Samsung 850 Pro 512GB or Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

Metro

Why so many SSDs? I would be fine with one 1TB SSD.

Well I want one NVMe SSD, the Samsung 850 Pro 1TB had £100 off today so I got it, there is another discount on the 850 EVO 1TB later, so I might get that one, which means both the 850 Pro 512GB will be the same price as the 850 EVO 1TB, so I am not sure

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Well I want one NVMe SSD, the Samsung 850 Pro 1TB had £100 off today so I got it, there is another discount on the 850 EVO 1TB later, so I might get that one, which means both the 850 Pro 512GB will be the same price as the 850 EVO 1TB, so I am not sure

But you need 2TB of SSD storage on top of the blazing fast 400GB you already have? You must have a lot of... stuff. Etiher way I'd go for the 1TB Evo.

The difference between the 850 Evo and Pro is the type of flash they are using. But the performance is very close to one another. Though, what is nice with the Pro version is that they have a longer warranty (10 years), than the Evo models.

For most people, I'd honestly say that the Evo is the better buy. As the Pro version is generally not worth the extra money.

Intel's 750 series SSD's are also a viable choice (if you have a Z97/X99 system) for their crazy high performance that you get out form them.

But in even 5 years a current 1TB SSDs will not only be obsolete but really cheap too so the extra 5 year warranty is somewhat meaningless likewise the drive will be archaic by the time you use up the EVOs writes and the PRO only has about half the power consumption because it has half the flash but twice bugger all is still bugger all ;) (a couple of watts). Basically there is no practical benefit to a PRO for the average person.

@Metro A SSD will have little affect on games beyond loading times (mostly sequential reads) because all the game assets are loaded into system and video memory, if you are hitting your SSD in a game performance is going to tank even if its the fastest SSD available.

A negative power consumption through its "writes" WILL affect computers with low wattage/amperage batteries/chargers, therefore increasing battery life, while for example, copying file on the go.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

A negative power consumption through its "writes" WILL affect computers with low wattage/amperage batteries/chargers, therefore increasing battery life, while for example, copying file on the go.

OK I assumed he was talking about a desktop but even so the 1W (or was it 0.5W?) peak difference, with usually tens of mW on average over time, on a gaming (or even non-gaming) laptops isn't going to have a noticeable impact on battery life, of course if he went for the 500GB EVO (matching the PRO size) the power consumption difference goes away, in fact the EVO uses even less. Even on todays PCPer stream Allyn Malventano (he knows his storage) said he wouldn't recommend a PRO over an EVO.

I would only get a PRO if you found it for the same price as an EVO with the same volume or if you were using it in a professional setup where the drives are getting constantly hammered and were effectively part of your revenue workflow (hence the PRO moniker).

OK I assumed he was talking about a desktop but even so the 1W (or was it 0.5W?) peak difference, with usually tens of mW on average over time, on a gaming (or even non-gaming) laptop isn't going to have a noticeable impact on battery life, of course if he went for the 500GB EVO (matching the PRO size) the power consumption difference goes away, in fact the EVO uses even less. Even on todays PCPer stream Allyn Malventano (he knows his storage) said he wouldn't recommend a PRO over an EVO.

I would only get a PRO if you found it for the same price as an EVO with the same volume or if you were using it in a professional setup where the drives are getting constantly hammered and were effectively part of your revenue workflow (hence the PRO moniker).

You have your point there, however, if I was using such a device for gaming, I wouldn't mind the amperage of which an EVO sucks, (let alone a GTX 970/980M Chip), however, if it was for example, in an mSATA form factor, in an ultrabook, it may make a minute difference (I'd say around +-20 minutes life if copying).

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D