is it a stupid/unnecessary decision to get a flagship GPU for a monitor with 60hz refresh rate?

something i'm being bothered about right now,

TLDR: Would a top tier flagship GPU be an overkill for a 1080p 60hz monitor?

Okay..Story time...

making a build for a guy who already has a good ips monitor, but it is locked at 60 hz @1080p , he wants a pretty solid gpu to go along with it & has a decent amount of cash saved up for it so that is not an issue, (originally planing on 390x or a fury x from amd side or 980 or 980 ti from the green side), He's been saving it up for a while with intention of buying the best, (other build components already locked are an i7 & ridiculous 16 gigs of ram & an overkill 1000 watts psu :/ (hey atleast he'll get a pretty decent 12v amperage)  )

asked me for help on the whole thing , (unfortunately i reccommended all of those i said above :mellow: ) But chugging through some benchmarks online for a GPU portion, showed most of the games pumped out like insane amounts 140+ on BF4 etc & some/few on ultra settings getting the good ol 60fps treatement so my question would be if he were to buy one ubertastic GPU to go along with that gpu would that be stupid? or should i pursuade him to get a mid range GPU

Details separate people.

Yes.

Better get a higher res display.

IMO a 970 is more than enough.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Unless he plans to keep it for a very very long time, it's better to invest on a monitor with a higher refresh rate or resolution.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Depends on the games he wants to play, if he wants to play something like witcher 3 you would need a 980 at least for max settings @1080p

15e01ad651.png

I would personally get a 390 for gaming at 1080p 60FPS. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

If he has the money, getting a better monitor would be a good idea for a flagship card. A 980ti or Fury X is just a waste of money for 60Hz 1080p

Yea and no. Depending on what game you play such as gta v, battlefield 4, crysis 3, etc., your computer will benefit from the extra power from your gpu. Also, if you ever get money in the future you could upgrade to 1440p or even 4k

Or if you're just only playing tf2 or cs:go than yes it's overkill lol

Taran should run for president!

Well if he's willing to spend the money, and already has the other parts being over powered for his needs, why not match them and get a high end GPU? Maybe he can upgrade the monitor a couple months to a year down and gain the full benefit from it :)

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Top of the line? Yes. But it's not too far down the line in my opinion, if you want max settings on every game and 60 FPS minimum as well. That's the thing most people show performance as average FPS but that means most games routinely dip below 60 even when averaging 90 or so and without freesync or gsync it means that your monitor would go back and for between 30 effective and 60 effective. Some monitors will have settings like mine that can do 50hz but then it falls down to 30hz.

So for a locked monitor yeah it's not ideal but if you wanna maintain 60fps with all of the detail you can squeeze in from a game, then even for 1080p you'll need not a top of the line card but a 980 or Fury to handle modern games without frequent dips below 60

-------

Current Rig

-------

Depends on the game

Minecraft with shaders will get less than 60fps even with a 980ti lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

something i'm being bothered about right now,

TLDR: Would a top tier flagship GPU be an overkill for a 1080p 60hz monitor?

Okay..Story time...

making a build for a guy who already has a good ips monitor, but it is locked at 60 hz @1080p , he wants a pretty solid gpu to go along with it & has a decent amount of cash saved up for it so that is not an issue, (originally planing on 390x or a fury x from amd side or 980 or 980 ti from the green side), He's been saving it up for a while with intention of buying the best, (other build components already locked are an i7 & ridiculous 16 gigs of ram & an overkill 1000 watts psu :/ (hey atleast he'll get a pretty decent 12v amperage)  )

asked me for help on the whole thing , (unfortunately i reccommended all of those i said above :mellow: ) But chugging through some benchmarks online for a GPU portion, showed most of the games pumped out like insane amounts 140+ on BF4 etc & some/few on ultra settings getting the good ol 60fps treatement so my question would be if he were to buy one ubertastic GPU to go along with that gpu would that be stupid? or should i pursuade him to get a mid range GPU

no i wouldn't be stupid since you can up the quality to ultra with some SSAO to get 60 fps to match your 60 hz screen

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Yes overkill if he doesn't upgrade to a higher refresh rate or resolution

I would just get a 390

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4