difference between arkham city & gotham?

Tocsin_786

we all know batman's home city is Gotham, but why do the batman games take place in arkham city? where and when did arkham city ever come in, in the batman DC universe? ive never understood. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

in the lore of the game, a portion of gotham was sectioned off as a prison hence Arkham city

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

As @felixbearpig put it, Arkham City was a section of Gotham City that was turned into a prison for criminals to run rampant. It was designed(according to the main villain) to protect citizens from criminals. In Arkham Asylum, it did not take place in Arkham City. There was no Arkham City in that game - it took place on Arkham Island aka Arkham Asylum. Arkham Origin takes place before both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, and thus during that game, Arkham City wasn't in existence.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

gotham is new york arkam city is rhode island

Arkham City is within Gotham city...

"Rawr XD"

im generalizeing it. cus rhode island is an island so is gotham

oh in that case, it should have been NYC, and long island. but yea i get it now. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since.