Cheap whole system cooling - 500$ to 1200$

Go to solution Solved by Ryoku,

Thank you everyone who has responded so far, as I wrote I will be upgrading to a 980ti or higher in the coming year or two, so that should be kept in mind, though if things happen and I have to use 970's for that period, I will buy a second.

Hello, I am presenting the question because I might be going to a fully water cooled system in the coming year or 2 and am looking at options to make this work for a good price, this is also to help anyone else out in a situation like this where they might be upgrading or are upgrading currently.

The budget for this would be 500$ for the low end, 800$ for the high end, and 1200$ for the dream high end. This thread can mainly be discussion but things like PcPartPicker being used would be awesome, to give some examples of what users on this thread might mean.

The parts involved, aside from the water cooling would be, a Noctis 450 (my own case), GTX 970, or 980Ti.

The loop has to cool the cpu, cool the gpu and dissipate the heat, please keep in mind I am not an experienced user with water cooling and so I don't know if anything I am saying is odd sounding or wrong.

For a starter water cooling kit, Just get a good cpu block, gpu block, double/triple rad (or whatever you can fit), some regular water cooling tube, regular barb fittings, and a good pump/res.  Keep it simple you can always upgrade down the road if you want to.  you can probably get all that for $400-500 USD.

For water blocks EKWB is always a good choice.  Rads EKWB, Alphacool, Darkside are good,  Pump D5 is amazing.

Hello, I am presenting the question because I might be going to a fully water cooled system in the coming year or 2 and am looking at options to make this work for a good price, this is also to help anyone else out in a situation like this where they might be upgrading or are upgrading currently.

The budget for this would be 500$ for the low end, 800$ for the high end, and 1200$ for the dream high end. This thread can mainly be discussion but things like PcPartPicker being used would be awesome, to give some examples of what users on this thread might mean.

The parts involved, aside from the water cooling would be, a Noctis 450 (my own case), GTX 970, or 980Ti.

The loop has to cool the cpu, cool the gpu and dissipate the heat, please keep in mind I am not an experienced user with water cooling and so I don't know if anything I am saying is odd sounding or wrong.

WIP Build (Maul):

| CPU: R5 3600 | AIO: Stock GPU: Undecided (Vega 56 prob) MB: B450M RAM: 32gb 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz | PSU: Undecided HDD 1TB m.2 SSD | Case: Inwin 301 | $800-1000 PCPartpicker

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

| CPU: FX 8350 | AIO: h100i GPU: G1 GTX 970 MB: 990FXA-UD3 RAM: 8gb Vengence LP 1600mhz | PSU: EVGA 500B HDD 1TB x2 & 120GB Kingson SSD | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 |

Idle: 11-17c, Browsing: 13 - 23c, Load: 22 - 39c | Fedora & Arch Linux | $1,053 PCPartpicker

2 things.

Get a beefier pc before you wc it.

Part prices can change amlot in 2 years, maybe your GPU/CPU block going out of production.

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

970 in SLI is more then enough for 1440p 100Hz+, so there is a point to it.

But each there own.

He said ONE 970.

He said ONE 970.

I was just pointng out that its not pointless to water cool the 970, as it is still a good card. More then enough for 1080p and somewhat decent at 1440p.

Besides, with so many people upgrading to 980Ti so can you probally get a 2nd one for cheap.

If I was building a custom loop and had a 970, so would I water cool it. Even if for nothing else, to keep the whole pc at the same low temprature.

I was just pointng out that its not pointless to water cool the 970, as it is still a good card. More then enough for 1080p and somewhat decent at 1440p.

Besides, with so many people upgrading to 980Ti so can you probally get a 2nd one for cheap.

If I was building a custom loop and had a 970, so would I water cool it. Even if for nothing else, to keep the whole pc at the same low temprature.

What I was saying is that It wouldn't be very smart. If you're gonna water cool, you should have a beefier PC. Pretty the 970 is gonna go obsolete and he's gonna have an $100 water block he has no use for.

-SNIP-

At around $500 you can get a pretty decent loop and of course go balls to the walls if you really want to and blow the budge out of the water. I would probably suggest if you want to do this in the future though with future hardware since things caan change very quickly and waterblocks for your GPU will become obsolete at that point.

What I was saying is that It wouldn't be very smart. If you're gonna water cool, you should have a beefier PC. Pretty the 970 is gonna go obsolete and he's gonna have an $100 water block he has no use for.

A 970 is great watercooled currently I wouldn't recommend doing it 2 years down the line but I can get boost clocks to 1600Mhz on my card with the extra cooling.

At around $500 you can get a pretty decent loop and of course go balls to the walls if you really want to and blow the budge out of the water. I would probably suggest if you want to do this in the future though with future hardware since things caan change very quickly and waterblocks for your GPU will become obsolete at that point.

A 970 is great watercooled currently I wouldn't recommend doing it 2 years down the line but I can get boost clocks to 1600Mhz on my card with the extra cooling.

Thank you everyone who has responded so far, as I wrote I will be upgrading to a 980ti or higher in the coming year or two, so that should be kept in mind, though if things happen and I have to use 970's for that period, I will buy a second.

WIP Build (Maul):

| CPU: R5 3600 | AIO: Stock GPU: Undecided (Vega 56 prob) MB: B450M RAM: 32gb 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz | PSU: Undecided HDD 1TB m.2 SSD | Case: Inwin 301 | $800-1000 PCPartpicker

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

| CPU: FX 8350 | AIO: h100i GPU: G1 GTX 970 MB: 990FXA-UD3 RAM: 8gb Vengence LP 1600mhz | PSU: EVGA 500B HDD 1TB x2 & 120GB Kingson SSD | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 |

Idle: 11-17c, Browsing: 13 - 23c, Load: 22 - 39c | Fedora & Arch Linux | $1,053 PCPartpicker

For a starter water cooling kit, Just get a good cpu block, gpu block, double/triple rad (or whatever you can fit), some regular water cooling tube, regular barb fittings, and a good pump/res.  Keep it simple you can always upgrade down the road if you want to.  you can probably get all that for $400-500 USD.

For water blocks EKWB is always a good choice.  Rads EKWB, Alphacool, Darkside are good,  Pump D5 is amazing.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Try to get the variable speed d5... so its not so loud.

Water cooling can cost up to 1200? damn O_O

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

Thanks!

WIP Build (Maul):

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

Fittings alone would be close to half of that budget if you went all out with everything watercooled and pimped out.

Yeah, that is why I am staying with good old All in one solutions ;)