is an incorrect analysis because you can't compare the hardware between the two and then suddenly decide the winner based on some software. 

Thirdly, most people can hear the difference between on board and a sound card, and that difference is mainly volume. There have been great strides in the way motherboard manufacturers implement Realtek chips, and that's not just on high-end boards. Sure, you can take all sorts of measurements with scientific instruments and conclude that a sound card has better performance, but these performance gains are outside of human hearing.

Fourthly, he's not buying some set of high end speakers. There's nothing wrong with them and I'm sure he loves 'em, but he's not going to get some magical huge benefit from a sound card if his motherboard already has 5.1/7.1 analog connections.

There may be other factors at play that makes the OP want/need a soundcard, but sound quality is not a legitimate one.

Just because my soundcard acts as a passthrough for my mixamp so I can use DDL doesn't mean I'm not using my sound card I couldn't take advantage of it any other way. 

And just because I have a astro a40 now doesnt mean this is the only headset ive had. I've had a fair share and Ive had more then the sound card I've had now so that is perhaps pretty unfair. Not sure where the hostility is coming from. and just because he doesnt have professional rca speakers doesn't mean his speakers aren't very good. 100 dollars is 100 dollars. 

Why wouldn't sound quality not be a reason not to get a sound card idk if you can hear the difference then it is probably safe to say you can tell the difference in quality. And it goes beyond noise level different dacs have a different sound and feel to them.

I'm not being hostile, I'm being factual. I've already made my points so rather than sound like a broken record I'll just link you to some evidence

You link me a blog that goes into things that we didn't go into. If I were to take a gander the poster is a gamer hes buying a "gamer" audio solution or at least looking at it for a "gamer" speaker setup nothing to expensive but just enough. I just got the feeling off your post the 1st of 2nd off and 3rd off and so forth that hostility which I've seen on other forums namely toms where someone will say thinks like just buy this because this link says so in a mean spirit but either way hopefully the poster finds what hes after without going into whether a sound card is worth it or not. I only mention this because of the constant talk at times that this forum is inviting and friendly. 

If I were to take a gander the poster is a gamer hes buying a "gamer" audio solution or at least looking at it for a "gamer" speaker setup nothing to expensive but just enough.

Which is why he doesn't need a sound card to "improve the sound"

If there's a particular feature of a certain soundcard he wants (like DDL or DTS Connect), sure, go for it. Otherwise it's a waste.

That's all I'm saiyan, yo

P.S. the "Firstly" "Secondly" was just to organize the argument a bit better, sorry for the perceived hostility.  :unsure:

No you are right he doesn't. I like what it offers me but what I think is subjective to my own opinion. And water under the bridge sir.