Potentially crossfire 290's

So I currently have this build: 

My Computer: Cpu: AMD Fx-8350 (4.2GHz) Gpu: Radeon R9 290 (1085 mhz core 1300 mem)Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA Ram: G-Skill 16 GB Monitor: 2x Acer 21.5" Widescreen LCD Peripherals: ---Headset: Turtle Beach X60's ---Eye-wear: Gunnar MLG Phantoms ---Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7 ---Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Ultimate Mechanical

and i am planning to add this monitor to the middle of the setup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160253&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

(if you know of a better 2K monitor please tell me)

and so the question is would throwing in another 290 cause too much heat problems? Under load currently i sit around 65-70C and i have the sapphire Tri-X OC card.  Does anyone own 2 of these? or know someone who does? i cant find info anywhere about what temps i would see and such.  Thanks for the help in advance!

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

Upgrade you CPU first, that is a bottleneck

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

burning-laptop-100573469-primary.idge.jp

(Just kidding, I'm just that one Team Green person that likes to s*** on AMD's heat and drivers :P)

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Upgrade you CPU first, that is a bottleneck

Even an i5 would in certain games. My i5-4670 is a massive problem in games like Cities: Skylines.

So I currently have this build: 

My Computer: Cpu: AMD Fx-8350 (4.2GHz) Gpu: Radeon R9 290 (1085 mhz core 1300 mem)Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA Ram: G-Skill 16 GB Monitor: 2x Acer 21.5" Widescreen LCD Peripherals: ---Headset: Turtle Beach X60's ---Eye-wear: Gunnar MLG Phantoms ---Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7 ---Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Ultimate Mechanical

and i am planning to add this monitor to the middle of the setup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160253&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

(if you know of a better 2K monitor please tell me)

and so the question is would throwing in another 290 cause too much heat problems? Under load currently i sit around 65-70C and i have the sapphire Tri-X OC card.  Does anyone own 2 of these? or know someone who does? i cant find info anywhere about what temps i would see and such.  Thanks for the help in advance!

Apart from the fact that your cou will probably be a big bottleneck, you better have an insane PSU. Two 290's and a 8350 all one full load will (if I calculate correctly) add up to approximately 750-850W (anyone able/care to verify this?).

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

oh i know that the CPU needs switched over. Im saving up for intel and the graphics card is gonna be a gift. Also the bottleneck lessens as the resolution increases so for the first few months it wont be bad

Apart from the fact that your cou will probably be a big bottleneck, you better have an insane PSU. Two 290's and a 8350 all one full load will (if I calculate correctly) add up to approximately 750-850W (anyone able/care to verify this?).

yeah rosewill 1200 watt because i knew it would suck lots of watts

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

oh i know that the CPU needs switched over.  Im saving up for intel and the graphics card is gonna be a gift.  Also the bottleneck lessens as the resolution increases so for the first few months it wont be bad

No that bottleneck is going to be REALLLY bad

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

oh i know that the CPU needs switched over.  Im saving up for intel and the graphics card is gonna be a gift.  Also the bottleneck lessens as the resolution increases so for the first few months it wont be bad

Well yeah, but having 2 290's to play 1080p on 60fps is kind of an overkill (to put it gently). I'd upgrade the processor first since the most difference a second 290 will probably make is more energy consumption.

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

yup even better i own a fx 8350 with r9 290 ofcourse not crossfire.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

No that bottleneck is going to be REALLLY bad

Well yeah, but having 2 290's to play 1080p on 60fps is kind of an overkill (to put it gently). I'd upgrade the processor first since the most difference a second 290 will probably make is more energy consumption.

whats the minimum intel chip i would need to not bottleneck this? 

•  

Wow a single r9 290 can run EASY at 1080p this card is even made for 1440p ;/

you are god damn right

Even an i5 would in certain games. My i5-4670 is a massive problem in games like Cities: Skylines.

CIties of skylines is eating cores for breakfast "the more cores the better " for cities skylines

burning-laptop-100573469-primary.idge.jpg

(Just kidding, I'm just that one Team Green person that likes to s*** on AMD's heat and drivers :P)

lel just saying the r9 390 runs as hot as the 970

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Wow a single r9 290 can run EASY at 1080p this card is even made for 1440p ;/

you are god damn right 

yeah this thread is about the fact that i want to move to 2K and feel like having 2 cards will keep me good for years

•  

whats the minimum intel chip i would need to not bottleneck this? 

I think you'll be looking at a 4th/5th gen i7/xeon. @Senzelian mentioned a single 290 being bottlenecked by his 4th gen i5 sometimes.

My System:

Spoiler

I think you'll be looking at a 4th/5th gen i7/xeon. @Senzelian mentioned a single 290 being bottlenecked by his 4th gen i5 sometimes.

Not exactly. I said my i5 is a bottleneck for Cities Skylines. But my i5 also works together with two GTX 980s which is a big difference.

But even an i5 can be a problem for two 290s. I would get at least something hyper-threaded with 4 cores. i7s are perfect.

Not exactly. I said my i5 is a bottleneck for Cities Skylines. But my i5 also works together with two GTX 980s which is a big difference.

But even an i5 can be a problem for two 290s. I would get at least something hyper-threaded with 4 cores. i7s are perfect.

now im not gonna say the 8350 doesnt bottleneck because i have seen the graphs that say that it does.  But i am scrolling through benchmarks of the r9 290 and i currently am outperforming them from my own benchmarks. here are mine

Cpu: Fx 8350 (Stock)

GPU: R9 290(Core: 1085  Memory: 1300)

Benchmarks:

3Dmark (Firestrike):

• 3Dmark (Graphics Score): 10936

• 3Dmark (Physics Score):7347

• 3Dmark (Combined Score): 2683

Max Temp (Celsius): 68

Link To Result: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7636707?

Bioshock Infinite (avg FPS, min FPS, Max FPS): 95.96, 11.07, 415.08

Max Temp (Celsius): 64

Metro Benchmark: (best of 3 runs, AVG FPS): 73.75

Max Temp (Celsius): 70

Settings:

DirectX: DirectX 11

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Quality: Very High

Texture Filtering: AF 16x

Motion Blur: Normal

SSAA: Disabled

Tesselation: Very High

Advanced PhysX: Disabled

•  

But an i5 along with two GTX 980s would still not perform optimal with those games, since they require more cores/threads right?

My System:

Spoiler

650 will do it but youll have a furnace there for a tower ;)

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

yeah this thread is about the fact that i want to move to 2K and feel like having 2 cards will keep me good for years

If you want to "future proof" (as far as that is possible), your single 290 is more "future proof" than you CPU. Meaning that upgrading you CPU will probably keep you satisfied with your overall experience longer than upgrading your GPU.
It is Possible to run 290s with that CPU, it's just that nobody recommends it because you will need to upgrade your CPU pretty soon anyway if you want to actually benefit from the two 290s.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-r9-290-crossfire-review-benchmarks,4.html

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/7

If you want any overclock and/or be safe, I think 650 will not make it. Without OC I find 493 + 213 = 706W for the GPUs and CPU under heavy load. guru3D advices at least 800 on an average system wit 2 290s, so that would be even more with an overclocked 8350.

My System:

Spoiler

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-r9-290-crossfire-review-benchmarks,4.html

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/11/06/amd-fx-8350-review/7

If you want any overclock and/or be safe, I think 650 will not make it. Without OC I find 493 + 213 = 706W for the GPUs and CPU under heavy load. guru3D advices at least 800 on an average system wit 2 290s, so that would be even more with an overclocked 8350.

As I had to let others know in the past I have had hands on experience . So yea It would be safer is which the FURNACE comment was made. Anyhow im a sport . Throw Guru and Linus and Jays and Nerdgasm in there with Toms Hardware etc. Its ok. Im just telling what I know HANDS On. ;) . ANYHOW GET A INTEL CHIP DANGIT .. YOU wont go wrong and you be happier . Believe me! ^_^

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

But an i5 along with two GTX 980s would still not perform optimal with those games, since they require more cores/threads right?

That is practically what I said. Any game that requires good multicore perfoamance would be a problem for the i5, because the i5 isn't hyper-threaded.

So when people always say the the 8350 is a bottleneck, then they are right, but then they shouldn't recommend i5s, because in certain games they also can be a bottleneck.

Even an i7-5960X can be a bottleneck, cause in some cases an i7-4790k can perform better, because of a much higher clockspeed.

The word bottleneck does only make sense in certain scenarios and that is why I hate it when people use it. 

Let me Re define what I was trying to say in the 1st place . 650 will run it but I wouldn't depend on that PSU lasting too long. It will be hot enough to pop popcorn at the exhaust shortly after any load hits it. Then youll hear a crackle and pop and then no power at all to the tower.

If you want to "future proof" (as far as that is possible), your single 290 is more "future proof" than you CPU. Meaning that upgrading you CPU will probably keep you satisfied with your overall experience longer than upgrading your GPU. 

It is Possible to run 290s with that CPU, it's just that nobody recommends it because you will need to upgrade your CPU pretty soon anyway if you want to actually benefit from the two 290s.

well is it weird for me to be getting better than the fps most people get in their benchmarks if im "bottlenecking" the card? Maybe its just an odd case?

•  

Let me Re define what I was trying to say in the 1st place . 650 will run it but I wouldn't depend on that PSU lasting too long. It will be hot enough to pop popcorn at the exhaust shortly after any load hits it. Then youll hear a crackle and pop and then no power at all to the tower.

Haha, hope that didn't happen to your PSU. Should've looked at your signature before responding.

well is it weird for me to be getting better than the fps most people get in their benchmarks if im "bottlenecking" the card? Maybe its just an odd case?

Could be, but I'm not sure you are bottlenecking it now. All everyone is trying to say is that if you have money you want to spend on your system (all though I don't get the idea you are unsatisfied right now) you should look for a new CPU since that will become a problem sooner than the single 290. Also if you are still satisfied with you system and you are only looking to be more "futureproof", save your money. By the time your system will be too outdated there will be new generations CPUs and GPUs offering more performance for the same amount of money and you can buy what you need then. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

My System:

Spoiler

Haha, hope that didn't happen to your PSU. Should've looked at your signature before responding.

LOL its ok bro. I did have a old setup that did.. Remember them magma bricks the 4670's back in the day. Crossfired them to a old Phenom chip . ANYHOW that 500 wat PSU I was using 1 day I noticed some heat hitting my leg.. Looked at it was running something.. Walked away and  SNAP!!!!!!!!!!  like some fireworks going off. yea ^_^  was happy that thing died

Could be, but I'm not sure you are bottlenecking it now. All everyone is trying to say is that if you have money you want to spend on your system (all though I don't get the idea you are unsatisfied right now) you should look for a new CPU since that will become a problem sooner than the single 290. Also if you are still satisfied with you system and you are only looking to be more "futureproof", save your money. By the time your system will be too outdated there will be new generations CPUs and GPUs offering more performance for the same amount of money and you can buy what you need then. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

yeah im not dissatisfied with my system, but more that i wish to move to 2K soon and stuff. I see it as taking another step

•