980 / 980 TI / Fury (X) at 4K

Schakal_No1

Hi,

is there someone using a single gtx 980 / 980 TI / Fury (X) with a non-Gsync 4K display?

I've seen the benchmarks and know that there is no single GPU capable of driving a 4k Display at 60Hz with highest settings on AAA games.

But how low do you have to dial it down to get "acceptable" framerates? I know that this is very individual so I hope that there will be more than one answer :)

PS: I know that I could buy a GSync Display or turn down the resolution to 1440p but this is not the discussion of this thread.

benches seem to point towards ~medium-high to get good frames

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

benches seem to point towards ~medium-high to get good frames

can you link me to any benchmarks on that topic? I can only find the ones using highest settings and then you get like 20-35 fps which I personally would consider "unplayable"

can you link me to any benchmarks on that topic? I can only find the ones using highest settings and then you get like 20-35 fps which I personally would consider "unplayable"

By experience, thigs like BF4 and metro raise the fps by quite a bit by lowering settings a bit ( my 290 could get 120+fps at high, whereas ultra got me ~90 )

But if you don't want to change resolution, and want good settings, 2 gpu's would be ideal.

but at 4k, even my 750ti could push games at lowest settings

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Your choices are the following, rated by performance, best to worst

100% AMD R9 295x2 (can crap out and run only half the card, usually doesnt)

85% GTX 980 Ti

77% AMD R9 FuryX

55% GTX 980

In general, that is how the cards are in relation to eachother.....

I have a 980ti with a 4k Samsung display and I can get 60-70 fps with AA off. The card runs so hot and at 80% fan speed it stays at 70c but my 980ti can game at 60-70 fps just for BF4 and BFH. Still trying out all my games to see how my 980ti reacts to 4k. So far so good. Display is a 28" Samsung u28d590d. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-0007-00009

CPU - i5 4690k @ 4.0Ghz | MOBO - MSI Z97 Gaming 3 (MS-7918) | RAM - 16GB Patriot Memorys Viper 3 @1866MHz | GPU - MSI Reference GTX 980 TI

Case-Corsair Graphite Series 230T Mid-Tower | HDD - Western Digital Black 1TB (Will get a SDD later) | PSU - Corsair RM 850 Gold | Display-28" 4K Samsung U28D590D & BenQ RL2455HM|Cooling-CPU= Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX & GPU= Corsair Hydro Series H50 120mm|Keyboard/Mouse-Corsair K95/Corsair M65 | OS - Windows 8.1

5960X with MSI 980 Ti Gaming. @4k ultra settings. My own testing. Most are in game bench test,other with fraps.

Theif 42 avg FPS

Metro Last Light 37.67 avg FPS

Shadow Of Mordor 43 avg FPS

Tomb Raider 46.4 avg FPS

Batman Arkham Origins 33 avg FPS

Bioshock Infinite 82.85 avg FPS

Hitman Absolution 25.01 avg FPS

Witcher 3 34.86 avg FPS (Ultra settings no hairworks)

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/5180047/fs/5179803

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/5343391/fs/5343294

CM Storm Trooper| Asua Maximum VII Formula| 4770k H100i|Kingston Beast 32GB|Samsung Evo 250GB SSD|Seagate 3TB|EVGA Kingpin Edition 780 Ti(SLI)|Sound Blaster Z|Corsair 1200i

Samsung U28D590D | Corsair K70 | Razer Naga Hex | Kingston Hyper X Gaming Headset

I get the following with my 980ti oc to 1250Mhz and turbos to 1530Mhz

battlefield 4 and hardline at 4k ultra no AA i get 75fps

GTA V all ultra no AA and no advanced graphics i get 65fps

Killing floor 2 all ultra i get 60fps ( i believe its cappped)

4k ultra is easily achievable with a single 980ti , just dont use AA, and in some games just lowering shadows a little has a huge impact.

Even on arma 3 a notoriously gpu and cpu intensive game i can get 50-60fps at 4k ultra, just with clouds lowered, shadows on medium and terrain detail on high in stead of ultra. again no AA 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I don't see the need for AA @ 4K. I turned on AA just to see the difference but I can't. But to Badger906's point, you can game at 4k just lower the settings a bit or turn off AA. Keep in mind the amount of heat the card puts out. I have a MSI reference 980ti and boy is it hot where my pc is at.

CPU - i5 4690k @ 4.0Ghz | MOBO - MSI Z97 Gaming 3 (MS-7918) | RAM - 16GB Patriot Memorys Viper 3 @1866MHz | GPU - MSI Reference GTX 980 TI

Case-Corsair Graphite Series 230T Mid-Tower | HDD - Western Digital Black 1TB (Will get a SDD later) | PSU - Corsair RM 850 Gold | Display-28" 4K Samsung U28D590D & BenQ RL2455HM|Cooling-CPU= Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX & GPU= Corsair Hydro Series H50 120mm|Keyboard/Mouse-Corsair K95/Corsair M65 | OS - Windows 8.1

Hi,

is there someone using a single gtx 980 / 980 TI / Fury (X) with a non-Gsync 4K display?

I've seen the benchmarks and know that there is no single GPU capable of driving a 4k Display at 60Hz with highest settings on AAA games.

But how low do you have to dial it down to get "acceptable" framerates? I know that this is very individual so I hope that there will be more than one answer :)

PS: I know that I could buy a GSync Display or turn down the resolution to 1440p but this is not the discussion of this thread.

not sure if this works for you

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2947547/components-graphics/amd-radeon-fury-crossfire-review-2-fast-2-furious.html

i read it this morning and prompted me to go back here on LTT forums