Is my hard drive dying?

My computer has been having issues lately. Slow transfer speeds between drives, or locks up all together during transfer. With smaller files there really isn’t a problem but when moving a gig or more this can really make it struggle.

The hard drive in question is a WD 400GB SATA drive that was made in 2008 I believe. I used HD tune to test the drive and this is what it came up with.

post-130-0-89497300-1375068550.png

Other drive I have in system that's about the same age.

post-130-0-41663700-1375068578.png

Can anyone shed some light on what possibly is going on?

Side Note: These two drives are in raid 0 together so if the one is dying then I'm guessing there will be an even bigger problem if it completely stops working.

My Build - Cpu: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.0Ghz Case: Phanteks Evolv ITX | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI ImpactRam: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Video Card: EVGA GTX 760 | Power Supply: Corsair AX760 | Monitors: Dell P2210 | Keyboard: Logitech k270 | Mouse: Logitech M185

The spindle or arm(s) could be dying, which is causing the slowdowns.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Get a new drive and or 2 and transfer the data ASAP.  Dont want to loose everything if it goes.  and maybe get an SSD instead, 50% less can go wrong and you get more speed. 

I've heard that when less space is available on the HDD, the transfer of files starts to become slower, like moving files to your HDD and transferring files from your HDD to other storage devices. I believe its true because i use to work at a computer repair shop and i had to have the company's software on my external HDD, after reformatting the drive and adding the files, it felt wayyy less slower than before, reading and writing files and were back to normal.

"You are who you choose to be.....Choose"

See my Profile for my 

Yep that fluctuation of transfer speeds is a sign of it failing. I would back up your stuff ASAP. Check your health (S.M.A.R.T stats) and see how the health status is. After you finish backing up your data, I would run an error scan on it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Here's a little bit more info about my setup that may be helpful. The Raid array that I have is only used for programs installed on the computer and downloads. The 2TB drive is where all my files go, which are then backed up to an external 2TB drive every night. So I'm not worried about losing files but more of the inconvenience of the whole thing.

post-130-0-07397500-1375109462.jpg

Health Test Looks Good.

post-130-0-05404600-1375109474.jpg

Error Scan Looks Good.

post-130-0-43247400-1375109479.jpg

This is what is confusing me, Health and Error tests come back clean but the benchmark shows that there is a problem. Shouldn't the Health and Benchmark agree at least?

My Build - Cpu: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.0Ghz Case: Phanteks Evolv ITX | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI ImpactRam: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Video Card: EVGA GTX 760 | Power Supply: Corsair AX760 | Monitors: Dell P2210 | Keyboard: Logitech k270 | Mouse: Logitech M185

Here's a little bit more info about my setup that may be helpful. The Raid array that I have is only used for programs installed on the computer and downloads. The 2TB drive is where all my files go, which are then backed up to an external 2TB drive every night. So I'm not worried about losing files but more of the inconvenience of the whole thing.

attachicon.gifasdf.jpg

Health Test Looks Good.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Error Scan Looks Good.

attachicon.gifads.JPG

This is what is confusing me, Health and Error tests come back clean but the benchmark shows that there is a problem. Shouldn't the Health and Benchmark agree at least?

Does the drive sound weird when it is writing or reading? I think there might be a problem either your Raid controller/Raid array but don't know what the problem is. Check with your power settings to make sure that the hard disk is not set to turn off after a specific amount of time: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/140592-hard-drive-turn-off-hard-disk-after-idle-never.html

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The array could be a bit messed up, try deleting the array and creating a new one.or try using both drives individually after deleting the array, see if they is still a problem moving the files onto your 400GB.

Also check the cables, i know it sound daft, but you would be surprised how many times its something stupid like lose cable

Back up files first though, 

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Alright so I believe I figured it out. I ran the error test again but this time I deselected the quick scan. After about 24 hours its about halfway done and has found quite a few errors. I think I'll let it finish out, but ya definately need a new drive.

post-130-0-48428500-1375190580.jpg

Here's disk manager saying it's healthy but at risk.

post-130-0-31053800-1375190588.jpg

If it is just some mechanical part of the HDD that is going becuase of wear and tear, you may be able to replace it. I don't know if you would rather just get another HDD but it may be worth a shot.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Alright so I believe I figured it out. I ran the error test again but this time I deselected the quick scan. After about 24 hours its about halfway done and has found quite a few errors. I think I'll let it finish out, but ya definately need a new drive.

attachicon.gifasdfsd.JPG

attachicon.gifsdafasdf.JPG

Looks completely goosed that mate...:(

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

attachicon.gifasdfsd.JPG

attachicon.gifsdafasdf.JPG

I would back up all your stuff and replace the faulty one with the new one and recreate the raid array. If you are looking for a cheap drive, I would get a Seagate Barracuda since they are cheap and fast. I have been using one for quite a while and have not lost any barracuda drives yet.

mabye format the problem drives fixed a simeler issue for me.

@egibbys Crazy story, i was watching linus latest video. went to the sponsor link in the description which was corsair.I saw their Corsair 300r windowed case and searched it on YouTube, then i clicked on fourth video from the top and i started watching it and at around 1:31 minutes in and you started describing the Raid configuration(Home setup with the Corsair 300r video) and i was like "Ive heard this somewhere before" lol and i remembered the pictures of your HDDs on this forum. Pretty crazy i only read your post and never looked at your build specs. Cool setup Though.

"You are who you choose to be.....Choose"

See my Profile for my 

Back up all ya stuff and do it fast!!!

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!