3D Stills and Video-Anyone doing this

Like the title says is there anyone who captures their media this way. Im interested to see how many others here have an interest and if you are interested in a discussion thread for 3D shooting.

I purchased 3D vision at launch and like many others have been left with disappointment over the lack of support for this awsome tech. I started shooting 3D images a number of years ago using a single lens dslr and capturing left and right images. A year ago i purchased a Fuji W3 3D point and shoot and now im able to capture video in 3d also. Very fun and rewarding hobby, helps pass the time while waiting for the next title which is 3d ready lol

anyways, its simple stupid easy to get started and you only require a 3d setup and single lens cam (cell cam works) along with some free software. Im no pro but i do know a few tricks which will help you.

Drop a post if your interested

If there was and easy / cheap but not too "home made" way to do it with existing equipment... I might do it, and also show my parents too.  I was checking out using a prism or mirror combo.

Then there's the problem with viewing.  3D has been too disappointing so far, especially with the end equipment.  Hardware companies got to hype and sell their 3D tv's and technology (nvidea 3d vision, sub standard hdmi specs, shutter glasses, lack of dual projections support...  :rolleyes: ) but ruined the perception from end users.

I think 3D needs to fade away for now until there's something that will allow more then a couple of people to enjoy at a time then come back and redeem itself.  Not saying at all one should stop creating 3D content.

Though I'm more of a panoramic person.  I remember my first trek into panoramic pictures over a decade ago with the Canon Photostitch software that came with the camera (yes, useful software that was only available on the CD!).  I took a bunch of panoramic over the years, but few cared.  It just faded out of the market.  But now it's coming back... native panoramic in smart phones, and even panoramic stitching from video.  This is mainly due to better hardware and software advances.  Now with super high megapixel cameras at low cost, will 360 view make a comeback?  (I still remember the first research at my school using 360 camera+mirror combo in the engineering lobby lol).

I would like to see someone use the Lytro camera for 3D shots.  That would be an interesting setup.

What's your setup for capturing and viewing?

My Rigs (past and present)

For me, I had the 3d vision glasses/emitter anyways so it was of no cost and my wife has a DSLR which I used for capturing my images.  I worked like this for a year or so and purchased a Fuji W3 3d point/shoot but its quality is far from what the dslr offers.  The W3 has an advantage of capturing video and stills natively in 3D.

Here is my link on 3d vision live.  These were all taken with the DSLR, ive uploaded none of the Fuji shots.  There was no setting up for these shots-take one shot, move over a few inches and take another.  Combine the two images and done.

Check it out http://photos.3dvisionlive.com/cravinmild/

Others on that site upload the most amazing images, very pro indeed.   If you limit your 3d setups to strictly gaming your going to have a lot of down time while waiting for something worthwhile to game.  This helps keep the 3d fun going while you cant game.  3D is not going to die, its evolving and will continue to for a long while.