Number display on my motherboard? What is this?

Go to solution Solved by MaxTheMonster,

This displays what the motherboard is doing now. There should be a chart in your motherboard manual of what each number does, this is there so that you can diagnose errors better.

I have the z97 msi gaming 5 and there is a "number display" there, it changes number all the time, but i usually just stand at around 30, but it also spikes to 50 when im in fullscreen and stuff.

What is this?

•  CPU Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.0GHz •  Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5  •  RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 

•  GPU MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti •  Case Corsair 750D •  Storage Hyperx Savage 240GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB •  

•  PSU EVGA 750W 80+ Gold •  Cooling Corsair H100i GTX • 

This displays what the motherboard is doing now. There should be a chart in your motherboard manual of what each number does, this is there so that you can diagnose errors better.

amnerd  B) Linux enthusiast. 

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

It essentially displays the status of the board. If it's running fine, there's no need for it, but when you can't boot, checking the number displayed with your motherboard manual will give you an idea of what went wrong. 

its a debug code

each number means its doing something

if something is wrong you can use the number to find what the problem is

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It just shows what your motherboard is up to, it's to help diagnose problems, and 50's can be fine dw, mine is in the 50's right now too aha

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

I have the z97 msi gaming 5 and there is a "number display" there, it changes number all the time, but i usually just stand at around 30, but it also spikes to 50 when im in fullscreen and stuff.

What is this?

That's it displaying the CPU temperature assuming that you are in the desktop environment. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III