VR Headset By Nvidia (Prototype)

noname7931

Nvidia prototypes its own VR headset that it going to be lighter then the Oculus Rift so that you can be able to play long with getting out tired. 

glasses-100048008-large.jpg

Remember it's just a very early prototype at the moment Nvidia.

By looking at the prototype I don't know if it will have the motion capture like the Rift. I don't know if you need to move your eye cause you might be able to see entire display with out moving your eyes. The display is hacked apart of a HMD (head-mounted display) for Sony's ECX332A OLED microdisplay. Hope full Nvidia creates a VR headset is competitive with the Oculus Rift

LINK: http://www.techhive.com/article/2045491/nvidia-prototypes-its-own-vr-headset-makes-personal-gaming-slightly-less-nerdy.html

So the are making one that gets you tired?

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

This is very interesting.  Being able to use your eyes to focus on objects rather than have it fixed in the scene.  For example if one was using the scope on a rifle, you can use your eye to focus on the scope or the distant object (not very useful in that case, but I'm only guessing it can add immersion to the already stereoscopic effect of separate displays per eye).

According to the video, the technology is the combination of the micro-lens array and a "custom fragment shader to re-sample rasterized views"... essentially rendering multiple blurred images of different parts of the scene according to the depth info (which is also used for stereoscopic 3D), and the lens will combine the "grid" images to the eye depending on how it's focusing. 

This doesn't seem quite right. If oculus rift could be smaller they would do so.

The likely problem with this are:

• the lens quality and complexity. Sticking with simple lens got the Oculus to market much quicker. 
  • and screen resolution: from the demo (4:31 in video), the images per lens is 9 times smaller than the original!!
  • extra processing required... lots!

The Oculus could be smaller... it's the problem with the screen size/resolution and cost involved.  Also, I still like the closed environment of the Oculus.  I think they just need to add a camera system in the front to overlay the outside world.  I imagine if they push this, it might also improve lens production for phones too haha.

One can still take the lens and retrofit a Oculus rift with it.  The lens cup/hole is big enough to house the size similar to what nvidia's prototype is using.  The lens on the Oculus feels a little "claustrophobic" at the moment and keeps touching my eye lashes haha.

and you can only use it with a (an?) nvidia gpu

That would be unfortunate if they are going to patent it since it's a technology pretty much anybody (with some resource) can make.

My Rigs (past and present)

I feel this will flop... The image is too small and my FOV is much larger than that image. So for a full VR experience I would need to get a Rift since I am rather certian that the FOV on those are larger than the FOV of a human eye. (sorry if I'm barely making sense I should go to sleep, its 4:24am)

I like this idea of VR better than the oculus rift simply because of the natural depth of field however I would like there to be an enclosed solution so all dark but the screen would have to take up the entire field of vision. If Nvidia could do that with an 8K display then VR would be complete.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I still think I'd rather have quality augmented reality versus whatever this is going to be.

The loss of spacial awareness is too much of a burden to enjoy the rift and probably this as well.

The nice thing about a monitor being a stationary display sitting a few feet away is I can look away at a moments notice and jump back and forth between reality and game immersion.

As for NVIDIA being the team behind this just makes me disappointed at the thought of them holding back development further by making yet another proprietary device that can't be equally used and developed for by everyone. No one likes closed source proprietary "innovations" Nvidia, get away from Apple's thought process.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I hope that Nvidia dosen't flop because then the Rift won't keep improving and becoming better, Competition is all ways good.