NVIDIA shows off Hairworks 1.1

BiG StroOnZ

Well, not sure if you are just talking about just Geralts hair being ON in Hairworks, but that it is not possible when you run into a pack of wolves if you have Hairworks ON on "everything".

witcher-3-1600p1.png

dm9wqv.jpg

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-gtx980-ti-review/14/

I still think you don't understand what I'm saying: if the tech demo from 2010 isn't not even close to a reality in 2015, the current tech demo surely won't be one in the next generation of graphics cards. I'm also pretty sure you can run such tech demo even with a 680... so the 980 being there is just for the obvious reasons.

I'm not saying it's a bad tech, or a bad tech demo - I'm just saying: it's a tech demo and it won't be a reality in games for quite some time.

Did you even bother clicking on the Youtube video and going to the page its on? They also have a version with only 20k strands (instead of 500k shown in the HQ version), which is more than possible for GPUs to handle by 2016 (and it still looks great):

Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/38202-nvidia-shows-off-hairworks-1-1

This is pretty nice looking as far as realistic hair goes. I was impressed when Stress FX came out, I was also impressed with the first iteration of Hairworks. But this is on a completely different level compared to the previous two. This actually looks realistic. It also says it was ran on a GTX 980, so it cannot be that much more intensive compared to Hairworks 1.0. Which means probably by Pascal most NVIDIA GPUs will be able to run this without too much of a performance penalty.

Reminded me more of a '70s/'80s rockstar, if I'm honest. Like these guys.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Reminded me more of a '70s/'80s rockstar, if I'm honest. Like these guys.

Love it!

I also kinda thought of this.

Did you even bother clicking on the Youtube video and going to the page its on? They also have a version with only 20k strands (instead of 500k shown in the HQ version), which is more than possible for GPUs to handle by 2016 (and it still looks great):

That looks awesome, and the creator also had these notes there

- Heavy optimizations 

- added two more layers of hair

- improved attribute maps

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

that's a still scene with nothing more than hair I highly doubt they will pull this off without tanking the performance unless they make Hairworks dedicated co-processor, like they did with Physx

lol...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-gtx980-ti-review/14/

That bald spot on the top back is not very nice, but more worrisome is the major clipping of the hair through the head on the top left at about 0:35. I hope they fix that.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That bald spot on the top back is not very nice, but more worrisome is the major clipping of the hair through the head on the top left at about 0:35. I hope they fix that.

Clipping is always an issue. I can't wait for the day newtonian physics doesn't destroy performance utterly, and we can at least have non-clipping hair, body parts and clothing.

Current hairworks has some nice flow and movement in version 1.0 in Witcher 3, but I found the beard clips a hell of a lot, even the long hair would flow and curve around armour. The beard just doesn't care.  :huh: 

wNyaHMR.jpg

Clipping is always an issue. I can't wait for the day newtonian physics doesn't destroy performance utterly, and we can at least have non-clipping hair, body parts and clothing.

Current hairworks has some nice flow and movement in version 1.0 in Witcher 3, but I found the beard clips a hell of a lot, even the long hair would flow and curve around armour. The beard just doesn't care.  :huh:

Yeah I believe Lara Crofts pony tail clipped a little as well. The point is that the HairWorks demo clips through the head it is attached to. Not sure if that is an issue in Witcher 3, but I haven't seen it.

In comparison the old TressFX 2 demo does not suffer from head clipping:

Skip to about 1 minute.

Also beards doesn't give a shit. They're manly beards being awesome!

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Holy shit.

I want to see this in the upcoming FF7 remake.... that would be so fucking epic! xD

It would be awesome if there was a skyrim mod that added it, or at least something similar to skyrim too.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Yeah I believe Lara Crofts pony tail clipped a little as well. The point is that the HairWorks demo clips through the head it is attached to. Not sure if that is an issue in Witcher 3, but I haven't seen it.

Also beards doesn't give a shit. They're manly beards being awesome!

So far I've not noticed any hair clipping with hairworks, while there is some if you have hairworks disabled.

If you have long hair and a high collar or scarf the hair would curve inwards around it and your neck instead with the ponytail part( if you have one ) hanging over the back.

dJ2eeIw.jpg

Looking at the TressFX demo again, I can see why CDPR went with thicker greasier hair in the Witcher 3, as it seems to fit the era. The one time it looks very very funky is when the hair is wet. As I mentioned before though, I'm really looking forward to seeing TressFX 3.0 in action in upcoming games. Kinda miffed we have to wait even longer for Tomb Raider on PC  :(

So far I've not noticed any hair clipping with hairworks, while there is some if you have hairworks disabled.

If you have long hair and a high collar or scarf the hair would curve inwards around it and your neck instead with the ponytail part( if you have one ) hanging over the back.

Looking at the TressFX demo again, I can see why CDPR went with thicker greasier hair in the Witcher 3, as it seems to fit the era. The one time it looks very very funky is when the hair is wet. As I mentioned before though, I'm really looking forward to seeing TressFX 3.0 in action in upcoming games. Kinda miffed we have to wait even longer for Tomb Raider on PC  :(

That's very nice, the way the hair falls. Just like it should.

Thicker hair means fewer strands, which in return means less compute needed. You saw the same thing with Tomb Raider. That is why I said the HairWorks demo seems disingenuous, as no game dev will ever make a game with 500k strands on a single model, not even an entire animal.

This is a proper in game demo of Deus Ex Mankind Divided (SPOILERS)

You can see Jensen's "gelled up" hair and the girls hair. At 10:20 you can see a guy with black free flowing hair. That is what TressFX 3 will actually look in game, and this is on a PS4 at that.

You can see Jensen's "gelled up" hair and the girls hair. At 10:20 you can see a guy with black free flowing hair. That is what TressFX 3 will actually look in game, and this is on a PS4 at that.

Hmm his hair seems rather stiff to me there; same for the chap at 18:18. The hair seems to also change to TressFX once the in-game cut scene starts at 21:26 but still looks a bit rigid as well.

Although I no longer trust anything from the likes of E3, even if they Label it as Alpha or Beta as it always seems to get downgraded. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the game looks exactly like this so called Alpha footage when it's out.

Hmm his hair seems rather stiff to me there; same for the chap at 18:18. The hair seems to also change to TressFX once the in-game cut scene starts at 21:26 but still looks a bit rigid as well.

Although I no longer trust anything from the likes of E3, even if they Label it as Alpha or Beta as it always seems to get downgraded. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the game looks exactly like this so called Alpha footage when it's out.

Jensen's hair is very stiff because it's gelled up so to speak. I think the demo doesn't show it off properly on Rooker in the beginning, but remember it's a pre alpha. The game is 7-9 months away still, and it's running on a PS4, which is damn impressive none the less. The point is though that hair will not look much better than that anytime soon, as the performance penalty is just too great. 500k strands is a joke. I bet you won't even see 10k in an animal with fur, let alone a human head in years.

As for the HairWorks demo, hair is only that bouncy when it's long and permed. Without a perm, it's much less springy/bouncy, and has more weight too it. The comparison with the glam rock is spot on, as they used 7 cans of spray a day on that hair :lol:

Jensen's hair is very stiff because it's gelled up so to speak. I think the demo doesn't show it off properly on Rooker in the beginning, but remember it's a pre alpha. The game is 7-9 months away still, and it's running on a PS4, which is damn impressive none the less. 

I really doubt it was on the PS4, when has an "Alpha" or "beta" at E3 actually ran on consoles. We'll see when it's out tough, but for now I'll brace myself for another downgrade that looks and runs worse than the "Alpha" shown. :(

I also look forward to the Witcher 4 with Hairworks 2.0 and the Glamrock hair DLC. :D

So my thing with this is why can't we take shit like hairworks and lump it with physx and throw dedicated cards at it. (If we can cool I guess.) 3 way and above sli scaling is so terrible that I would gladdly throw my last card just at hairworks and physx to prevent the massive slowdowns that can happen when a craps load of hairworks enters the frame. (Also this should allow a hell of a lot more overall hairworks polygons, which could be applied to other similar type things in the future. Like say grass in the wind.)

I know that's only relevant for multi gpu setups but if I may claim so those are becoming more and more common.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

No one is feeling attacked or salty, although you saying the above and this.

That's what makes your comments so odd, it's actually you that seem salty and cynical about the progression of technology.

The Hairworks demo is extremely impressive, in game it doesn't HAVE to be exactly the same as the tech demo to give gamers and users the benefits. We can get those right now with 1.1 giving better performance over 1.0. Meaning more hair strands can be added if you want to have the same current performance loss, but you get better hair as a result.

Also everyone knows, absolutely nothing in a Tech demo has ever made in fully into a game within a year or two( sometimes more). 

We might not being able to get 500K strands of physics based hair now, but with the improvements we sure can get more than a low thousand at the moment without the same performance cost simply by updating to hairworks 1.1 from 1.0 in current games.

One thing I find odd is I never see similar comments on AMD or Intel tech demos. Certainly no one calling them disingenuous for showing what their products can render.

I'm not going to waste time on saltyness - I'm sorry, I'll just post my first reply again and you can take what ever information from it:

A single 980 doing nothing but rendering hair on a model.

In a actual game scenario I think we're far away from this result. I mean look at where they were in 2010:

I don't get what is wrong with this community and brand loving.

That looks so fabulous!  :wub:

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"

Holy shit.

I want to see this in the upcoming FF7 remake.... that would be so fucking epic! xD

It would be awesome if there was a skyrim mod that added it, or at least something similar to skyrim too.

There is a mod for this for skyrim using havoc physics. It is/was on the nexus. Just search for "Havoc" or "HBT" i think it was called

witcher-3-1600p1.png

You claimed that it runs at 56-58FPS in max settings with hairworks at 1600P with single 980ti? Sure its possible in some situations, but when you run into a pack of wolves as I mentioned, those FPS are non existent, I've seen it, it cripples the performance for any single GPU out there down to the very low 30s.

A lot of reviewers use the cut scenes to benchmark some of the GPU in Witcher 3, and I bet it is like one of those scenes where encounter a griffin for the first time where you save the vendor. 

Here is real gameplay at 1440P with max settings and a 980Ti at 1400+mhz. Frames are around steady 48-52 FPS, and that is not even going up against a pack of wolves, which are around 6 at times or more even in my gameplay.

Show me FleX and OptiX already. Hair tech is far too situational to be a point of focus in my opinion.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling