CaseLabs apologizes to ThermalTake about accusations

FranBunnyFFXII

Yep I'm also guessing that Thermaltake might also be able to do legal action in someway since case labs was claiming ownership (in a way) on something they didn't have.

Probably. And they probably would. Because now, with the one short petty and childish outburst from the Keating family. Has managed to hurt Thermaltake's western sales, create a bad image from them and cause Thermaltake's employees unrest. 

Jay's video also states that Caselabs cases were also inspired from Mountain Mods's cases. So really, who is copying who? I can see that the Keating family did not consider thinking twice when they posted that post on Facebook. And because of that selfish action, they have managed to paint a bad image for Caselabs.   

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Probably. And they probably would. Because now, with the one short petty and childish outburst from the Keating family. Has managed to hurt Thermaltake's western sales, create a bad image from them and cause Thermaltake's employees unrest. 

Jay's video also states that Caselabs cases were also inspired from Mountain Mods's cases. So really, who is copying who? I can see that the Keating family did not consider thinking twice when they posted that post on Facebook. And because of that selfish action, they have managed to paint a bad image for Caselabs.   

There's a difference between "being inspired by" another case and "making it look EXACTLY the same" as another case.

There's a difference between "being inspired by" another case and "making it look EXACTLY the same" as another case.

This is something that should be pretty apparent by now if it wasnt already.

That is definitely an interesting choice of components.

It's not all here yet.

I still am waiting to get

MSI X99S

HGST 4TB 7200RPM

HyperX Fury 16GB 2133

2x 3TB WB Intellipower (Raid 0 configuration)

IT's a gaming an video editing rig, air cooling based. Parts chosen based on DXtory(+recording codecs), Sony Vegas, High Resolution displays, and MMORPGs.

Tell me how the cases are exactly the same ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Tell me how the cases are exactly the same ;)

He said look. Your not going to see the inside unless you open it up. And when displaying a product the case is going to sit with its side panel on.

This is about the ID of the product as in its outward design, not its function. The ID of a product is very important. It is the face of the company. Basically when you look at the product you know it's X brand. Great examples of this would be the stock cooler on the Nvidia cards or AiAiAi TMA-1 headphone line (great industrial design and audio quality BTW). Very few things up until now could be mistaken for a Fractal Define series case except for really a different on in the series. This is a good thing as is something that all companies want. Another thing to keep in mind is that when they create a new product it's still has to be recognizable as that brands product buy having the design elements they are known for even if they are updated/modified. This happens a ton in cars. Good examples would be the Porche 911 and the new Mazda MX5. Then if you look at a line of cars from a company you'll notice that in general look wise they will share a number of traits.

With this I hope you understand why the outward appearance of a product is so important.

So basically instead of Thermaltake trying to create their own they are stealing recognizable designs from other companies in hopes that they can build off of the marketing those companies have already done. I don't know why you would do this. I know I couldn't be proud of those products. Why wouldn't you want your own brand? I mean I can't see reasons but they are all money related and nothing else. Now if anything you've created a substantial negative start for your company.

He said look. Your not going to see the inside unless you open it up. And when displaying a product the case is going to sit with its side panel on.

This is about the ID of the product as in its outward design, not its function. The ID of a product is very important. It is the face of the company. Basically when you look at the product you know it's X brand. Great examples of this would be the stock cooler on the Nvidia cards or AiAiAi TMA-1 headphone line (great industrial design and audio quality BTW). Very few things up until now could be mistaken for a Fractal Define series case except for really a different on in the series. This is a good thing as is something that all companies want. Another thing to keep in mind is that when they create a new product it's still has to be recognizable as that brands product buy having the design elements they are known for even if they are updated/modified. This happens a ton in cars. Good examples would be the Porche 911 and the new Mazda MX5. Then if you look at a line of cars from a company you'll notice that in general look wise they will share a number of traits.

With this I hope you understand why the outward appearance of a product is so important.

Alright. So I get your point on why a case design is so important. But I hope you can tell me this, if design was so important. Why did Caselabs not do anything about securing the design? 

So basically instead of Thermaltake trying to create their own they are stealing recognizable designs from other companies in hopes that they can build off of the marketing those companies have already done. I don't know why you would do this. I know I couldn't be proud of those products. Why wouldn't you want your own brand? I mean I can't see reasons but they are all money related and nothing else. Now if anything you've created a substantial negative start for your company.

It's a stupid box.

Alright. So I get your point on why a case design is so important. But I hope you can tell me this, if design was so important. Why did Caselabs not do anything about securing the design?

I added more stuff there that plays into the bit below, sorry about the edit.

Only thing I can think of is its quite hard for a modular design like that. Also generally a a company would want their own ID for marketing purposes. So why would a reputable company do that? I don't know if something to this extent has happened before in the industry. I don't recall anything but you never know. Only time you've seen stuff in other electronics is like with Chinese knockoffs or possibly places like monoprice (who btw still has unique case designs). I mean maybe they want to be known as the cheaper copy company but as a major pc brand would you want that. Is it worth the little reputation you have to hopefully make you profitable again?

I kinda wonder how Thermaltake is going to market this miss matching line of copied products. It'll be hard to do what say corsair has done with the obsidian line starting with the 900D then 350D, 750D, 250D and 450D.

A great example of the same idea with a different design would be if you compare Nanoxia to Fractal. They differentiate enough from each other but both still base their brands on sleek and silent.

It's a stupid box.

Tell that to the man companies where that is their product hat they design, manufacture, market, and sell. When it's your stupid box it's quite important.

Just imagine where would Fractal be now if the somehow managed to botch the Define R5?

I added more stuff there that plays into the bit below, sorry about the edit.

Only thing I can think of is its quite hard for a modular design like that. Also generally a a company would want their own ID for marketing purposes. So why would a reputable company do that? I don't know if something to this extent has happened before in the industry. I don't recall anything but you never know. Only time you've seen stuff in other electronics is like with Chinese knockoffs or possibly places like monoprice (who btw still has unique case designs). I mean maybe they want to be known as the cheaper copy company but as a major pc brand would you want that. Is it worth the little reputation you have to hopefully make you profitable again?

I kinda wonder how Thermaltake is going to market this miss matching line of copied products. It'll be hard to do what say corsair has done with the obsidian line starting with the 900D then 350D, 750D, 250D and 450D.

A great example of the same idea with a different design would be if you compare Nanoxia to Fractal. They differentiate enough from each other but both still base their brands on sleek and silent.

Alright, so you talk about how reputation is important. But I also want to know why did the Kevin family post such petty and childish words on Facebook. Do they not care about their reputation?  

Alright, so you talk about how reputation is important. But I also want to know why did the Kevin family post such petty and childish words on Facebook. Do they not care about their reputation?

I don't condone what they did or how they did it just that they had the right to be at least a bit ticked off. They didn't handle it well to say the least. I guess at least all I can say now is they didn't handle it as bad as FrozenCPU [emoji14]

Heck I'm unhappy with what Thermaltake has done. Now maybe the larger companies will start patenting and trademarking stuff. It probably won't be good for the industry if that happens.

I don't condone what they did or how they did it just that they had the right to be at least a bit ticked off. They didn't handle it well to say the least. I guess at least all I can say now is they didn't handle it as bad as FrozenCPU [emoji14]

Heck I'm unhappy with what Thermaltake has done. Now maybe the larger companies will start patenting and trademarking stuff. It probably won't be good for the industry if that happens.

So its fine to attack another company and individuals under the name of your own company? 

And that's why you should register every product you make. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

So its fine to attack another company and individuals under the name of your own company?

Did you not read the first sentence? I don't condone what they did and how they handled it.

Also the last with the [emoji14] was a joke and is why I put the [emoji14] there.

The one this I said was reasonable was them being upset. I mean wouldn't you be if your ID was coppied? This doesn't mean that you should act out just because your upset, especially as your company.

Did you not read the first sentence? I don't condone what they did and how they handled it.

Also the last with the [emoji14] was a joke and is why I put the [emoji14] there.

The one this I said was reasonable was them being upset. I mean wouldn't you be if your ID was coppied? This doesn't mean that you should act out just because your upset, especially as your company.

Yea, I would. But more importantly be pissed at myself for not protecting my work. Also I wouldn't resort to facebook to ruin someone else's image using despicable means.

Now if you were the Keating family would you abuse the name of your company to get back at someone? Because quite frankly, Caselabs isn't just made up of the Keating family. 

Having never heard of MountainMods cases before, I went ahead and just looked them up right now. I can tell you that it damn well screams "This looks just like CaseLabs cases". So if CaseLabs can be "inspired" by MountainMods, I see no problem with TT doing the same.

Seriously, the TT case in question isn't even identical to the CaseLabs one. I'm looking at a comparison of the TT and CL cases right now (Merlin SM8 w/ Pedestal), and yes, they certainly are reminiscent of each other - but no more than a Fractal Design case is reminiscent of the old Silent Antec cases, or Samsung Galaxies being similar to iPhones.

It's not a copy. Straight up. A copy implies that they did not modify, change, tune, tweak, optimize, or otherwise change the design (even just looking at outward appearance) at all. Which is factually incorrect.

This is how tech works. Design, Inspiration, iteration.

They look similar yes. But a side by side comparison, in person, would easily tell them apart, to anyone who bothered to look at it objectively.

People are letting their emotions cloud their judgement, because they are fans of what CaseLabs does. Hell, I'm a fan too - high quality, customizable cases? Fuck yeah. But don't let your emotions and your bias towards liking CaseLabs as a company affect your objectivity here.

This is 100% standard, normal, industry practice. It's not unethical, and it's certainly not illegal.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Damn funny, and i was allway's thinking Caselabs ripped off mountainmods and made them look "sleeker"

And they are both overprized "made in the USA" cases.

Yeah yeah i do own a LittleDevil pc8 reverse (Slovenia ) :P

And one can buy them thermaltake all over the world without paying 70$ for shipping and 21% and %6 on the case prize at the customs.

All i need to say is that "CaseLabs Patent your product" because If you don't, companies like Thermaltake will continue and probably just take your designs from you.  

Really weird.. however like NCIX said.. only soo many ways to make a case. Especially one that is full size :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG9AB7XILAk

Netlinked daily covered this last night :P

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

Really weird.. however like NCIX said.. only soo many ways to make a case. Especially one that is full size :/

Netlinked daily covered this last night [emoji14]

All ill have to say in response is that we have not run out of ways to do it so there is no need to copy, especially to that extent.

Didn't they also copy a the Phantom case too this was announced after the fact if I recall though.

All ill have to say in response is that we have not run out of ways to do it so there is no need to copy, especially to that extent.

Didn't they also copy a the Phantom case too this was announced after the fact if I recall though.

Need? They didn't need to copy, they needed to make money. They saw an un-copyrighted design that's extremely popular (as far as people saying "I wish I could afford that" goes), and said "we can copy this, change it a bit, make it actually be affordable to most of the market" and did it. As Linus originally say, that's innovation. They took a good design, and made it affordable. Why Caselabs didn't do the same, or reach out to someone for a joint venture to do the same, is beyond me. Most of the consumer market can't afford a case that is equal to or greater than the cost of most builds minus the case.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You mean the Versa N21? 

pic1.jpg Phantom820angle.jpg

At this point everyone's just throwing whatever they can at ThermalTake, I can see why Caselabs wanted to apologise. The damage they have done is bigger than I have imagined. 

All these cases look like Alienware ones.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

small_aurora_angle25.jpg

You mean the Versa N21? 

pic1.jpg Phantom820angle.jpg

At this point everyone's just throwing whatever they can at ThermalTake, I can see why Caselabs wanted to apologise. The damage they have done is bigger than I have imagined. 

All these cases look like Alienware ones.

Spoiler

Why DOnt They Make Some Inverted Cases,Thats What I Want

A finite (original) number of ways nevertheless. We could put a different screw and call it a different case but let's not be those people.

The outside can be changed in an almost infinite number of ways. the inside would be harder.