Your personal experience with the GTX 970

ShaunOfNintendo

So benchmarks are cool and all to get an overall idea of how a card should perform, but I'm curious get anyones hands on feedback of this card since I know everyone's experience with a card can be different depending on other components such as their CPU, Monitor etc..

It's a great gpu but with the 390 being out its kinda not it worth it.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

I had no problem with mine when I had them but returned them because of the whole VRAM issue. Just didn't like the dishonesty by Nvidia in that scenario.

That being said, there's no reason to buy the 970 now that the R9 390 is out.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I had no problem with mine when I had them but returned them because of the whole VRAM issue. Just didn't like the dishonesty by Nvidia in that scenario.

That being said, there's no reason to buy the 970 now that the R9 390 is out.

Unless you already have a lower wattage PSU and don't wanna change it up.

Maxwell's power saving is the only card the 970 can draw in favor against the 390 and that PSU consideration (not a lot more, but enough for some to not get it)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

With my very short time with it. A very silent card until you overclock it. And when you do the power efficiency is wrecked and shit gets loud and hot.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

With my very short time with it. A very silent card until you overclock it. And when you do the power efficiency is wrecked and shit gets loud and hot.  

So I should avoid overclocking it?

Well not that I think so. Once you start overvolting the power draw increases. But it does overclock well and is also a pretty fast card at stock. 

I'd say overclock when you feel/need to. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

No it overclocks very well but you can't say you got a 970 for the power savings.

390 is a better option.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Same as 390.

A lot of people are in the #390IsBetter bandwagon. It seems that everyone forgot that it's a 290 with more voltage and more VRAM that you're not going to use.

Overclocked it will beat the 390 by a small margin. But for 1080p is a great card.

Same as 390.

A lot of people are in the #390IsBetter bandwagon. It seems that everyone forgot that it's a 290 with more voltage and more VRAM that you're not going to use.

Overclocked it will beat the 390 by a small margin. But for 1080p is a great card.

People are in that bandwagon because it performs better, for the same price...

Go with a 390, and you can crossfire it later and take full advantage of the 8gb vram, except for games that don't scale well with cf. 

Most cards have 4 memory IC's on the rear side of the PCB, which are not cooled at all. This is really dumb. Apart from the fact that the last 512 MB of VRAM are useless, this is the biggest issue I have with this GPU.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

I own one and I think it's pretty good. If I were to buy a card now I'd buy a 390, because its about the same in terms of fps, but has more vram. But both the 970 and the 390 are great performers for their price.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Same as 390.

Everyone gets so hung up on the topic of rebranding products. What matters is that the R9 290 was a slower card than the GTX 970—consistently slower—and the R9 390 isn't.

It doesn't really matter where the silicon in the 390 came from, it's a product that's usually as fast or faster than the 970 for about the same price. Nor does it matter that it has 8 GB of VRAM. No, you won't be using it very often, but neither are you being charged much for it.

Same as 390.

I use nearly 4GB of VRAM in GTA V so that's not an entirely great argument. And if you play things like Skyrim you can definitely reach over 4GB. Games will start having higher VRAM usage as time goes on--it's just how the world of technology works.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I use nearly 4GB of VRAM in GTA V so that's not an entirely great argument. And if you play things like Skyrim you can definitely reach over 4GB. Games will start having higher VRAM usage as time goes on--it's just how the world of technology works.

But you will never reach 8GB.

Both the 290 and 970 aren't powerful enough to deliver decent framerates at games that require lots of VRAM

AMAZING. The card performs fantastically, and I have the ASUS Strix 970 so it's VERY quiet. I honestly don't give a crap about the 3.5 gigs of VRAM, because I can't tell a difference. After all, AMD's Fury X is their flagship card right now, at only 4 gigs of VRAM. 3.5 isn't bad. So I've had a great experience with my card. Works great on my 1080p, 60 Hz monitor. It apparently struggles with Metro: Last Light, but it works fine with all the game's I've ever played and I can get around 2k FPS in Minecraft.

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

AMAZING. The card performs fantastically, and I have the ASUS Strix 970 so it's VERY quiet. I honestly don't give a crap about the 3.5 gigs of VRAM, because I can't tell a difference. After all, AMD's Fury X is their flagship card right now, at only 4 gigs of VRAM. 3.5 isn't bad. So I've had a great experience with my card. Works great on my 1080p, 60 Hz monitor. It apparently struggles with Metro: Last Light, but it works fine with all the game's I've ever played and I can get around 2k FPS in Minecraft.

there is a difference between 4 gigs of hbm and 4 gigs of gddr5 memory

Same as 390.

Bro the memory clockspeed got a 20% boost and power delivery is completely different.

It's not the same card.

The amount of uppercase letters.

post-222431-0-03271500-1437498326.jpg

post-222431-0-03271500-1437498326.jpg

i have been using a MSI 970 for a while and i love it so quiet and more than enough power for 1080p also i use it primary for 3x 1080p and it works really well even though the 3.5GB...

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER