Windows 10 will not be pre-installed on new PCs at launch. Now says there will be--

jos

Day 1 patch, anyone?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Day 1 patch, anyone?

that's a fact, the thing is how big it will be, MS will release patches as soon as they are ready, i expect daily tiny updates tilt the end of times now instead of waiting for patch tuesday 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

that's a fact, the thing is how big it will be, MS will release patches as soon as they are ready, i expect daily tiny updates tilt the end of times now instead of waiting for patch tuesday 

I'm just hoping Microsoft will move more and more towards updates that don't require a reboot. I understand that sometimes it's unavoidable, but only major kernel updates should require a reboot.

A full kernel redesign might be required for that.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Frankly, people look at the start menu, and think "Derp, it's just Windows 7 again!".

Hardly anyone around here seems to look at the backend improvements.

I'll just say this: File Transfer in Windows 8/8.1 was worth upgrading from Windows 7 alone, and Windows 10 improves it even further.

Don't forget about the Task Manager. I mean it was the only thing I found 8.1 worthy for xD

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I'm just hoping Microsoft will move more and more towards updates that don't require a reboot. I understand that sometimes it's unavoidable, but only major kernel updates should require a reboot.

A full kernel redesign might be required for that.

Well the problem is that if the file is in used (which often is the case, by Windows or a program), then what do you do?

This is where things gets tricky. But since XP, Microsoft did massive progress on that front.

What I wish Microsoft had is an update pack. Say you re-install Windows 8.0 now, and you want to upgrade to 8.1 fully updated. Soooo many updates. It is incredible.

And that is just Windows 8. Windows 7 is worse, and of course, older the OS the worst it gets as it has more updates. It is a good thing there is Service Packs which definitely helps a lot, but still.

Well the problem is that if the file is in used (which often is the case, by Windows or a program), then what do you do?

This is where things gets tricky. But since XP, Microsoft did massive progress on that front.

What I wish Microsoft had is an update pack. Say you re-install Windows 8.0 now, and you want to upgrade to 8.1 fully updated. Soooo many updates. It is incredible.

And that is just Windows 8. Windows 7 is worse, and of course, older the OS the worst it gets as it has more updates. It is a good thing there is Service Packs which definitely helps a lot, but still.

I'll second this. We use Windows 7 Pro exclusively at work (Will be migrating to 10), and every time I have to do a reinstall, it takes at least 2-4 hours for updates alone.

AND we even have a true synchronous Fibre (100/100) connection. Microsoft's Windows Update servers are slow as balls.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'll second this. We use Windows 7 Pro exclusively at work (Will be migrating to 10), and every time I have to do a reinstall, it takes at least 2-4 hours for updates alone.

AND we even have a true synchronous Fibre (100/100) connection. Microsoft's Windows Update servers are slow as balls.

Ah yes, it doesn't help that old Windows are moved to slower servers. Only the currently released Windows get fast downloads of updates.

Why not just do it once on a computer, installing all updates, then create an image of that one and redeploy that single image across the rest of the PCs?

That method really only falls apart if all your PCs are using vast array of different hardware in each.

Although, I forget the name of the software there is one disk cloning software that when deploying the image allows you to rip out all drivers from the image so it can be deployed to any PC regardless of hardware inside.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Why not just do it once on a computer, installing all updates, then create an image of that one and redeploy that single image across the rest of the PCs?

That method really only falls apart if all your PCs are using vast array of different hardware in each.

Although, I forget the name of the software there is one disk cloning software that when deploying the image allows you to rip out all drivers from the image so it can be deployed to any PC regardless of hardware inside.

Ideally that would be the best idea, but we're really tight on HDD space right now. Our main server has like 58GB of free space left :rolleyes:

Fortunately, we're upgrading all of our servers this fall :D

There's a lot more to it than that...

• Overhauled Start menu
  • The Action Center/notification center
  • Cortana (If you are concerned about privacy, there are lots of options for enabling/disabling things Cortana can/cannot do, what she does and doesn't have access to, etc.)
  • Continuum (Modifies the UI for tablet or desktop usage depending on device type and input method being used.)
  • UI for switching tasks (Alt-Tab) is significantly improved
  • Aero Snap functionality hugely improved
  • New Microsoft Edge browser
  • Universal Apps (This is more relevant if you have multiple Windows-based devices, including PC, Phone, Xbox, HoloLens, etc.)
  • Windows Hello (Automatically login/lock PC by face detection, requires special webcam hardware.)
  • DirectX12
  • Multiple virtual desktops
  • All stock apps are completely overhauled (Store, Photos, Weather, News, Groove Music, Movies & TV, Settings, Mail & Calendar, Calculator, Alarm & Clock, and many more)
  • Xbox app, will bring a bunch of Xbox platform features to Windows 10 including bringing some Xbox games to Windows 10 and allowing cross-platform play, etc. Xbox app can also act as a Game DVR/take screenshots. It will also allow the Xbox One-to-PC game streaming. They are also reportedly working on PC-to-Xbox One streaming. The Xbox games on Windows 10 confirmed so far are Fable Legends, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Gigantic, and Killer Instinct. Doom (2016 release) is also coming to Xbox One and Windows 10. Also, all the Xbox 360 games that will be playable via backwards compatibility can also be stream to Windows 10 PCs
  • File Explorer is improved as well with new functionality
  • Login screen UI is updated
  • Plenty of UI refinements all over the place, everything looks a lot nicer and more pleasing now
  • Phone Companion app that works not only with Windows phones but also iPhones and Android phones
  • Command Prompt has been improved after all these years as well with a more scale-able GUI and new features like being able to paste using Ctrl+V, among other things (These improvements also apply to PowerShell): http://arstechnica.c...e-21st-century/
  • Windows Update in Windows 10 supports peer-to-peer downloading on the same local network. So if you have 2 or more PCs then 1 PC downloads the Windows updates from the internet, then all other PC download the updates from the first PC so it will be faster for the other PCs and save on your internet bandwidth cap if you have one.
  • Better high-resolution screen support. Windows 10 supports up to 8K displays and will have better UI scaling overall.

I don't get this comparison of Windows 10 to Windows 7 just because of the Start menu. And that list above doesn't even include everything.

I know, but functionally it's identical to 7. Yes visually it is different.

Some of these differences I like, some I don't or wished that they'd be an option. 

DX12 will probably be for me the only that makes W10 worth it. 

I suppose my biggest gripe only problem with 10 is the placement of the search bar and the complete removal of the charms bar. 

There might be a way to get the search in the start menu and maybe even getting the charms bar back in the future but as it stands, 8.1 is more tolerable.

Then again this is coming from someone would rather use Linux (Ubuntu or Fedora or Elementary).

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

As far as I'm concerned Directx 12 is the main reason for me to upgrade. That and the fact that it's free. If I had to pay the normal upgrade cost and there were no Directx 12 I wouldn't bother, just as I didn't bother upgrading to 8.1

I find this build very nice. Plenty of further feature and stability improvements from Windows 7, from personal VM testing.

I am however puzzled at how my laptop had never gotten the Windows 10 upgrade offer up to now. Did I overlook something from the prerequisites checklist?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.