[Build Ready] Need feedback! Intel Core i7-4790K, EVGA GeForce GTX 970, NZXT Phantom 410 (White)

Hello all, I made a post a couple days ago about my PC build, and I got ALOT of GREAT feedback! I'm coming back again, just so I can get LinusTechTips' one last opinion on my (I guess) final parts for my Computer. I was also posting around other forums to get more feedback.

So, once again, here is what my computer is for:

• Games, Video Editing with software such as Premier Pro, Schoolwork (Shouldn't be a problem), Streaming using like XSplit or OBS.

• Games I play are like: World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls Online, Dark Souls, CSGO, League, Osu!, Far Cry, Battlefield (Though I can't run BF4 or Hardline on my current PC D: )

• I do alot of editing for Schoolwork on Premier Pro, so as long as the PC can handle having to render 20min videos with Computer Graphics, it's golden!

• My budget was around $1,500 - $1,800, but $1,800 was the MAXIMUM extent I would go to. Hopefully I chose the right parts to try and cut down on cost, without losing performance as much.

• I wanted this computer to be as forwards compatible as possible, maybe replacing the case and that's about it, kinda stuff. Keeping alot of the parts when newer parts come out.

• I also need a Wireless connection.

Here is my (hopefully final) build parts:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dbfmzy

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($341.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($103.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.87 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($76.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($352.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($111.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($116.81 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1559.54

Intro
I'm not so worried about the components anymore, as most of the hardware I picked were from countless feedback from LinusTechTip Uses and others, so I feed pretty confident it will be a kick a** computer to use. I'm more worried about cooling, and other things that may cause this build to not be as great.

Cooling
The 4 fans I am buying are for the front and side panel fans. Mounting 2 120mm fans on the front for intake, and the ones on the side panel, and the rear for Exhaust.

Airflow should kinda look like this:
LKlUJnw.jpg

For the Corsair H100i, I shouldn't have to buy 2 more fans for a more effective cooling correct? The two 120mm fans that come with the Radiator SHOULD work pretty well. If you think not, why would I need to get two more fans? Should I get the H100i GTX for better performance? I am worried it will not fit in the top of the NZXT 410 since the H100i GTX is 125mm x 276mm x 30mm where the regular H100i is 120mm x 275mm x 27mm. The H100i definitely fits, since I have seen many, many people do it, so I can safely say that that will fit. Its just a little larger, but I am worried it won't fit.

I called up support on this issue, and they said that they only support radiators up to 240mm. But BOTH the H100i and the H100i GTX are marketed as "240mm" radiators. But they are both actually larger in dimension, as shown above. Does the "Radiator Size" the support person was talking about not include the parts that juts out with the Water Pipes? Maybe that would make the difference with the marketed 240mm size, but have a dimension of the ones listed above? I dunno... Anyone out there know more than me about this topic?

Dust
I was also really wanting to keep this computer for a long time. So to help with some of the clean up, I decided to search around for dust filters. I found a site for complete custom filters for specific cases, so I am probably going to buy the Complete Dust Filter Kit. NZXT 410 Dust Filters I have a question: Do dust filters hinder or help the system? I feel like it may cause the fans to lose airflow inside the case. If anyone can help me understand, it will be greatly appreciated.

GPU and Fitting
Now, I do know that the GTX 970 will not fit unless I remove the extra drive bays, but personally, I am completely fine with that. I only have a SSD and a HDD, so using only the two drives at the bottom is fine. If you think otherwise, please feel free to explain.

Please If you have any questions, comments, or opinions, please feel free to provide feedback!

Thank you very much for your continued help and feedback!
Kaz

make the top and back exhaust since hot air raises upwards 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

This does not matter as the air is being moved, but in theory yes the top should be used as an exhaust for maximum efficiency.

Get a z97 mono to overclock the CPU. I'd suggest if you've got the money get an r9 390x. It performs a little less then a GTX 980 at a much lower cost but is more expensive the. A GTX 970. Don't get that PSU. It's a G1 PSU meaning it was made by FSP. Use a G2

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Please for gods sake ditch the uber-expensive case and buy a cheaper one. (get Z97)

As much as Linus says the case is important, its not. If people say he's an expert, hes not, hes a good salesman/advertiser.

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

if you have the time go for a i7 6700k for more preformance improvements. or if you want an i7 5960x if your really using it to video edit.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

One thing i recommend for the front two fans is using static pressure fans since you have hdd cages in the way.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Looks like a solid build man :)

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

if you have the time go for a i7 6700k for more preformance improvements. or if you want an i7 5960x if your really using it to video edit.

A $1000 isn't necessary for people who want to video edit. In my opinion only major, hardcore video editors should get a 5960X and up.

Get a z97 mono to overclock the CPU. I'd suggest if you've got the money get an r9 390x. It performs a little less then a GTX 980 at a much lower cost but is more expensive the. A GTX 970. Don't get that PSU. It's a G1 PSU meaning it was made by FSP. Use a G2

In the previous thread I believe he said he isn't planning on OCing

In the previous thread I believe he said he isn't planning on OCing

then get a h97 :)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

IMO buying more fans is an utter waste. The case comes with 3 fans. The H100i includes 2 radiator fans. For a total of 5 fans. More than enough to set up proper airflow.

The H100i radiator has to mount in the top. Mount it to exhaust air. (If the budget allows, consider getting the newer model H100i GTX.)

Move the stock 140mm from the top to side or front. If the front, move the stock 120mm to the bottom or side. All as intake.

EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR is a vastly better psu. Currently has an MIR, but you can always use some of the savings from ditching the SP fans towards its acquisition.

The Seagate ST2000DM001 does not have a very good reputation.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The gains of a 97 board compared to a 87 board are almost nothing.

Does he need to do a Bios update? If so he'd need an older CPU which I don't remember him mentioning having.

Thank you all for the quick response!

I'm not really planning on raising the price as much, and I am satisfied with the Motherboard and the GTX 970. I was, however, wondering the parts were compatible with each other, if anyone would be conflicting ETC.

Also, if anyone knows, does a H100i GTX fit inside the Case!?!? The H100i definitely does, I've seen many people do it on other forums and videos.

Yes. Inception, like I said in the last post, I do not think I will be overclocking.

But the top will be my radiator and the dual 120mm fans for my CPU liquid cooler. The side panel and the back will be the exhausts. The air will still be moving in a sorta-mono-directional configuration.

This does not matter as the air is being moved, but in theory yes the top should be used as an exhaust for maximum efficiency.

Hopefully the airflow still isn't that congested to cause overheating. It shouldn't right?

I am not really planning on overclocking, and I have read up that the Z87 is a pretty standard MoBo and has a little overclocking capabilities.

Please for gods sake ditch the uber-expensive case and buy a cheaper one. (get Z97)

As much as Linus says the case is important, its not. If people say he's an expert, hes not, hes a good salesman/advertiser.

I'm actually pretty satisfied with this case.

Its not SUPER HEAVY Video Editing. I just Edit for my school's broadcasting network. So I just wanted one that could handle it.

One thing i recommend for the front two fans is using static pressure fans since you have hdd cages in the way.

The 4 fans I bought are Static Pressure fans are they not? I was planning on using them for the  front and back panels.

Looks like a solid build man  :)

Thanks man!

The gains of a 97 board compared to a 87 board are almost nothing.

That's what I thought. Since I'm not planning on overclocking anyway

IMO buying more fans is an utter waste. The case comes with 3 fans. The H100i includes 2 radiator fans. For a total of 5 fans. More than enough to set up proper airflow.

The H100i radiator has to mount in the top. Mount it to exhaust air. (If the budget allows, consider getting the newer model H100i GTX.)

Move the stock 140mm from the top to side or front. If the front, move the stock 120mm to the bottom or side. All as intake.

EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR is a vastly better psu. Currently has an MIR, but you can always use some of the savings from ditching the SP fans towards its acquisition.

The Seagate ST2000DM001 does not have a very good reputation.

I may just get 2 fans, and then replace the front fans since I will need more static Pressure. Move the front fans to the side, take them out, etc.

My question is, DOES the H100i GTX even fit in the top plate compartment of the NZXT 410? I'm really worried about that.

Does he need to do a Bios update? If so he'd need an older CPU which I don't remember him mentioning having.

Stan Z Man was saying in my last post that the BIOS wouldn't have to be updated since it's been almost a year from the update, and most of the old Update Motherboards have been sold. It would just come with the new one pre-installed.

It's been almost a year since the haswell refresh came out, and board manufactures install the latest bios when they roll off a assembly line, nearly every board that was manufactured before the haswell refresh has been sold, when buying a new Z87 or H87 board it no longer is a issue.

Even if the impossible happened and OP got a board with a incompatible bios, you can flash the bios on that and any other mid-high end Asus Z87 or H87 board with a USB drive.

But that will never happen because as I said before, when buying a motherboard new from a large retailer it is next to impossible to buy one that was manufactured a year before you purchased it.

Yes. Inception, like I said in the last post, I do not think I will be overclocking.

I am not really planning on overclocking, and I have read up that the Z87 is a pretty standard MoBo and has a little overclocking capabilities.

That's what I thought. Since I'm not planning on overclocking anyway

Use the Asus 4 way optimisation to automatically safely overclock it, or ditch the CPU cooler.

Use the Asus 4 way optimisation to automatically safely overclock it, or ditch the CPU cooler.

Why would I need to ditch the CPU Cooler? The Asus 4 Way Optimization is already on the MoBo is it not? The H100i I think is an amazing CPU Cooler.

Why would I need to ditch the CPU Cooler? The Asus 4 Way Optimization is already on the MoBo is it not? The H100i I think is an amazing CPU Cooler.

If you don't plan on overclocking the stock confer is more then capable and you would be wasting your money.

But one click overclocking using 4 way optimisation is preloaded in the motherboards bios.

If you don't plan on overclocking the stock confer is more then capable and you would be wasting your money.

But one click overclocking using 4 way optimisation is preloaded in the motherboards bios.

I'd probably use the one click over-clocking at some point in the future once I get the hang of monitoring stuff and knowing how to control everything. I just don't plan on doing it ASAP.

I'd probably use the one click over-clocking at some point in the future once I get the hang of monitoring stuff and knowing how to control everything. I just don't plan on doing it ASAP.

The motherboard moniters itself and the overclock it applies is chosen after it sees how good the cooling is on the CPU and so on, and the overclocks it applies are quite conservative and very safe.

https://youtu.be/BoaAT5TkXc4

The motherboard moniters itself and the overclock it applies is chosen after it sees how good the cooling is on the CPU and so on, and the overclocks it applies are quite conservative and very safe.

https://youtu.be/BoaAT5TkXc4

Thanks for the tip man!

And thanks for sticking around through all my stupid questions and desires xD

Really appreciate the help man.

yeah, keep the stock cooler and cook your cpu when you do any intense work or render videos. stock cooler is "decent" for short term, but not long term

I may just get 2 fans, and then replace the front fans since I will need more static Pressure. Move the front fans to the side, take them out, etc.

My question is, DOES the H100i GTX even fit in the top plate compartment of the NZXT 410? I'm really worried about that.

Stan Z Man was saying in my last post that the BIOS wouldn't have to be updated since it's been almost a year from the update, and most of the old Update Motherboards have been sold. It would just come with the new one pre-installed.

High static pressure fans are not necessary for case intake. Even if they have to push air through a drive tower.

The Nzxt compatibility checker indicates that the H100i GTX is compatible with the Phantom 410. The H100i GTX is 1mm longer, 5mm wider, and 3mm thicker than the H100i. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XA0x-ien6g shows an H100i in a 410. Since the two radiators have the same mounting points, it appears that the GTX should fit.

The Z87-Pro has USB BIOS Flashback. The BIOS on this motherboard can be updated with NO cpu and NO memory installed. All one needs is a USB stick with the BIOS image.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

yeah, keep the stock cooler and cook your cpu when you do any intense work or render videos. stock cooler is "decent" for short term, but not long term

I have a 10 year old Pentium D with a stock cooler in a system that gets pushed to 100% CPU usage regularly and has a thermal output of 130 watts, it's still going just the way it did 10 years ago.

It's impossible to get a 4790K with stock voltages and clockspeed to go anywhere near TJ max.