Improvised monitor stand with softfoam & duct tape

Remember to take photos everytime you do something tech related and post it to forum.

I'm going to Finlands biggest lan party, Assembly, this weekend. My main monitor is 24" and so too big since I'll travel by train. Last years I've used my old 19" 4:3 lcd monitor. Its nice and small but I have to set every resolution to support it just for one weekend. This year I have option to take widescreen with me. My brother offered his 22" screen if I don't manage to succeed in this topics project. My choise is my 2nd monitor, 19" wide. Good news: its working, wide and small enought. Bad news: it lacks stand. or half of it. I got it for 24€ and stand got lost in mail. I had backup leg made from cardboard earlier but it broke. Now its been attached to cheap monitor arm.

Here's the problematic monitor

envision.jpg

Step 1. Attaching whats left of real stand. (Sorry for bad quality. I had no time to take better)

IMG_2527.jpg

Step 2. I would have used cardboard but I don't really have any extra laying around. That's why I chose softfoam and duct tape. Not best choise but I don't have time for more. First thing was to measure how high I want monitor to be. I used 24" as reference and measured how high it's center was. I think 19" will be bit too high but I can at least lower it if needed.

Step 3. I cut 5 pieces of foam.

IMG_2518.jpg

Step 4. First piece I tugged around stand.

IMG_2522.jpg

Step 5. At this point I had to think a bit. There's three important things I need to address before continuing. Monitor can't wave from side to side. It can't fall backwards or forwards. How I will put rest of foam pads? Not just to sides. Bad idea.

Step 6. So I put them 2 in front with piece of cardboard as spacer. This might have been enought but to be sure...

IMG_2524.jpg

Step 7. ... I added 2 more to back side. Now it feels pretty good and stable. Problem is that monitor is bit tilted to right. I need to take some foam with me to lan and fix it there.

IMG_2526.jpg

Step 8. Assembly Lan. Will see how this works.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Ghetto!

CoolerMaster HAF 932 -- A10-5800k -- ASrock FM2A55M-DGS -- Corsair H80i -- Sapphire Radeon HD7850 -- OCZ ZT 750W

Ah man that is frickin sweet!

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue