How do people get all day battery life on their phones?

legend8887

I hear everyone bragging about getting battery life on their phone that lasts all day and bleeds into the next day. Surely they can't be using their phone much at all, right?

What phone do you have

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

but not using it 24/7 is most likely how they do it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Because I use an E1.

Though it lasts me days because I barely use the phone

This is a signature.

Turn off GPS and wifi and only use it when you need it.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

if you have already tried turning off things like bluetooth, gps, etc. what i would recommend you try is turn off WIFI SCANNING EVEN WHEN WIFI IS OFF. This option is unlocked when you go to the wifi tab and press the menu button. Press advanced and it can be turned off. What this will do is prevent apps from scanning for wifi connections after you turn wifi off. (a useless feature i think). I did this for my s3 and no more bs. its not life changing, but does let me use my phone for 2 days after full charge and little use.

I hear everyone bragging about getting battery life on their phone that lasts all day and bleeds into the next day. Surely they can't be using their phone much at all, right?

Mine lasts me about 13 hrs with me using it MAYBE 4 hrs of that. Please note; my phone is old, my battery is old, and I have bad charging habits (charging it overnight; leaving it charging when full; not restarting the phone ever; not letting it "die" periodically; etc)

GIGABYTE Z97MX-G516GB DDR3 | I5 4690k @ 4.4ghz | 1TB SSHD, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD | GTX 1070 8GB | Corsair Graphite 230 | EVGA 650W | Hyper 212 EVO

Cinebench R15: 636(all cores), 127FPS

Bluetooth off

Gps off

Screen brightness low

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Biggest hit to battery life it's 3G or LTE or any sort of mobile data. By far this will make a supposedly 1 day phone into more of a 7 hour if you're lucky phone. Most of the time I actually turn off data on my phone. In home I switch to wifi and can easily last a day with heavy use. When out and about if I know I will not be using data for long periods of time a.k.a. while at work, I put it on no data or even airplane mode (I know it defeats the purpose of having a phone but if it's urgent they can PM me by lots of means or leave a voice mail) 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I use my phone for streaming music 4-8 / calls .5-1 / light web browsing .5-1/ answering texts/bbm .5-2 hours a day I Usually get 2 days use out of a full charge (straight off the charger from morning the first day to nearly dead when I go to sleep on the second) .HTC One M8 Digital High GPE+ ROM WiFi and Bluetooth always on 1/2 screen brightness max on adaptive.

Edit: if I watch a couple of videos (30-45min) in that time it only lasts still I get out of work on the second day

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Mine lasts me about 13 hrs with me using it MAYBE 4 hrs of that. Please note; my phone is old, my battery is old, and I have bad charging habits (charging it overnight; leaving it charging when full; not restarting the phone ever; not letting it "die" periodically; etc)

LG G3.

dont worry, getting a replacement it pretty easy http://www.amazon.com/LG-Battery-Standard-Genuine-Replacement/dp/B00RC9O5ZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1437184952&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+g3+battery

this should hopefully do the trick for the aforementioned guy with the g3 that wants more life. i did this to my s3 and it also helped

in short, update the wifi settings and get a new battery

I use custom roms and kernels and lower voltages and min. idle clock speeds. usually lasts me 2-3 days on light use and 2 days of normal use.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I use my phone the way it was intended with all notifications, radios turned on, auto brightness enabled. I don't close apps because the os is smart enough to mange it on its own. Unless you're playing asphalt 8 or something, you should be getting good battery life.

I use custom roms and kernels and lower voltages and min. idle clock speeds. usually lasts me 2-3 days on light use and 2 days of normal use.

This it was amazing too see how much of a gain you can get out of a phone for Standby power usage with a good custom ROM.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

This it was amazing too see how much of a gain you can get out of a phone for Standby power usage with a good custom ROM.

it really is, some of the biggest improvements i've gotten was just by changing that CPU governers from stock to something like smartmax.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

dont worry, getting a replacement it pretty easy http://www.amazon.com/LG-Battery-Standard-Genuine-Replacement/dp/B00RC9O5ZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1437184952&sr=1-1&keywords=lg+g3+battery

this should hopefully do the trick for the aforementioned guy with the g3 that wants more life. i did this to my s3 and it also helped

in short, update the wifi settings and get a new battery

I'll get a new battery. What do you mean update the Wi-Fi settings?

Custom ROMs with underclocked CPUs and GPUs, that's how I last for more than a day at times. 

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I'll get a new battery. What do you mean update the Wi-Fi settings?

img_54f7b0d2c1e2a.png

then do this

img_54f7b31055413.png

set scanning to off

img_54f7b0d2c1e2a.png

then do this

img_54f7b31055413.png

set scanning to off

What if I need to use Google Maps?

What if I need to use Google Maps?

it wont affect it. just turn on gps when u use maps

TBH it really just makes wifi stay on even when its off. (Srs Google?)

I cut back my usage and use basic power saving tips like reduced brightness and turn off unused wireless connectivity like WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. I also kill background apps so they don't suck data and juice while idle.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

Heyyo, there's also lots of people who claim more than one day battery on a OnePlus One... But they only use texts and calls. Looking at their battery screenshots? They don't do anything else.

Also, avoid lollipop 5.0.2 as it has bad memory leaks. Custom roms and such have fixes for color fade memory leak but not the others.. So use 4.4.4 Kitkat or 5.1.1 if it is available for your device.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case