Is 50°c idle temp really high with water cooling?

I'm not doing much, but I have a feeling that 50° is relatively high.

I have an NZXT Kraken X61 with the radiator at the top of my case

BitFenix Spectre Pro PWM 140mm Case Fans BFF-SPRO-P14025KK-RP Black in push (pushing heat out of the case (pushing up out of the radiator))

4790k running at 4.8, 4.7, 4.6, 4.6ghz 1.3v adaptive mode

I cleaned the surface of the cpu and pump then added Artic Silver 5 thermal paste within the last 6 months

I should also mention that just about every component in my case is also hovering around 50c although there is ample air flow.

Is this normal operation? Am I not using the correct type of fan to push air through the rad? 

LTT Build Page

PCPartPicker

Pics below

89ded54405.png

ab38b9c5a3.png

I'm not doing much, but I have a feeling that 50° is relatively high.

If its 50 degrees celcius when idle then yes, my pc is air cooled and i hit around 56 under heavy load, so yes, idle with watercooling at 50 degrees is high.

A) Where is the temp being monitored from? (CPU diode, motherboard, liquid temps, etc)

B ) What is the ambient temp in the room?

C) Range of temp change under load?

If its 50 degrees celcius when idle then yes, my pc is air cooled and i hit around 56 under heavy load, so yes, idle with watercooling at 50 degrees is high.

How fix?

A) Where is the temp being monitored from? (CPU diode, motherboard, liquid temps, etc)

B ) What is the ambient temp in the room?

C) Range of temp change under load?

I provided images of cpu diode monitoring (realtemp) and liquid temps (NZXT Cam)

like 23.8c average (75f)

Load maxes out at 70-75c

Dust maybe?

It's possible that the cooler is not properly attached to the cpu.

It's also possible your pushing too much voltage trough the cpu.

I've followed some tutorials (mostly from LTT) and I used a cross-pattern for tightening the pump to the CPU

1.3v is as high as I will go and it's stable.

I've followed some tutorials (mostly from LTT) and I used a cross-pattern for tightening the pump to the CPU

1.3v is as high as I will go and it's stable.

Do it again just in case.

Maybe you put too much paste on the cpu?

1.3 is not that high so I doubt its that.

I provided images of cpu diode monitoring (realtemp) and liquid temps (NZXT Cam)

like 23.8c average (75f)

Load maxes out at 70-75c

Do you have a base line temp for this particular CPU on air? It could be that the temp diode is offset.

Do you have a base line temp for this particular CPU on air? It could be that the temp diode is offset.

I don't have a baseline for air, the last time it was on a air cooler was over a year ago. I think I'm just going to reseat it and use less thermal paste.

How fix?

Could be a number of things that are causing this, first id check that your computer is not filled with dust, whats the temps in your room, also check that you applied the right ammount of thermal compound.

If you have the old stock air cooler, I would put it on just to check and see what the idle temps are with it. Doesn't have to be the stock cooler, but maybe any other air cooler you have. If the air cooler is a bit lower at idle then you may need to look closer into cleaning and checking your thermal paste. Maybe even buy an after market thermal paste rather than the one that comes with the cpu block. 

Let us know how it goes :)

I have a i7 4770k, (which are quite similar, small changes) But i sit at around 28 C at idle.

Adobe Photoshop Graphic Artist and PC Building Enthusiast

Corsair 750D | I7 4770 | Aorus Waterblocked 1080ti | z97A Gaming 7 MSI | EVGA supernova 750 G2 Gold | 900P 280Gb 256GB 850PRO 128 GB 850 EVO| 32GB Corsair Vengeance (4x8GB) | Logitech g502 mouse | Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop |

If you have the old stock air cooler, I would put it on just to check and see what the idle temps are with it. Doesn't have to be the stock cooler, but maybe any other air cooler you have. If the air cooler is a bit lower at idle then you may need to look closer into cleaning and checking your thermal paste. Maybe even buy an after market thermal paste rather than the one that comes with the cpu block. 

Let us know how it goes :)

I have a i7 4770k, (which are quite similar, small changes) But i sit at around 28 C at idle.

I already use Arctic Silver 5

If your fan profile favours quiet/silence, then no not particularly. What are your load temperatures like? They're what are actually important.

After re-reading your original post, I realized that you have your fans bring your warm air from inside the PC through your rad to cool your water. swapping the fans (simply flip them around) to bring in fresh air from the room will most likely bring your temperatures down. Now be careful in making sure you continue to keep positive pressure in your case to keep dust out from the corners. Linus made a good video on this if you are interested. I hope this works :)

Also if your concerned about idle temps: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html this is a very good read to go through.

Just remember that overclocking a CPU does generate a LOT of heat. Know that idle temps can rise quite quickly when doing so.

Adobe Photoshop Graphic Artist and PC Building Enthusiast

Corsair 750D | I7 4770 | Aorus Waterblocked 1080ti | z97A Gaming 7 MSI | EVGA supernova 750 G2 Gold | 900P 280Gb 256GB 850PRO 128 GB 850 EVO| 32GB Corsair Vengeance (4x8GB) | Logitech g502 mouse | Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop |

I have an a 4690k cooled by an H110i. My temps Idles around 32-33C. It's not overclocked but mind you that my ambient temps are always at 30-31C(It's very hot in my country). I don't know if this helps but yeah just to give you an idea.  :)

CPU: Intel i5-4690K @ Stock | GPU: Zotac GTX 970 @ Stock | COOLER:Corsair H110i GT Stock fans | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97-X Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB GSKILL RIPJAWS X 1866mhz PSU: Silverstone 500W Strider Essential Series | CASE: NZXT S340 | CASE FANS: x1 120mm TT Riing red LED, x1 140mm TT Riing red LED MOUSE: Razer DeathAdder Chroma & Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Red Switches | HEADSET: Logitech G230 | SSD: ADATA 256GB SP900 HDD: 500GB WD Blue & 1TB WD Caviar Black OS: Windows 10 | DISPLAYS: ASUS VX239H and some shitty Samsung 720p

42°C for the liquid seems rather high, or is that just me?

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

As long as it's not dangerous, I think I'm just going to re-apply TP and dust 'n' stuff.

I had an air cooled CPU but strangely it idles at around 45-50 but it only crank up to nearly 60-65 or so. I think high idle temps are irrelevant unless it cranks up so drastically to unbarable temp when in full load...