If I have the budget to add a 80+ Platinum PSU, is it worth grabbing or just get the cheaper 80+ Gold?

LaboonTheWhale

So I am debating on with PSU to grab for my m-itx system. I can get a Platinum rated PSU like the Seasonic SS-860XP2 and such. Or grab a gold rated one like EVGA Supernova GS. 

I would just grab an EVGA G2/GS

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Unless you plan on running a 295X2, your only going to need a 650w 80+ Gold for an ITX build.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

tbh, the platinum certification would only be reasonable in limited circumstances. Just get the gold cert psu and save a couple bucks as long as u get a decent wattage for ur pc

- The $$ u save getting a gold psu, u can put the xtra $$ into upgrading something else in the system on the same budget

If you're spending $3000 then why not!

Any less I think saving a little money couldn't hurt :P

Gold rated is only 2-4% less efficient than Platinum, if I remember correctly. The EVGA psus are very high quality too. I like their G2 line with the fanless eco mode.

If you're spending $3000 then why not!

Any less I think saving a little money couldn't hurt :P

Gold rated is only 2-4% less efficient than Platinum, if I remember correctly. The EVGA psus are very high quality too. I like their G2 line with the fanless eco mode.

I was going to get a 980Ti but just to save some money I'm just reusing my 290 w/ a Corsair Hg10 so now that spare $500 can go to other things. which is why I was wondering if a Platinum is worth it. 

tbh, the platinum certification would only be reasonable in limited circumstances. Just get the gold cert psu and save a couple bucks as long as u get a decent wattage for ur pc

- The $$ u save getting a gold psu, u can put the xtra $$ into upgrading something else in the system on the same budget

That precisely is what I'm doing because I cut back on a GPU now I have extra money to upgrade elsewhere. I'm grabbing a 4790k, have a Maximus vii Impact, and 16 GB ram, and using my old 290. so now I'm just sitting here wondering what to do. 

That precisely is what I'm doing because I cut back on a GPU now I have extra money to upgrade elsewhere. I'm grabbing a 4790k, have a Maximus vii Impact, and 16 GB ram, and using my old 290. so now I'm just sitting here wondering what to do. 

Beast ITX system! Would be cool if you got a 5820k and the ASROCK board for those extra 2 cores. It's a pretty cheap upgrade to be honest. I personally think the 4790k is a waste of money nowadays with the 5820k so closely priced.

Just get the Gold PSU btw :P

Beast ITX system! Would be cool if you got a 5820k and the ASROCK board for those extra 2 cores. It's a pretty cheap upgrade to be honest. I personally think the 4790k is a waste of money nowadays with the 5820k so closely priced.

Just get the Gold PSU btw [emoji14]

I've already ordered my motherboard :/ I didn't know x99 went down to itx

So I am debating on with PSU to grab for my m-itx system. I can get a Platinum rated PSU like the Seasonic SS-860XP2 and such. Or grab a gold rated one like EVGA Supernova GS. 

Go for the gold. Unless you're running this thing 24/7 and are putting it under load constantly then you'll never notice much of a difference on your power bill.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I've already ordered my motherboard :/ I didn't know x99 went down to itx

There are no mini-itx X99 boards as far as I know. You can get matx though.

There are no mini-itx X99 boards as far as I know. You can get matx though.

Thought so. Didn't know if someone released something