1080p 27" or 1080p 23"?

Caito

It appears most people here would disagree with me, but I have a BenQ XL2720T & I think it's perfectly fine for 1080p. I sit, well.... just short of a leg-length's distance away from my screen? Not sure how far that is exactly, but maybe 3 or 4 foot? Which sounds like a lot, but it's really not.... so maybe that's a way-over exaggeration.

Anyway, yeah, 27" is fine for 1080p. A problem I do have though, is that pretty much anything less than 1080p does quite noticably look not so great when full-screened. Can be very blocky. I really have to try to make sure that everything I watch is atleast 720p, I mean, anything less is certainly still watchable, but then it's just never really as clear... obviously. Although, I say that, I just tried a Linus video at 360p & a Futurama episode I've ... not torrented (because torrenting is bad!). Pretty sure the Futurama ep is in 360p. Or, atleast, a 360p rip of a HD broadcast. Anyway, point being, the Linus video looked way worse. The Futurama episode was more-than perfectly watachable. So, that's probably YouTube being YouTube with all their stupid encoding & what-have-you. 

So, I guess, it all really just depends on what you plan on doing & whether or not you want such a large screen. I mean, that's one thing you do have to consider as well. 27" is very large. It's not the most ideal screen to take to LANs; believe me, between my XL2720T & my rig (in a HAF X case) it certainly becomes quite a little mission.

I suppose one last thing I would consider, as well, is whether or not you're doing 3D. Now, I'm not sure whether or not those monitors support it, I haven't checked, but I certainly don't regret going for such a big screen when I do 3D stuff. Having such a large screen, taking up so much of your vision, I find makes it a much more immersive experience. So if you're gonna do 3D, definitely go for the 27" model!

It appears most people here would disagree with me, but I have a BenQ XL2720T & I think it's perfectly fine for 1080p. I sit, well.... just short of a leg-length's distance away from my screen? Not sure how far that is exactly, but maybe 3 or 4 foot? Which sounds like a lot, but it's really not.... so maybe that's a way-over exaggeration.

Anyway, yeah, 27" is fine for 1080p. A problem I do have though, is that pretty much anything less than 1080p does quite noticably look not so great when full-screened. Can be very blocky. I really have to try to make sure that everything I watch is atleast 720p, I mean, anything less is certainly still watchable, but then it's just never really as clear... obviously. Although, I say that, I just tried a Linus video at 360p & a Futurama episode I've ... not torrented (because torrenting is bad!). Pretty sure the Futurama ep is in 360p. Or, atleast, a 360p rip of a HD broadcast. Anyway, point being, the Linus video looked way worse. The Futurama episode was more-than perfectly watachable. So, that's probably YouTube being YouTube with all their stupid encoding & what-have-you.

So, I guess, it all really just depends on what you plan on doing & whether or not you want such a large screen. I mean, that's one thing you do have to consider as well. 27" is very large. It's not the most ideal screen to take to LANs; believe me, between my XL2720T & my rig (in a HAF X case) it certainly becomes quite a little mission.

I suppose one last thing I would consider, as well, is whether or not you're doing 3D. Now, I'm not sure whether or not those monitors support it, I haven't checked, but I certainly don't regret going for such a big screen when I do 3D stuff. Having such a large screen, taking up so much of your vision, I find makes it a much more immersive experience. So if you're gonna do 3D, definitely go for the 27" model!

experience.

No no 3d for me. Maybe a few years down the line I'll buy a 3d monitor but not in the plans for now.

PC Specs: Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: Maximus VI Formula; CPU: Intel Haswell I5 4670k; CPU Cooler: Intel Stock (for now); RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x4GB 1600 MHz; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD; HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black; SSD: Samsung 840 EVO; PSU: Corsair AX 860; Monitor: Asus MX23H

when you step up to the 27-30" screen size, you should always be considering either 1440p or 1600p.

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Smaller screen + bigger res = sharper image :)

If you are able to see them side by side in some kind of store like frys your will notice how much larger a 27" screen is compared to a 23" very easily but you wont notice the reduced quality as much. Its a trade off but ive certainly gotten used to it going from a 23" 1080p screen and prefer the larger one.

You will really appreciate it if you watch videos on your computer or play games. Also having a larger screen will let you work multiple documents at the same time without having to zoom in to see the text easily.

I had the same debate when I choosing between the two models as you are and certainly have no regrets going with the larger one.

If you are able to see them side by side in some kind of store like frys your will notice how much larger a 27" screen is compared to a 23" very easily but you wont notice the reduced quality as much. Its a trade off but ive certainly gotten used to it going from a 23" 1080p screen and prefer the larger one.

You will really appreciate it if you watch videos on your computer or play games. Also having a larger screen will let you work multiple documents at the same time without having to zoom in to see the text easily.

I had the same debate when I choosing between the two models as you are and certainly have no regrets going with the larger one.

Cool dude. I'll certainly try to do that. Also one other question (kind of off topic but hey its my thread so who cares). Since you have the monitor i wanted to ask if the speakers are any good?

PC Specs: Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: Maximus VI Formula; CPU: Intel Haswell I5 4670k; CPU Cooler: Intel Stock (for now); RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x4GB 1600 MHz; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD; HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black; SSD: Samsung 840 EVO; PSU: Corsair AX 860; Monitor: Asus MX23H

Cool dude. I'll certainly try to do that. Also one other question (kind of off topic but hey its my thread so who cares). Since you have the monitor i wanted to ask if the speakers are any good?

Thats a hard question to answer. Really depends what you are used to. I have a logtiech 5.1 system that was already setup before I got the monitor so ofcourse that I can't compare. When I watch TV I have a real 5.1 medial system setup there and when Im not home I use $180 headphones so as for me no they are not good haha

If you have a laptop, expect something a little better than that but not as good as a tv. I guess small TV speaker would be a good comparison. They get decently loud but sound hollow.

Thats a hard question to answer. Really depends what you are used to. I have a logtiech 5.1 system that was already setup before I got the monitor so ofcourse that I can't compare. When I watch TV I have a real 5.1 medial system setup there and when Im not home I use $180 headphones so as for me no they are not good haha

If you have a laptop, expect something a little better than that but not as good as a tv. I guess small TV speaker would be a good comparison. They get decently loud but sound hollow.

Alright I see. Thanks for all your help!

24 inch. 1920X1200

Ok what does that mean and how is it at all relevant to this thread.

Ok what does that mean and how is it at all relevant to this thread.

16:10, is much nicer looking than 16:9 with a 24 inch form factor. You get a fair bit more screen vertically.

Personally I'd go for the 27 inch over the 23 1080p. I currently have a 27 inch and a 23 inch 1080p the 27 inch is a massive improvement for and the pros of size versus the con of lower pixel density is more than worth it for my set up.

Of course that's just my preference, you really should go to a store and take a look and compare the pixel density. I also sit decently far from my monitors I'm about an arms length and a half away from my primary center monitor which is about 3 and a half to 4 feet away. (I have 4 monitors, so I need and prefer to be a decent distance to view all the screen real-estate if I feel the need to turn them all on.)

You could also take the gamble and pick up one of those awesome cheap Korean monitor 1440p displays off ebay.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

16:10, is much nicer looking than 16:9 with a 24 inch form factor. You get a fair bit more screen vertically.

Personally I'd go for the 27 inch over the 23 1080p. I currently have a 27 inch and a 23 inch 1080p the 27 inch is a massive improvement for and the pros of size versus the con of lower pixel density is more than worth it for my set up.

Of course that's just my preference, you really should go to a store and take a look and compare the pixel density. I also sit decently far from my monitors I'm about an arms length and a half away from my primary center monitor which is about 3 and a half to 4 feet away. (I have 4 monitors, so I need and prefer to be a decent distance to view all the screen real-estate if I feel the need to turn them all on.)

You could also take the gamble and pick up one of those awesome cheap Korean monitor 1440p displays off ebay.

Ok I see. I'll definitely consider it although I really like the look of the MX239H/MX279H. Thank you for the explanation.