Is Windows 8.1 worth it?

Oberon.Smite
Go to solution Solved by techarmyhd,

YES  Edit: DEFINITELY   

I can get Windows 8.1 for just 12 dollars. I want to use Win 8.1 to get Win 10 Pro. Is it worth it?

YES  Edit: DEFINITELY   

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @4.3GHZ COOLER: Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2  MOBO: Asus Z97-E RAM: Kingston Hyper X Black 2x4GB GPU: Soon to be EVGA 1070! Case: Fractal Define S Storage:PNY 240GB SSD, 500GB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Corsair RM650x

Yep!

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

win8.1 + classicshell/start8 = worth it

win 8.1 by itself, NOPE

That's going to be irrelevant in 10 days. But anyways, people who don't like the metro GUI amuse me. It's actually pretty intuitive. 

Anyways, OP, the fact you're basically getting Win 10 for 12 bucks is your best deal there. Enjoy. 

That's going to be irrelevant in 10 days. But anyways, people who don't like the metro GUI amuse me. It's actually pretty intuitive. 

Anyways, OP, the fact you're basically getting Win 10 for 12 bucks is your best deal there. Enjoy. 

yep, if you have a touchscreen

otherwise it's a waste of time

For sure. 

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

Yes, get it. Hell, get two copies for $24 and sell the other one if you can.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

yep, if you have a touchscreen

otherwise it's a waste of time

You tell me whats the issue with it. On a non-touch device of course. You can right click it you know to get your more "common" actions. You can click it and type ANYTHING you want. ie. Control Panel, or straight to Windows Updates. Why simply typing in 'Calc' gets me the calculator, but the old start menu takes me like 15 clicks! brutal. Just brutal. 

You tell me whats the issue with it. On a non-touch device of course. You can right click it you know to get your more "common" actions. You can click it and type ANYTHING you want. ie. Control Panel, or straight to Windows Updates. Why simply typing in 'Calc' gets me the calculator, but the old start menu takes me like 15 clicks! brutal. Just brutal. 

win+r "calc" <enter>

don't need a mouse, or search for that ;)

The entire thing is a mess

win+r "calc" <enter>

don't need a mouse, or search for that ;)

The entire thing is a mess

So you added another way of finding it without going Start>All Programs> Accessories>System Tools> Calculator? Or whatever it was....I fail to see how you're helping your point here.

I click the windows symbol and start typing. I don't even need to click the mouse on the search box! Its just way easier. Either way, they are bringing back your precious Start menu. I don't know why, it's not needed anymore. But Win 10 will be like any other OS. iOS 8 for example brought us many features that iOS 7 lacked and people jailbroke their phones for. Every OS does this. Each update makes it better and better.

Yeah, but it is a hassle for me to get to the search thing on the right. I end up holding my mouse there for like 2 seconds and then it pops up. Is there a shortcut for search? On Mac it's Command-Space but Idk, I've used Win 8 forever and I still don't know how to do it.

Yeah, but it is a hassle for me to get to the search thing on the right. I end up holding my mouse there for like 2 seconds and then it pops up. Is there a shortcut for search? On Mac it's Command-Space but Idk, I've used Win 8 forever and I still don't know how to do it.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean? When you click the windows icon in the bottom left, literally start typing right away and the search function will work. ONE click and type, easy as that. 

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean? When you click the windows icon in the bottom left, literally start typing right away and the search function will work. ONE click and type, easy as that.

I know this is going to sound stupid but after upgrading from win 7 - > 8.1, I literally never use the start screen. I stay on the desktop 99.99% of the time. I'm just not used to the start screen. I have my pc set up to go to the program view when clicking the windows key/button but I didn't know you could search from there (I also rarely use it) Cool though, thanks! [emoji1]

I know this is going to sound stupid but after upgrading from win 7 - > 8.1, I literally never use the start screen. I stay on the desktop 99.99% of the time. I'm just not used to the start screen. I have my pc set up to go to the program view when clicking the windows key/button but I didn't know you could search from there (I also rarely use it) Cool though, thanks! [emoji1]

No worries! I too spent probably quite a b it time just on the desktop as well. I actually had to write up a quick tips video for a friends review site, and by doing so I learned a few neat tricks about how to easily navigate Windows 8 compared to the "old fashioned way".

No worries! I too spent probably quite a b it time just on the desktop as well. I actually had to write up a quick tips video for a friends review site, and by doing so I learned a few neat tricks about how to easily navigate Windows 8 compared to the "old fashioned way".

Cool. I guess I'll just have to re-learn when I upgrade to win 10. I'll probably spend some time watching videos or reading stuff on how to navigate efficiently. I'm at the point where my computer isn't slowing me down anymore, it'd the way I use my os. I remember when win 7 (I upgraded from xp on an old pc) came out and I learned so many cool navigaton tips from friends that sped up my work.