PSU watt question

Chiobe

Please skip any overkill and money spending questions and remarks

I currently have a Cooler Master V1000, but that wont be big enough when I finish my build.

The question is, do I get a 2nd PSU or do I try a single big one (if there is one big enough)?

Hardware list:

Asus Rampage V Extreme

i7-5930K overclocked (4,4GHz at 1,275v).

3 way Gigabyte 980 Ti overclocked (dont know how far they will clock yet).

39 EK-Vardar F4-120ER fans (2.16 watt?)

2 EK D5 pumps.

10 HDD

2 SSD

1 m.2 SSD

1 PCIe SSD

6 usb units

If a 2nd PSU fits in your case, then sure, get a second one.

I would get a larger one. Each 980ti can take up to 250w, so thats most of the power right there. The CPU can take around 150w, leaving you with just 100w for everything else. Its possible that that PSU may work, but I would stay on the safe, quite side and get a 1500w one.

Get a larger one, a 1200w PSU would be great for your build and the EVGA Supernova one is a great choice.

amnerd  B) Linux enthusiast. 

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

Tbh, 1000W May just about be enough, the 980Ti's are very power efficient, although I guess it will come down to your overclocks, to be the on safe side I'd advise just getting a new 1200W or 1500W PSU

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

I currently have a Cooler Master V1000, but that wont be big enough when I finish my build.

The question is, do I get a 2nd PSU or do I try a single big one (if there is one big enough)?

A larger one. Only few cases fit two PSUs and even then redundancy is meh.

There's plenty of good options out there for a very big PSU. 1300G2 should be enough for you 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g21300xr

If you really want to give yourself a lot of headroom, then there's 1600W G2 model as well as the LEPA G-1600

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-120g21600x1

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lepa-power-supply-g1600ma

(Between these two I'd save the $40 and go for the LEPA)

"Rawr XD"

Imo, it's better to maybe sell this one and use a single more powerful psu. I recently worked with a seasonic x-1250 psu, maybe this one will fit your needs.

Please skip any overkill and money spending questions and remarks

Hardware list:

Asus Rampage V Extreme

i7-5930K overclocked (4,4GHz at 1,275v).

3 way Gigabyte 980 Ti overclocked (dont know how far they will clock yet).

39 EK-Vardar F4-120ER fans (2.16 watt?)

2 EK D5 pumps.

10 HDD

2 SSD

1 m.2 SSD

1 PCIe SSD

6 usb units

Id get a 1500w, just to be on the safe side

You will have 2 power cables to deal with, and if one fails but the other doesn't and still supply's voltage to the board you may be risking it, when running a dual PSU it would probably be best to use the larger to power the system and the smaller to power some fans, your loop, any led's or anything else the isn't super detrimental to the expensive components such as hard drives and ssd's.. (at least in my mind this is just my opinion)

Seen as your entire build seems ridiculously overkill you might as well get yourself a overkill psu so something 1600 or 1500 watt.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

You will have 2 power cables to deal with, and if one fails but the other doesn't and still supply's voltage to the board you may be risking it, when running a dual PSU it would probably be best to use the larger to power the system and the smaller to power some fans, your loop, any led's or anything else the isn't super detrimental to the expensive components such as hard drives and ssd's.. (at least in my mind this is just my opinion)

I plan on linking them with this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/add2psu-power-supply-delay-adapter.html#Details (dont need the delay, but it was the only black one)

That way so should they turn on and off at the same time.

A larger one. Only few cases fit two PSUs and even then redundancy is meh.

I got a Caselabs case for this build, so I can fit two PSUs.

Hence my question.

So it seems I can ether get a 750 watt PSU and link it together with the one I have (will have to offload a GPU on it, do to motherboard with m.2 SSD and PCI SSD draws power from the first one).

or

Get a big one, like http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/superflower-leadex-platinum-8-pack-edition-2000w-review/ , which got powers to spare for future builds.

So it seems I can ether get a 750 watt PSU and link it together with the one I have (will have to offload a GPU on it, do to motherboard with m.2 SSD and PCI SSD draws power from the first one).

or

Get a big one, like http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/superflower-leadex-platinum-8-pack-edition-2000w-review/ , which got powers to spare for future builds.

You'll never need 2000W... something like the G1600 is more then enough

"Rawr XD"